The Dalton Dilemna - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Cincinnati Bengals

Sponsored Links

View Poll Results: What should we do re Dalton?
Sign him to a long contract now 3 23.08%
Wait & see what he does this year 6 46.15%
Look elsewhere now 0 0%
Draft his replacement-release him after 2014 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 31.03.2014, 04:27 PM
Team Captain

Default The Dalton Dilemna

Again-just to maintain interest while we wait for the draft.
Interested in thoughts on what seems to me a very big question which Mike Brown recently alluded to- what should we do with Dalton?
Sponsored Links
Old 31.03.2014, 04:38 PM
Team Captain

This is a real tough one for me.Even though I have been defensive of Dalton, it has been on the basis of there being no-one I can see doing better rather than I think he will lead us to a SB.
All options have problem possibilities:
1) We commit big money and he still shows inability to win big games.
2) We wait, he progresses into a top QB & demands Flacco money
3) Who is available in FA who is an improvement?
4) See (2) above. Plus - draft QB = lottery

I say we commit (if he will sign) to him. I'm hoping he will improve & become an experienced leader who can game-manage us through games with the back-up of a top 10 D.
Rationale remains - I see no better alternative on the horizon.
I know it's not ideal, but it is where we are at I think.

Last edited by bengalblueboy1; 31.03.2014 at 04:43 PM.
Old 31.03.2014, 05:52 PM
MVP

Move down from our first round pick into the second and pick up an extra third or future pick. Draft Mettenberger and have an open competition.

For me that would be the ideal way to handle it. Make it a genuine open competition and if Dalton thrives under the pressure it's good for us but if he performs badly we know we can move on. Win/win in the short-term or long-term.

However, we'll extend him for another three years to above average money and will accept being a good but not great team who will never fulfil our potential.
Old 31.03.2014, 07:14 PM
Starter

I went with sign him now, He is not bad but neither is he great and with the right deal he could develop into a franchise QB, his stats were not bad at all for yardage and TD's but a few areas in his game last year he needs to improve.
If we would have won the Wildcard game this year I am sure we would all be behind Dalton all the way, just hoping with experience he would control himself under pressure and throw the ball out, not over the top of AJ's head into the arms of the opposing DB's.
that and into the D-line. that is one that bugs me.
I put our fate in Daltons hands, for the right price.
Old 31.03.2014, 08:29 PM
Pro Bowler

One thing he has proven thus far is durability. He hasn't been injury prone. He's an above average QB - Just. I think his stats are flattered because of the supporting cast he has.

Unfortunately he has brain fade too often. He flashes brilliance on occasions but the Bengals need a consistent performer.

I went with 'see what he does in 2014'..... I say, draft a QB this year, play Dalton in 2014 and develop a potential replacement. If Dalton falls short of the mark, (i.e doesn't play at a consistent level or fail to win a playoff game) cut him loose and jog him on.
Old 31.03.2014, 09:49 PM
All Pro

We're wasting a talented roster with an average QB.

Theres always someone better. Just ask the 49ers when they replace the proto-typical Mr Average with a talented rookie QB with a high ceiling.

We just need to find one, draft and red shirt if necessary, or draft next year. Just don't overpay the next Matt Schaub.
Old 31.03.2014, 10:24 PM
Team Captain

I'd do anything but commit to him long-term. Here's the option I like.

1) Don't re-sign him but keep the faith. If he wins and comes up big next year then i'd have zero problem giving him a few million more a year.

2) Don't re-sign him and draft a QB high. My favourite, I don't believe in Dalton at all, he will not improve and I don't think he'll ever 'get it', we can't count on him. If the buzz around Bridgewater dropping is real then we HAVE to take him. If we don't I'd just completely lose faith in the decision-makers of the organisation. If we draft a guy who works out, Dalton walks and we get a nice 3rd round compensation pick most likely. Goodbye.

3) Give him a 2 year extension and draft a guy fairly early with upside. See Alex Smith/Kaepernick basically.

Whatever we do, we can't give him a big extension...We simply can't. He hasn't earned it and the fact his side now appears to be calling the shots irritates me and is making a mockery of Lewis/Brown's loyalty. Thank yourself lucky we're sticking with you Andy, take the most likely generous deal and earn the big bucks by not screwing up and looking like a rabbit in the headlights once it matters.

The whole Flacco thing is silly. If Dalton goes and wins us our first ever Superbowl then frankly I doubt we'll care that he's earning $20m a year. He won us a Superbowl!

But yeah, bottom line, if Manziel, Bortles or Bridgewater are there at 24 and we pass on them. We officially have clowns running the team who are content on just 'being ok' and as a fan, I find that insulting.

Last edited by matthews07; 31.03.2014 at 10:28 PM.
Old 06.04.2014, 04:17 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthews07
The whole Flacco thing is silly. If Dalton goes and wins us our first ever Superbowl then frankly I doubt we'll care that he's earning $20m a year. He won us a Superbowl!

But yeah, bottom line, if Manziel, Bortles or Bridgewater are there at 24 and we pass on them. We officially have clowns running the team who are content on just 'being ok' and as a fan, I find that insulting.
I know what you mean -if he wins a Superbowl then pay him what he wants. Hard to disagree or even look past that one goal. But that price would be significantly higher than any deal now, and may handcuff our ability to stay strong going forward.

The problem with option four remains the fact that drafting QB's remains a lottery. Do we give up a 1st or 2nd round draft pick on a 'possible' replacement instead of an (almost) guranteed starter at DB,DE,OL or LB?
Doesn't help reading Adam Schein reporting "The Louisville product has a problem, succinctly explained to me by an NFL general manager: "Bridgewater can't throw."

Extend Dalton to a good, but not crazy, contract -draft BPA in first 2 rounds and draft a QB with potential in the mid rounds -that would be my option.
Old 06.04.2014, 05:15 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by bengalblueboy1 View Post
Doesn't help reading Adam Schein reporting "The Louisville product has a problem, succinctly explained to me by an NFL general manager: "Bridgewater can't throw."
On the contrary, that helps massively. If more NFL people think this then there may be a tiny, tiny chance that he falls to us. Not that we'd take him, but we'd have the chance.
Old 06.04.2014, 08:14 PM
Pro Bowler

If the Bengals were to offer Dalton a deal you can guarantee that Dalton's agent will flog the old 'got you to the post season three years in a row' line and won't settle for a low monetary contract anyway.
Being Dalton's agent you can't fault that cos that's what Dalton pays his agent to do - to get the best deal possible. To an extent he has a point - Dalton has been at the helm the past three years.
I say sit on it and see how he goes in 2014-15. If he's looking amazingly good mid season then why not talk to him then.....
I'm sure the Blackburn's have it under control....