Cap & Free Agency Management Madden10 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Computer Games

Sponsored Links

Old 03.10.2009, 04:31 PM
Pro

Default Cap & Free Agency Management Madden10

Post any tips regarding managing the cap in franchise career mode here.

My tip is to be careful who you re-sign in the renegotiation period and be willing to 'let go'
After that you need cap space for drafting. Now it's time for an overhaul of your contracts. Save the game regularly.

Renegotiate the contracts of the top earners, if they're keepers then 7 year contract, you can always reduce the bonus by quite a bit (and the wage by a little) - never give the asking value once you've made playoffs 2 in a row (you're established, contracts are easier).

Make sure you're not deciding they are a keeper just cos of reputation, check the stats, are they performing? If not, swift left boot.

1. check the stats - not performed last year - out, performed but sh*t attributes - suits you sir.
2. check the attributes of the player
3. check the current contract + length + bonus can all effect the cap penalty for cutting.
4. reduce your cap in preparation for the draft, save, select player, select release, see the cost, renegotiate, release, compare cost to previous cost, if good compare cost vs players cap, release or keep.
5. squad players who are getting on will accept less than their current contract.
6. come draft day trade anyone who is above 70 for a pick, any pick.
7. I think you have to plan to cut a year in advance, anyone due for cut, do a low bonus, then you can cut him cheap, otherwise if he has a decent bonus, might as well keep him for the final year.
8. Too fkin complicated is'nt it!

Q1. When i go to cut a player, i thought it was just the bonus that effected the cap, but with some it seems the annual wage seems to be taken into account - is this because i've only just re-signed them in the current season?

Q2. Do you suffer the cap penalty for a player traded? (i don't see why you should but i think i read somewhere you do)

If all else fails - listen to some Bonney Tyler and re-enact flash-dance in the privacy of your living room (you can claim it was an accident).

Last edited by Colin Graham; 03.10.2009 at 04:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 03.10.2009, 08:55 PM
All Pro

1. Experience seems to indicate that cap takes into account recently signed contracts (presumably you have to pay them the guaranteed money they had at the start of the season and after the new contract.

2. Cap penalties apply to trades as they would if you were releasing them.

The best tip to manage the cap is to try and free up all cap space that is reasonably possible - you certainly don't really want more than 5mil cap penalties - and then sign all the wasters on your roster to any 1 year deal. You might have a bad season but come re-signing period all these guys are free agents.
Old 04.10.2009, 11:33 AM
All Pro

Also I think if you resign players you still owe them the bonus left from their previous contract on top of the new contract bonus. In sixth season of franchise now and I think thats the case
Old 04.10.2009, 11:59 AM
All Pro

The Draft is the way to go.

You can find top players at the lower end of the draft, and sign them to 7 year contracts at a pittance.

If they don't work out, cut them, as usually there is a small bonus or none at all.

Rarely, if ever, have I signed a top quality free agent for big bucks.
Old 04.10.2009, 12:02 PM
All Pro

Also I should add, if you want to re-sign a player, try doing it straight after the end of the season, but before the off season.

I tend to find they will sign easier and for less.
Old 06.10.2009, 07:05 PM
All Pro

I should have read this before I started my franchise. Currently have $26million in penalties. Doesn't help that you can't cheat and clear cap penalties at will anymore
Old 06.10.2009, 10:42 PM
Team Captain

Haha, 26 mill is nothing!! I thought it was like the Madden 09 at first which didn't have penalties so I was trading players left, right and centre. I was signing rookies to long term 7 year contracts paying them next to nothing and couldn't understand why I was so tight on cap room....

Then I checked out my penalties....71 MILLION!!!! :S

Needless to say I'm now not trading/cutting players as much and I'm always 20 mill plus under the cap with a team of 90+ rated starters

Last edited by Dazinkster; 06.10.2009 at 10:43 PM. Reason: More Info
Old 12.10.2009, 02:44 PM
All Pro

Quick question.

If I trade player for player am I just responsible for the difference in the bonus? or still responsible for the entire bonus?
Old 12.10.2009, 02:51 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PledgedLeonidas View Post
Quick question.

If I trade player for player am I just responsible for the difference in the bonus? or still responsible for the entire bonus?
The entire bonus I think.
Old 12.10.2009, 03:01 PM
All Pro

Oh dear....

Going to have to big time dump some salaries. Skeleton crew next season!

Tags
contracts , cut , draft , free agents , madden 10