Who will retire at the end of the season? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 28.11.2008, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator

Default Who will retire at the end of the season?

Last season saw some famous names finally draw the curtains on great NFL careers. Michael Strahan, Larry Allen, Junior Seau, Warren Sapp and Jon Ogden are future Hall of Famers. Rod Smith, Vinny Testaverde and Mike Alstott also called it a day and we have recently seen John Lynch officially announce his retirement. Brett Favre retired too.....oh wait.... hold on a second....he's back again.

Which veteran players do you think will officially retire for one reason or another at the end of the 2008 season?
Nobody is allowed to mention the 5-letter f-word though as he'll probably do the hokey-cokey again.

For me I think we have seen the last of Orlando Pace. Injuries have finally caught up with him and I can't see him wanting any further part of the rebuilding project in St Louis. Shaun Alexander and Brad Johnson will wave goodbye too and hand in their retirement papers.

Any others?

Tedy Bruschi perhaps?

Last edited by boknows34; 28.11.2008 at 08:16 AM.
Old 28.11.2008, 09:44 AM
All Pro

Romeo Crennel. oh, sorry, thought you said resign...
Old 28.11.2008, 10:24 AM
Hall of Fame

Nice one King
Old 28.11.2008, 10:32 AM
All Pro

I can see Bruschi maybe staying on for one more year in a reduced role.

If Brad Johnson doesnt retire i will be very surprised. Would only see a team with a rookie QB taking him on but even then they could get better QB's to mentor and back up the rookie.
Old 28.11.2008, 10:36 AM
Rookie

Yeah i think Tedy will stay on for one more year, I dont think Rodney Harrison will be back after injury. Dont think Alexander will retire either.
Old 28.11.2008, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

I don't see Rodney Harrison being back either. Maybe not Bruschi but I have thought he will retire so many times in the past and he always comes back. He has played pretty well too this year so we'll see.

I reckon Marvin Harrison might retire, if not this year then the year after.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Derrick Brooks retire depending on what Tampa do in the off-season.

I don't know if Willie Anderson might retire or Orlando Pace but not many players get the luxery of packing it in on their own terms most are pushed before jumping simply because of their love of the game and the money they make. However, I think Brooks and Pace will certainly retire on their own terms.
Old 28.11.2008, 10:55 AM
All Pro

Yeh, i had meant to say that i dont think Rodney will be back either. Which is a pity as i enjoyed watching him play and if he does retire it will be disappointing that he was injured in his last game.

Marvin Harrison might stay around a bit longer as well to pad his stats, although i do think that its getting to the point were he should be seriously considering retiring (although hes looked good the last couple of weeks)
Old 28.11.2008, 11:11 AM
Pro

Think Brusci's a good shout. Culpepper might go back into retirement. Fred Taylor could go to.

Also Kurt Warner's apparently undecided on what he's doing yet.

Testaverde retired? But he was only 42.
Old 28.11.2008, 11:20 AM
GOAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by EamonH View Post
I can see Bruschi maybe staying on for one more year in a reduced role.
I think Tedy's done, personally. We've been seemingly fazing him out all season, and I think he'll give it up once the season is done. If he does, straight away I'd be offering him a coaching position.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyBob780 View Post
Yeah i think Tedy will stay on for one more year, I dont think Rodney Harrison will be back after injury. Dont think Alexander will retire either.
Until he went down, I thought Rodney might have stayed on, he looked in great condition, and don't forget he was leading the team in tackles. Our secondary is very young, especially at Safety, and we still need a veteran presence there. I hope he comes back, although I hope we also draft his successor next April.
Old 28.11.2008, 11:24 AM
Pro

Tom Nalen ? it would be a sad day, but will he be able to come back from his injuries ? Fantastic player who has had a great career.