Draft - who would you pick - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Carolina Panthers

Sponsored Links

Old 29.03.2016, 01:40 AM
Team Captain

Default Draft - who would you pick

Thought I'd try and get the chatter on the Panthers section of the forum going a bit and create this thread for panther draft talk only

So who would you draft with the 1st round pick? For me there are only really 2 positions that stand out. I would have debated S or CB as well however with the signings of Trenton Robinson and Brandon Boykin I don't see us adding to those positions (possibly getting a S in the middle rounds)

OT - SB50 showed Cam had very little protection at times, and just how poor our oline can be, I'd take Jason Spriggs (assuming the obvious stand out players are taken 29 picks before), he really stood out on the combine for me, looked good on some drills, and on the videos I've watched (if interested https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9CQ5DwOhVAs)
Germain Ifedi had a good combine as well however not sure if he would be 1st round material

DE - You'd think the current started would be Kony Ealy who looked better as last season went on, and resigning Charles Johnson - the issue with that being is Johnson liable to any more injuries. A DE that I was impressed with at the combine was Emmanuel Ogbah.
Kevin Dodd is another that would interest me however I'd fancy Ogbah to fall further in the 1st than Dodd would
There have been a few mock drafts mentioning Shaq Lawson however I can't see him falling down to us

RB - Could potentially take one to take the pressure of Jonathan Stewart, didn't have much joy as we would have liked when Cameron Artis-Payne and Fozzy Whittaker stepped in when Stewart was injured. Granted CAP is only 1 year in the league, however if say Derrick Henry was to fall to the end of the 1st round could we take him?

TE - There has been a lot of rumours recently that Panthers may be looking to draft a TE, I personally wouldn't as I do like Ed Dickson, however maybe there isn't as much faith in him as they would like so are looking to bring in a TE to take some pressure off Olsen. I've not really looked at TE as wasn't a position I saw us drafting, however have seen quite a lot written about Hunter Henry

Personally I would be going for the one of the first two position I mentioned, Oline or DE.

That being said roll on April 28th!

Last edited by wba1990; 29.03.2016 at 01:45 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10.04.2016, 09:02 PM
Team Captain

I would prefer us to go defense in round 1 but I wouldn't be upset if we go offense instead, I trust Gettleman in whatever we do.

There are a few positions I can see us targeting in round 1.

OT - If Conklin or Decker is at 30 I think OT will be the pick but I don't really want Ifedi or Spriggs at 30.

TE - Hunter Henry could be the pick and I would rather have a TE in round 1 than a WR. Henry would be an eventual replacement for Olsen and will allow us to use more 2 TE sets like we did in Cam's rookie season with Olsen and Shockey.

RB - I think Derrick Henry will be available at 30 but I would rather pick someone else and hopefully trade up for him if he lasts in the middle of the second round. He would complement J Stew well and this upcoming season could be Stewart's last in Carolina. CAP and Wegher have question marks surrounding them and I don't know whether they can become good starter's.

DE - I would be happy with Dodd, Lawson or Ogbah but perhaps DE might be the pick in the 2nd round considering the d-line depth of this draft.

CB - Perhaps Eli Apple or Mackensie Alexander but I'm slightly worried about Alexander not having any interceptions - I just have a gut feeling that CB won't be the first pick. I'm quite happy with Norman, Benwikere, Boykin and McCain.

S- I would like another safety but I don't see the value at 30. Would be happy with Cravens / Neal/ Joseph or Bell on day 2.

Would like a speedy receiver later on in the draft to compete with Philly Brown.

In terms of free agency I can see us only signing players after the draft now and heading into training camp. I'm pleased with what we've done so far. Re-signing Tolbert was important and getting Charles Johnson back for $3m is one of the best deals throughout the league. Brandon Boykin on a cheap 1 year deal is a great bit of business and if he plays nickel it will allow Bene to play on the outside where I think he plays better. I'm glad we re-signed Kyle Love and brought in Paul Soliai to have a good rotation with KK and Star. The only position I'm slightly concerned about at the moment is punter.
Old 10.04.2016, 09:21 PM
Team Captain

I'll quickly do a mock depth chart for what I think could be good enough for another SB run (it won't be exactly 53, its just for fun . Added in new players I think we need through draft or UDFA in blue.

QB- Cam, Anderson, Webb,
FB - Tolbert,
RB - Stewart, new, CAP, Fozzy, Wegher
WR - Benji, Funchess, Ginn, Brown, New, Hill, Norwood
TE- Olsen, New, Dickson.
OT - Williams, Remmers, Oher, New
OG - Turner, Norwell, Scott, Yankey
C - Kalil, Gradkowski

DE - Ealy, Johnson, Addison, Delaire, Horton, New
DT - Short, Lotulelei, Love, Soliai, New

LB - Kuechly, Davis, Thompson, Klein, Jacobs, Mayo

CB - Norman, Benwikere, Boykin, McClain, Williams, Young, New
S - Coleman, Jones, Boston, Robinson, Marlowe, New

Special teams - Gano, JJ, Waters, (new punter)
Old 11.04.2016, 12:04 AM
Team Captain

I really like Spriggs, I like what I've seen of his tapes and he had a great combine and worked well on the drills, I'll be interested to see who he does wherever he goes

TE is a position I'm coming round to us upgrading and think it could be what we use out 1st round pick on - if not it'll be an OT

Personally I can see the Seahawks taking Henry in the first so don't see him still being on the board when we get on in the first

DE as you say could be a 2nd round pick possibly even a 3rd for a back up rookie

I like the look of Eli Apple but again see him being taken elsewhere in the first before we get on

I'd like to see another S as well, I saw us linked to Jeremy Cash previously though know nothing else about him

I've been browsing the Panthers forums and they seem to think we ay take a WR such as Sterling Shepard if still available early to mid 2nd - I expect we may move up in the draft at some stage maybe try and get higher up in the 2nd for example
Old 12.04.2016, 10:14 PM
Super Moderator

Can see Ogbah or Dodd being the pick, unless Spriggs drops to #30...
Old 13.04.2016, 05:12 PM
Team Captain

Just been watching some clips and I like the look of L'Raven Clark as a possible 2nd round selection, needs some work but has the potential
Old 20.04.2016, 11:03 PM
Team Captain

Well with JN hitting FA surely we have to target a CB with the first round pick (if we don't resign him)
Old 21.04.2016, 09:25 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by wba1990 View Post
Well with JN hitting FA surely we have to target a CB with the first round pick (if we don't resign him)
I had a feeling this Josh Norman deal was going to end this way. I agree that surely we have to take a CB in the first round now.
Old 21.04.2016, 04:20 PM
Team Captain

I have a feeling that we won't go cornerback in round 1 and I don't feel as we 'have' to pick one. DG won't reach and he's admitted he made a mistake in his first draft reaching for Kugbila who is now out of the league.

I see us picking up a free agent corner and then maybe a late round pick.

I'm a bit disappointed about Norman going but I'm not surprised at all. We weren't going to give him a massive long term deal and I was hoping he would play his last year under the tag for maybe another SB run. Unfortunately with a salary cap we can't keep everyone and I would rather give the money to Short and Star instead of Josh.
Old 28.04.2016, 11:34 AM
Team Captain

Well tonight is the night

Really be surprised if we take anything other than a DE in the 1st round - lot of mocks have us taking Dodd, I'd prefer Ogbah over him but we'll see

Expect other positions we take during the draft will be CB (4th round) and S (2nd round), think we may sacrifice a pick in the 3rd and move up in the 2nd