Anybody going solo? - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Sponsored Links

Old 23.09.2016, 08:16 PM
Rookie

Having read this thread ive decided to Go solo too ! Similar to other posts Ive run out of friends /Family willing to go the games and with being a giants fan didnt want to miss this one but wasnt sure about goin on my own . So safe in the knowledge im not the only one i bagged a ticket in the re sale . Im travelling from liverpool early sunday So if any one would like to meet up( so i can share my limited knowledge over a beer or 2 ) that would be cool.
Sponsored Links
Old 25.09.2016, 06:10 PM
Rookie

I am going to the Giants/Rams game on my own.

If Neil or anybody else wants to meet up for a beer I will be up for it. I have not bought my train tickets yet so is flexible.
Old 27.09.2016, 07:30 PM
Rookie

Sounds good to me pinhead , maybe we could have a "solo" meeting point in a pub near by ? For whoever fancies it . Ive never been to twickenham or richmond so no idea where would be best . Suggestions Anyone ?
Old 27.09.2016, 08:23 PM
Rookie

Neil, I have never been Twickenham either so if anybody has any suggestions for pubs nearby?

What time will you be getting there at?
Old 27.09.2016, 09:24 PM
Pro

i went solo to all of last years games and its a easy to start conversation, especially if you're wearing some form of team colours, or especially if you hear an American accent a simple hello gets it going. The ones i've met are really friendly and up for a chat.

Ive been to Twickenham quite a lot for England rugby. If you arrive by train, you can turn left out of the station into the high street where there is the cabbage patch pub on one side and another pub opposite, Shack 68 i think, but if you go further on down there is a weatherspoons. If you've got time, look up the Barmy arms which is right down on the river, a really nice spot. These bars are usually busy and do a pretty good job of handling the big crowds. google maps list quite a few in that area.

You'll need to allow about 15 mins to walk to the stadium from the station, which is to the right a you come out. The police usually control pedestrians crossing the main road, so you may have to wait for a few minutes, There isn't much between the station and the ground in terms of pubs, but for the rugby anyway, there are usually lots of street vendors trading from the gardens and the small shops with tables out side. If you like bhajis & somosas, one of the newsagents on the left does some beauties for £1 each.

In the ground, there are plenty of big bars one at each corner at ground level, and smaller bars on the higher level, but the service is usually painfully slow so be prepared. It never ceases to amaze me how bad it can be, you've got literally thousands of people desperate to spend £5 per pint (+ a £1 deposit on a 'souvenir' cup), but a complete lack of a system that allows them to do this, the amount of unspent money taken home per game must make the bean counters weep.

there is all stuff that goes on west side of the ground, which will be worth a look, it's also where the team coaches arrive, it'll be interesting to see how that works out with 50+ on each side.

You can usually go up to the higher levels of the stadium to have a look at the view if you want to. again for the rugby anyway, you have your ticket checked on the perimeter and then again only at the entrance to the actual stands so you're free to roam around a bit if you want. I certainly will.
Old 01.10.2016, 12:39 PM
Starter

I've had two season tickets for a few years now and for the first time this year, I've had issues with filling the extra seat. I've got someone going to the Twickenham and 2nd Wembley games but Colts @ Jags no one is interested.

Travelling up from Kent and will probably have two seats to myself - at least I'll have some extra leg room.
Old 14.10.2016, 08:52 PM
Rookie

Thanks for the intel beesy , sorry for delay in getting back to you pinhead ,ill be in and around twickenham approx 12:30 as long as travel plans go well ( fingers crossed no cows on the line ) cabbage patch sounds good so time for a couple of pre match beers if intrested , really looking forward to the game now just hope the giants end this loosing streak before they get to london !!
Old 16.10.2016, 09:42 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1971 View Post
A fellow Rams fan!

Welcome, there will be a joint Rams - Giants event at The Shack 68 BBQ and Grill in Twickenham.

Look up Los Angeles Rams UK on Facebook for further details.

Rams4Life
Go to most of them on my own. Was due to stay over sat Sun for this one but due to a gout attack a couple of weeks ago cant drink so only coming for the day. Looking forward to a different gameday experience at a new venue so going to get there early. Rams win would be the cherry on the cake.

Tags
international , nfl , solo