The modern history of the game in the UK and a proposal that the UK Hall of Fame - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL in the UK

Sponsored Links

Old 06.08.2006, 10:48 PM
All Pro

Default Re:The modern history of the game in the UK and a proposal that the UK Hall of F

Quote:
I believe ITV first brought the NFL to our TV screens! In 1980 they had a 15-minute highlights of Super Bowl XIV (Steelers-Rams)
I'm almost certain that the BBC showed highlights of a play off game(s) on Grandstand in the late 1970's when that days sport in the UK was wiped out by the weather.

I have no idea who the teams were but I distinctly remember them flashing up 'Happy Holidays' on the screen repeatedly.

I'd actually watched it and quite enjoyed it even though I didn't have a clue what was going on and it was this that made me start watching it when Channel 4 started showing it.
Sponsored Links
Old 10.09.2006, 08:09 AM
Starter

Default Re:The modern history of the game in the UK and a proposal that the UK Hall of F

Great memories indeed!!

I was playing Strong Safety for the B'ham Bulls youth team when Jenson was QB. He was easily the best imported player i've ever seen, but the guy was not nice.

He coached us for a while along with the other American we had at the time - Bob Shoope, great WR and a great bloke - Jenson got frustrated that players were not up to his required level!!

I remember him once at the end of a session(always finished with those good old potato races!!) telling us to go and get some water and then come back out for warm down, he then sent on a huge run around the outside of the sports ground!! Lads were getting stitch and throwing up everywhere.

Happy days.
Old 14.09.2006, 08:59 PM
Rookie

Fantastic, opening article!!!!!
I remember the heady days of nicky horne and that failed (atlanta) flcons kicker mick luckhurst, although i am ashamed to admit it had a poster of him that i collected from the quaterback news paper which then went on i think to become first down? or was it the other way around? any way I grew up with the sport in the days when my beloved cowboys had Danny White at QB and Tony Dorsett at running back. Joe St. Louis attended as a coach at my fathers team the Metropolitan Police side based in Bushey Heatrs. and there centre i think His name was Rob Mason. I was about 11 at the time went with my dad to one of the first training sessions at the police training centre at hendon and Joe actually used me in a demonstration of a couter trap play!!! i was hooked and as the years passed and i started shaving I grew up with the "Mets" and went on to QB for them for two seasons before defecting to the London "O"s as an MLB. Tony Allen was my coach Whom then went on to do rather well for himself with the London Monarchs.
AAAH happy dayzzzzz

Am considering comming out of retirement now living in Ireland and donning the ole pads with the dublin dragons. Great comments guys keep them comming Bought back a lot of happy mems...

Go COWBOYS
and good to see the London O's Win at the weekend

Old 20.09.2006, 08:23 AM
Pro

whatever happened to the London Monarchs? i remember seeing them at wembly stadium as a kid
Old 20.09.2006, 10:17 AM
Hall of Fame

[quote author=movement link=board=4;threadid=7550;start=15#msg499696 date=1158740596]
whatever happened to the London Monarchs? i remember seeing them at wembly stadium as a kid
[/quote]

The league suspended action after the 1992 season, they did the right thing and came back with an all euro format. When they came back in 1995 they used a few silly gimmicks, eg the Fridge, Clive Allen as kicker. Attendances were very low, the quality of allocates wasnt great but we did have Brad Johnson one year who played well despite being on a bad team. Shame big name allocated players came over when London were no more.

Many NFL fans are now 'above' NFLE, eg we have so much live football now and we're swamped with NFL stuff, NFLE is second rate football. Which it is but in a good way, i love seeing teams backups/3rd stringers get gametime so you see how your 3rd string QB does etc.

Attendances dropped big time, a lack of marketing didnt help, go into London and you hardly saw any adverts for games etc, Alton Byrd as GM was a horror move and he was useless. Finally moving the team around the country totally flopped, being there at Wembley with 40,000 others then years later in rainy Bristol watching the Monarchs play in front of about 1,200 people. Depressing.
Old 20.09.2006, 10:38 AM
Pro

hey thanks alot ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

yeah its great we get alot of NFL coverage also College football over here too
Old 30.09.2006, 01:50 PM
Rookie

[quote author=psj3809 link=board=4;threadid=7550;start=15#msg370303 date=1134489460]
........and the Ravens featuring their amazing rushing attack of Joe St Louis and Victor Ebubedike. [/quote]

I'm certain both played this season as well! I remember watching them in my Rookie season in 1984!
Old 30.09.2006, 01:55 PM
Rookie

[quote author=Hornets link=board=4;threadid=7550;start=15#msg408984 date=1137720371]
I seem to remember ITV showing highlights of the Superbowl pre 1976 several months after the event. I believe they did this for a couple of years but they only showed about 10 - 20 mins worth at a time. I think the years where 74 and or 75...

but then again i could be wrong...
[/quote]

Yep, I remember this. My first ever game on TV was the Raiders/Eagles SB on World of Sport with Dickie Davis on ITV.

I went into school the next day and tried to get everybody playing Am. Football at Lunchtime.

I got everybody lined up as I'd seen on the box, got the centre to pass the (soccer) ball through his legs to the QB but couldn't remember what to do next.....so we went back to our usual 3rd year vs 4th year soccer match!

This would have been 1976 or 1977.
Old 30.09.2006, 02:00 PM
Rookie

[quote author=psj3809 link=board=4;threadid=7550;start=15#msg469682 date=1149595926]
The biggest ever player who played for a britball team was James Brooks ! The ex great Bengal moved to the UK as he married an english lass, lived in Sheffield and i think was persuaded to suit up for a game or two for Sheffield. Remember reading about it in First Down, think he fell out with the team in the end and hardly played but i'm sure he played a game or two.
[/quote]

Yep, I was Offensive Co-ordinator for the Cambridge Cats when they played Sheffield with James Brooks in the backfield.

He wasn't that big or especially fast but he was incredibly hard to knock off his feet and tackle. In fact, the Cats had two 100yd rushers in that game but he still put in a quality 2nd half display to win the game for them.

I thought he played most of the season but I may be wrong on that.
Old 04.11.2006, 02:17 PM
Pro

[quote author=Blue Raider33 link=board=4;threadid=7550;start=15#msg506548 date=1159624517]
[quote author=Hornets link=board=4;threadid=7550;start=15#msg408984 date=1137720371]
I seem to remember ITV showing highlights of the Superbowl pre 1976 several months after the event. I believe they did this for a couple of years but they only showed about 10 - 20 mins worth at a time. I think the years where 74 and or 75...

but then again i could be wrong...
[/quote]

Yep, I remember this. My first ever game on TV was the Raiders/Eagles SB on World of Sport with Dickie Davis on ITV.

I went into school the next day and tried to get everybody playing Am. Football at Lunchtime.

I got everybody lined up as I'd seen on the box, got the centre to pass the (soccer) ball through his legs to the QB but couldn't remember what to do next.....so we went back to our usual 3rd year vs 4th year soccer match!

This would have been 1976 or 1977.
[/quote]

I think your correct, i also seem to remember Ken Thomas the former editor of Touchdown magazine doing the commentary on some of these games, does anyone know if Ken is still around ?