How did you find the Panthers? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Carolina Panthers

Sponsored Links

Old 05.08.2014, 10:58 AM
Rookie

Default How did you find the Panthers?

Hi guys,

I was looking through the various threads and can see Panther's fans from all over the UK commenting and adding various input's into all things Panthers.

It then got me thinking (after being asked by a work colleague why) what made you start following/supporting the Carolina Panthers?

My story is as follows:

When I was a youngster (I'm 24 now) I used to be mad for WWF wrestling. My favourite wrestler was Jeff Hardy who was born in Cameron, North Carolina and I always had a soft sport for all things Hardy/Carolina from then on.

After Superbowl XLVI, I was talking to another work colleague who is a Saint's fan and I asked him if Carolina had a team. He told me all about them and how Cam Newton was the next big thing etc. I was immediately sold, I began reading up on their history on Wikipedia and before I knew it, I was a fan, watching all the games and enjoying it so much (not bad for somebody who didn't have a clue what was happening a few years ago) that I've subscribed to Game Pass again this season so I can be apart of the excitement some more.

Well, that's my story, I'd be interested to here yours.

Take it easy and Keep Pounding!
Sponsored Links
Old 07.08.2014, 10:34 AM
Starter

For me, it came through playing Madden 05 on the PS2. It was the first version of Madden I ever owned, and it got me into the sport. From there I got into fantasy football and it all snowballed from there really.

Carolina were still a relatively new team, so it seemed a good place to jump on board. I wasn't tied to any club geographically, so I just sort of picked them and went with it. I used to love going to town on teams controlling Kris Jenkins, he was such a beast. Between Jenkins, Steve Smith, Julius Peppers and DeShaun Foster, I whiled away some serious hours with that bad boy. We weren't that far removed from a Superbowl appearance either, though I didn't know that at the time, so the team were fun to play with and above average.

It's been pretty much downhill ever since haha!
Old 20.08.2014, 07:52 PM
All Pro

Send a message via MSN to SimonXS

Superbowl 38 for me.

Switched on the Superbowl randomly one evening, had the choice between the Pats & Panthers and chose Carolina.

Now I'm 9 years removed from that I'm still a huge fan and have watched (Gamepass every weekend for me!) or listened (when I was a poor student!) to all their games since then.

They've also set my preference in terms of team tactics. I prefer to watch a strong defensive game than a slinging match (ala Broncos games), seeing so many gaps in coverage winds me up! haha
Old 21.08.2014, 08:07 AM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonXS View Post
Had the choice between the Pats & Panthers and chose Carolina.
Yikes, you dodged a bullet there matey!
Old 21.08.2014, 12:10 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wednesdaylad43 View Post
Yikes, you dodged a bullet there matey!
Indeed!

It's been an up-and-down journey so far with the Panthers.

I still miss the Delhomme-Smitty combo, but I'm hoping that Newton-Benjamin combo lives up to the hype!
Old 21.08.2014, 09:45 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Superbowl 38 for me.

Switched on the Superbowl randomly one evening, had the choice between the Pats & Panthers and chose Carolina.

Now I'm 9 years removed from that I'm still a huge fan and have watched (Gamepass every weekend for me!) or listened (when I was a poor student!) to all their games since then.

They've also set my preference in terms of team tactics. I prefer to watch a strong defensive game than a slinging match (ala Broncos games), seeing so many gaps in coverage winds me up! haha
x2

Pretty much the same. My Dad asked me to watch the Super Bowl, he picked the Pats, I picked the Panthers. I also became aware of the storyline behind the Panthers' run to the Super Bowl with Sam Mills. I was disappointed when we lost, but I kept keeping an eye on them and they have become my team. Would have been nice to see us kick on and win it, or become a regular play off team, rather than the years of ups and downs, but I'm convinced bright times are ahead for us!
Old 21.08.2014, 09:48 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Indeed!

It's been an up-and-down journey so far with the Panthers.

I still miss the Delhomme-Smitty combo, but I'm hoping that Newton-Benjamin combo lives up to the hype!
It certainly has the potential. Plus, you never know if the front office tries to draft another weapon for him, or acquire one via free agency. I'd love to see us has a one-two receiver duo like Marshall/Jeffrey, White/Jones etc, but perhaps I'm being greedy!

Other thing we have to look forward to is the defense. Brilliant to watch, and hopefully got some long term pieces in Hardy, Star, KK, and Luke.
Old 22.08.2014, 08:41 AM
Starter

I want a lock down corner. We haven't had one of those in a long time. Trying to remember the last solid CB we had. Chris Gamble maybe, when he was healthy?
Old 22.08.2014, 09:10 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
I want a lock down corner. We haven't had one of those in a long time. Trying to remember the last solid CB we had. Chris Gamble maybe, when he was healthy?
Not sure we've had many great corners on this team (ie borderline elite to elite), our best when healthy was Chris Gamble. But we've had a number of solid corners down the years like Ken Lucas, Eric Davis, and Doug Evans to name a few standouts. Corner seems to be a position where this team has never really hit on for a long period of time outside of Chris Gamble.

I do agree that we need to improve the secondary. Our front seven is immense, and the difference between us and the Seahawks last season was the secondary. If we can improve that area, this team will be set defensively for te foreseeable future.
Old 22.08.2014, 12:27 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I don't believe top corners are worth the money they're paid, as long a corner can stay close enough and be big enough to tackle immediately after the catch it's job done; Yards after the catch kill a team (Steve Smith made his career on making people miss once he had the ball, not making deep plays).

The whole point in investing in a dangerous front 7 is that your secondary often don't have to cover deep down the field and your LBs are good enough in shallow coverage.

It's the philosophy that got us the 2nd ranked D last year. (And the same question marks were asked about our DBs last year).

Bend but don't break.