European League discussion (La Liga, Ligue 1 etc) - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Sponsored Links

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 12.07.2010, 02:08 PM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default

Rumours in France are rife that Lyon will get Gourcuff for around £14m since Bordeaux are so skint after missing the Champions League.

Wenger ruled Arsenal out (unless Cesc were to be sold in which case I'd expect that to change) but if United are looking at Sneijder... well to me it is no contest. Gourcuff is the better player and is cheaper.
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #22  
Old 23.07.2010, 08:29 AM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default

Looks like Mallorca are going to miss out on the UEFA Cup after all. They are apparently excluded for their financial issues.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 23.07.2010, 09:05 PM
leebladedawg's Avatar
leebladedawg leebladedawg is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 25.11.2005
Posts: 17,158
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
Looks like Mallorca are going to miss out on the UEFA Cup after all. They are apparently excluded for their financial issues.
Its a shame that as they deserve a break considering how small they actually are, they have just had to sell Adruz to Valencia as well due to the problems
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 26.07.2010, 08:58 AM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default

I am writing a series of articles about players whose careers have not reached expectations for various reasons. The first one is up on wewererobbed if any of you are interested.

The first one is one ex Betis, Zaragoza, Milan and Valencia striker Ricardo Oliveira.

Other stuff that may interest someone (hopefully) is a the previews for Lille, Bordeaux and Bayern Munich.

On a side note it is interesting to see what is going on with the French team, I am going to have a look and see if I can come up with a squad I would select.

Some players I think are nailed on certainties (allowing for injuries) are Samir Nasri, Karim Benzema, Moussa Sissoko, Rod Fanni, Yann M'vila, Adil Rami, Mikeal Landreau and likely Aly Cissokho. I also wouldn't be shocked if Benoit Tremoulinas and Mathieu Chalme get called up since Blanc had a lot of success with them as an attacking full-backs at Bordeaux.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 26.07.2010, 09:18 AM
vann_mcelroy's Avatar
vann_mcelroy vann_mcelroy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 23.08.2004
Posts: 17,449
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
I am writing a series of articles about players whose careers have not reached expectations for various reasons. The first one is up on wewererobbed if any of you are interested.

The first one is one ex Betis, Zaragoza, Milan and Valencia striker Ricardo Oliveira.

Other stuff that may interest someone (hopefully) is a the previews for Lille, Bordeaux and Bayern Munich.

On a side note it is interesting to see what is going on with the French team, I am going to have a look and see if I can come up with a squad I would select.

Some players I think are nailed on certainties (allowing for injuries) are Samir Nasri, Karim Benzema, Moussa Sissoko, Rod Fanni, Yann M'vila, Adil Rami, Mikeal Landreau and likely Aly Cissokho. I also wouldn't be shocked if Benoit Tremoulinas and Mathieu Chalme get called up since Blanc had a lot of success with them as an attacking full-backs at Bordeaux.
French players only ? how about Jerome Rothen, from CL finalist ( intergral part of that team that took apart chelsea) to PAOK Salonica and slumming it in Greece.

Edit . I see your doing players from all countries, interesting topic. There have been so many, that either way its bound to be an intetersting read, will check that site out.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 26.07.2010, 09:31 AM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann_mcelroy View Post
French players only ? how about Jerome Rothen, from CL finalist ( intergral part of that team that took apart chelsea) to PAOK Salonica and slumming it in Greece.

Edit . I see your doing players from all countries, interesting topic. There have been so many, that either way its bound to be an intetersting read, will check that site out.
Rothen was a player who I thought was a product of a good side, he had a great left foot but I thought it was Deschamps who got the most out of the players as opposed to them being great players per se. It was an interesting final I felt that CL final in 2004. It was the ultimate example of how good management and tactics can take a team far further than talent without a plan. Mourinho represents the ultimate example of that in my mind but Deschamps is a hugely under-rated manager.

It's interesting that with that Monaco side they had a fantastic bench including Adebayor, Dado Prso, Jaroslav Plasil and Sebastian Squillaci. I think Deschamps was very good though at putting players on the pitch who bought into the team ethos as opposed to the most talented players. Adebayor was even then imo the best player in the squad but he was just too immature to get it. Where as guy like Akis Zikos and Lucas Bernardi were massive over-achievers who had success, a bit like Maniche did with Porto. I felt Rothen fit that category albeit with an excellent cross on him.

In terms of others to write about I am looking at players I felt could have been "world beaters" or "stars" if things had gone well. You could write a whole list of ex-Betis players who fit that mould! Speaking of Monaco one that leaps to mind is Camel Meriem - excellent talent but it never happened.

I think next will be Sebastian Deisler, a player who was imo destined for greatness and a player whose career died through little fault of his own.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 26.07.2010, 03:04 PM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default

regarding the France squad:

Here is what I expect to see Blance pick, give or take. It's a bloody good squad.

GK
Mickeal Landreau
Sebastian Frey
Matthieu Dreyer (or Nicholas Douchez)

DF
Adil Rami
Phillipe Mexes
Michael Ciani
Laurent Koscielny
Rod Fanni
Aly Cissokho
Benoit Tremoulinas (or Jermey Mathieu)

DMF
Lassana Diarra
Yann M'vila
Moussa Sissoko
Mathieu Flamini

AMF
Etiene Capoue
Samir Nasri
Hatem Ben Arfa
Loic Remy
Sylvain Marveaux (or Gabriel Obertan)

FWD
Karim Benzema
Jimmy Briand
Louis Saha
Bafatimbi Gomis (or Gael Kakuta)


Starting XI guess...

-----------------------------Landreau-------------------------------
---Fanni----------Mexes-----------------Rami-----------Cissokho----
----------------------L.Diarra----------M'vila------------------------
--------------------------------Nasri--------------------------------
---------------Remy-------------------------------------Ben Arfa---
-----------------------------Benzema-------------------------------
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 26.07.2010, 03:10 PM
vann_mcelroy's Avatar
vann_mcelroy vann_mcelroy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 23.08.2004
Posts: 17,449
Default

Didnt Frey announce his international retirement a while back?

Or was that only while Domenech was in charge?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 26.07.2010, 03:32 PM
olig23's Avatar
olig23 olig23 is offline
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: 16.07.2005
Posts: 4,893
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann_mcelroy View Post
Didnt Frey announce his international retirement a while back?

Or was that only while Domenech was in charge?
If he did I wasn't aware of it. If so I think they should just selct the other two players I mentioned. Would love to see them pick Jeremy Janot just because he is cool! Either way I think al three WC keepers will get their places back.

Also I forgot Kevin Gamiero and Blaise Matuidi who will likely be in with a shout of getting in the squad.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 26.07.2010, 10:24 PM
vann_mcelroy's Avatar
vann_mcelroy vann_mcelroy is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: 23.08.2004
Posts: 17,449
Default

I am guessing all South American topics can go in this thread as well.
Mano doesnt waste time, how long has he been the Brazil coach? 2 days... named his first squad already, great to see Renan Soares Reuter in there, the next great Brazilian Goalie. Hernanes gets a call up at long last, been ages since he played last.

Most of the WC players get a rest, some like Melo and Elano may have been dropped for good.
Ronaldinho left out , may as well announce his International retirement.


Goalkeepers: Victor (Gremio), Renan (Avai), Jefferson (Botafogo)

Defenders: Daniel Alves (Barcelona), Rafael (Manchester United), Andre Santos (Fenerbahce), Marcelo (Real Madrid), David Luiz (Benfica), Henrique (Racing), Rever (Atletico-MG), Thiago Silva (Milan)

Midfielders: Sandro (Internacional), Ramires (Benfica), Lucas (Liverpool), Jucilei (Corinthians), Ganso (Santos), Ederson (Lyon), Hernanes (Sao Paulo), Carlos Eduardo (Hoffenheim)

Forwards: Robinho (Santos), Diego Tardelli (Atletico-MG), Alexandre Pato (Milan), Andre (Santos), Neymar (Santos)

Last edited by vann_mcelroy; 26.07.2010 at 10:26 PM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Sponsored Links


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 09:04 AM.