Premier League Thread - Page 982 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 28.06.2011, 03:59 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by menominee View Post
Sorry Mr BOY. All the evidence so far tells me that the Venkys are asset strippers. Cheapest manager in the league, Jones gone, Samba and others being shopped around by Jerome Anderson, contracts being renogiated to insert buyout price clauses. Just hope Rovers aren't back where I found them at the bottom of division three by the time they've stripped out all the chicken fat and buggered off back to India. They're probably powering the floodlights from Jack Walker spinning in his grave.
How are they asset stripping by selling Jones? He's one player for a deal worth £20 million give or take. Samba would have also been destined to leave whoever the owners and as for cheapest manager every manager has to start somewhere. We can't expect to go out and buy massive name players right off the bat we don't have the reputation for that give it some time the transfer windows a long time open yet.
Old 28.06.2011, 04:10 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryt View Post
Agreed, not that English clubs can moan about it though as they are just as guilty! However something should to be done about the bare face cheek of Barca/Madrid as they just openly court players and unsettle them!

Could be said that Fabregas is just as guilty though, waering Barca shirts etc when with the Spanish squad is flat out dis-respectful to Arsenal and its fans. He needs to man up and either ask for a transfer or tell Barca he's going nowhere.....all he's doing at the moment is allowing Barca to dictate the price and thats always going to be lower than his actual value to Arsenal!
The media are portraying it that way, but really Arsenal are being pretty firm, he wants to leave, they want him. But until they offer the right money Arsenal won't sell him.

He still has 3 years left on his contract, if Arsenal reject offers and he leaves on a free, then so be it, I'd rather have Fabregas for 3 years than £30 million, I want trophies not money, I can't see Arsenal would need the money having bairly spent a penny since the early 2000s, and bringing in millions from 60,000 fans that get charged the HIGHEST ticket prices in the WORLD. Arsenal fans are looking for any reason to blow up at the club at the moment, the board don't need a reason to give another.

If we did sell Fabregas or Nasri, I doubt we would spend the money we got for them anyway, just carry on charging fans the HIGHEST prices in the WORLD to watch less talented players on less wages.
Old 28.06.2011, 06:35 PM
All Pro

It is strange that Arsenal are the only team so far that haven't had any confirmed interest or negotiations apart from with players who want to leave!! Outside of Gervinho there's no solid links, and I can't see him being a difference maker.

Today they have supposedly started enquiries with Bolton for Cahill which would make sense, but they need wide men and a striker so badly and they don't seem to be close to anyone worthwhile
Old 28.06.2011, 07:10 PM
Banned

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyke87 View Post
How are they asset stripping by selling Jones? He's one player for a deal worth £20 million give or take. Samba would have also been destined to leave whoever the owners and as for cheapest manager every manager has to start somewhere. We can't expect to go out and buy massive name players right off the bat we don't have the reputation for that give it some time the transfer windows a long time open yet.
You don't demonstrate any ambition by selling your prime teenage talent to the already strongest team in the league. If you must sell, sell him to Liverpool and at least equalise the contending pool to some degree. Samba signed a long term contract only a few months ago - that's turned out to be just a short term value enhancer, hasn't it? And of course you can't expect to buy big name players right off the bat so why make outlandish claims you are going to and make the club look a laughing stock?

Anyway, I admire your faith and I really would much prefer you to be right than me.
Old 28.06.2011, 07:39 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
You don't demonstrate any ambition by selling your prime teenage talent to the already strongest team in the league. If you must sell, sell him to Liverpool and at least equalise the contending pool to some degree. Samba signed a long term contract only a few months ago - that's turned out to be just a short term value enhancer, hasn't it? And of course you can't expect to buy big name players right off the bat so why make outlandish claims you are going to and make the club look a laughing stock?

Anyway, I admire your faith and I really would much prefer you to be right than me.
You're point about making the claims is on the money but that was early in their reign so I'm thinking they were just beginners mistakes hopefully. The Jones deal was only accepted due to the clause being met, why it was put in i don't know.

I'm not won over yet by the new board but I am willing to give them a chance to show their intentions in terms of transfers just for the fact that we were going nowhere fast under the Trusts ownership and could have been worse the other guy who wanted to take us over has almost put Racing Santander out of business.

Last edited by tyke87; 28.06.2011 at 07:41 PM.
Old 28.06.2011, 07:48 PM
Banned

I suspect every playing asset has, or will shortly have, an escape clause valuation put on their head by the Chicken-men & Jerome because every one is for sale. Sorry to be so negative but this worrying theory suddenly struck me the other day when I saw Jerome driving Samba around North London on a flatbed truck beneath a big "For Sale" poster.*

*They were actually in a taxi but I've exercised some artistic license in pursuit of a more elemental truth.

Last edited by menominee; 28.06.2011 at 08:00 PM.
Old 28.06.2011, 09:53 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barryt View Post
It is strange that Arsenal are the only team so far that haven't had any confirmed interest or negotiations apart from with players who want to leave!!
I don't think its strange at all seeing as the transfer window hasn't yet opened. Just because the rags haven't got hold of anything doesn't mean nothing is happening.

Also with regards to the players who want to leave do you find it a coincidence that they are all represented by the same agent. That agent is Darren Dein son of former vice chairman David Dein, who is the mouthpiece for Usmanov the Billionaire who owns 30% of the club. These contract negotiations with Nasri and Clichy are being dragged into the politics that are going on in the board room. Cesc will go but Nasri will stay. Couldnt care less about Clichy.
Old 28.06.2011, 10:05 PM
Banned

Exclamation

The transfer window hasn't yet opened?

So how come everyone's moving around? Is it like the bit in Diplomacy where you can reposition your forces and offer secret pre-deals before the campaign year starts?

I can't believe I'm becoming bored enough to engage with a soccer thread. Are the Eighth Circuit judges NEVER going to give us a lockout ruling?
Old 28.06.2011, 10:30 PM
All Pro

Quote:
The transfer window hasn't yet opened?

So how come everyone's moving around? Is it like the bit in Diplomacy where you can reposition your forces and offer secret pre-deals before the campaign year starts?
It opens on july 1st.
Old 29.06.2011, 11:57 AM
All Pro

Man Utd confirm the signing of De Gea. I'm very pleased with that.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/13933241.stm

According to this article, Craig Gordon is the 4th most expensive keeper ever. I find it quite amazing that only one keeper has every been bought for over £20m given how important their role is to the team!