2018 offseason thread - free agency, draft, random arrests etc - Page 192 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 17.07.2018, 01:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh View Post
Bell, Lawrence, Ansah and Joyner all on the tag. Reports that Bell turned down $14m a year which I find amazing if true, albeit with only just over $30m guaranteed. Maybe someone desperate throws even more in free agency at him next year but I doubt it.
Lawrence was always unlikely to sign a long term deal. He said he was happy to play on the tag because he knew in 2019 he'd get paid even more. Interestingly though, hours after the deadline passed, the media reported he'd be unwilling to play under another tag in 2019. The posturing starting well ahead of time!

With Bell it's about the guarantee not the yearly figure. They go hand in hand to some extent but I'm guessing he wants $45m guaranteed, or 3 years in effect. It's his one big contract, he doesn't want kicking to the curb after 2 years and 1000 touches of additional wear and tear.
Sponsored Links
Old 17.07.2018, 01:28 PM
Starter

I totally get why Bell wants more guaranteed if that is the issue, I just don't see how he's getting it. If $45m guaranteed is his target then that's 3 years at almost twice the next highest paid RB as it stands or 4 years at about 140% of the next highest paid. Maybe someone like the Jets think he takes pressure off a young QB and can have the attack built around him but it seems a long shot. It would be great to see him get it given how much punishment RB's take for less cash than other positions I just don't see it.

It's perfectly fine for the DE's on the tag (injury permitting), there's a definite market for them whenever they do hit free agency and I think I'm right in saying it would be over $20m for their teams to tag them again next year.

Still can't fathom why LA Rams bothered tagging Joyner, he's hardly a "franchise" player and the safety market is soft as anything.
Old 18.07.2018, 09:37 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh View Post
I totally get why Bell wants more guaranteed if that is the issue, I just don't see how he's getting it. If $45m guaranteed is his target then that's 3 years at almost twice the next highest paid RB as it stands or 4 years at about 140% of the next highest paid. Maybe someone like the Jets think he takes pressure off a young QB and can have the attack built around him but it seems a long shot. It would be great to see him get it given how much punishment RB's take for less cash than other positions I just don't see it.

It's perfectly fine for the DE's on the tag (injury permitting), there's a definite market for them whenever they do hit free agency and I think I'm right in saying it would be over $20m for their teams to tag them again next year.

Still can't fathom why LA Rams bothered tagging Joyner, he's hardly a "franchise" player and the safety market is soft as anything.
I understand your reasoning but I can't see the Jets being in the market for Bell. Great player, but I'm not sure that he will be the sort of player they target.
Old 18.07.2018, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
I understand your reasoning but I can't see the Jets being in the market for Bell. Great player, but I'm not sure that he will be the sort of player they target.
Not sure it would be the right move for us, but I could definitely see it happening. We should have a ton of cap room, and with no clear #1 RB on the roster, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we make a serious push for him...
Old 18.07.2018, 12:19 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Not sure it would be the right move for us, but I could definitely see it happening. We should have a ton of cap room, and with no clear #1 RB on the roster, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if we make a serious push for him...
They can afford it, but will MacCagnan want to guarantee that much to a guy who has basically said it is more about the money than winning things, especially as he had said there wasn't enough money to make him want to play for the Jets, iirc. It runs counter to everything he has done in the last couple of years and the way they have gone about FA. I just don't see it happening, unless Woody suddenly gets involved again.
Old 18.07.2018, 03:42 PM
Super Moderator

Darrelle Revis has officially announced his retirement. One of the all time great Jets, shame his career fizzled out over the last couple of years (and his attitude stunk). Hopefully he will sign a one day contract to retire a Jet...
Old 18.07.2018, 07:47 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne ellis View Post
Darrelle Revis has officially announced his retirement. One of the all time great Jets, shame his career fizzled out over the last couple of years (and his attitude stunk). Hopefully he will sign a one day contract to retire a Jet...
He will probably hold out for a two day one...

I don't think he will ever be regarded by Jets fans like Klecko, Martin, Mangold or similar players. I'd imagine he will be thought of in the same way Gastineau is - as a great player, but not necessarily a a true Jet legend.
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetupandgo View Post
He will probably hold out for a two day one...

I don't think he will ever be regarded by Jets fans like Klecko, Martin, Mangold or similar players. I'd imagine he will be thought of in the same way Gastineau is - as a great player, but not necessarily a a true Jet legend.
might go down as one of the few non-QB's who understood how to truly maximise his value and got paid his market value where ever he played.hope he gets into the HOF but not before Ty Law.
Old Yesterday, 06:50 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Lawrence was always unlikely to sign a long term deal. He said he was happy to play on the tag because he knew in 2019 he'd get paid even more. Interestingly though, hours after the deadline passed, the media reported he'd be unwilling to play under another tag in 2019. The posturing starting well ahead of time!

With Bell it's about the guarantee not the yearly figure. They go hand in hand to some extent but I'm guessing he wants $45m guaranteed, or 3 years in effect. It's his one big contract, he doesn't want kicking to the curb after 2 years and 1000 touches of additional wear and tear.
reports that the last Steelers offer only had $10m in actual guarantee's,dont they normally apart from QB's very rarely guarantee salary's after the 1st year of extensions.

if Bell hits free agency after this year some one will give him $30m+ in guaranteed money but he may end up playing on a team that aint playing in January.