Players that may not have grabbed the spotlight - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 18.11.2010, 07:02 PM
MVP

Default Players that may not have grabbed the spotlight

completely, but still look like they may be decent players in the NFL.

I thought I'd start a new thread after hijacking the Sam Bradford one.

Jake Vermiglio - Tackle NC State. Unfortunatley I havent noted down the game, but it was on ESPN, so imagine not too many of their games were shown. He was double teamed most plays but got incredible push, and was one of the mist dominant O line players I've seen this year.

Rick Henry - Guard Nebraska.

Another Nebraska player who has looked good is Hagg. He was switching between LB and Safety against Washington State and was pretty decent in both positions. In that game Denard for me outshone Prince Amukmara.

On the opposite side Nate Williams looks a ball hawk (Safety) for WS.

And I've discussed before but Adams and Childs both look nice prospects from Arkansas at WR.

I've also said I've not been too impressed with the QB play this year, so to that end I think Garcia at South Carolina should think long and hard about declaring.

Interested to hear from you guys about players who've stood out for you. But especially keen to hear what the sketch is on Vermiglio. I cant find any reports on him on any of the obvious draft sites so could be way off base.
Old 19.11.2010, 03:27 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Soul View Post
completely, but still look like they may be decent players in the NFL.

I thought I'd start a new thread after hijacking the Sam Bradford one.

Jake Vermiglio - Tackle NC State. Unfortunatley I havent noted down the game, but it was on ESPN, so imagine not too many of their games were shown. He was double teamed most plays but got incredible push, and was one of the mist dominant O line players I've seen this year.

Another Nebraska player who has looked good is Hagg. He was switching between LB and Safety against Washington State and was pretty decent in both positions. In that game Denard for me outshone Prince Amukmara.

On the opposite side Nate Williams looks a ball hawk (Safety) for WS.

And I've discussed before but Adams and Childs both look nice prospects from Arkansas at WR.

I've also said I've not been too impressed with the QB play this year, so to that end I think Garcia at South Carolina should think long and hard about declaring.

Interested to hear from you guys about players who've stood out for you. But especially keen to hear what the sketch is on Vermiglio. I cant find any reports on him on any of the obvious draft sites so could be way off base.
I tend to focus on prospects who come into the season with a draftable grade from National Scouting - Vermiglio wasn't on that list. However - he is on my overall list (2,433 prospects!!!). However, for each game I watch, I run off a mail merged list that overall list - and I try to cast my eye over everyone on it. I'll have a look through my written notes this evening and see what I noted. I did find him on NFL Draft Scout (via the CBS Football Page - then click NFL Draft - they are pretty good) - he's the 38th overall OT. So that's probably a try out/free agent type. But I will watch NC State again before the end of the season, so I'll remember to take a close note of him.

What I will say though is if you have looked at anyone who nobody else likes - then just stick to your guns. One good thing to do come March/April is check out his Pro Day stats - see if you can find his arm length, but look at his numbers and compare to the top prospects. If he looks OK - then really stick to your guns - if not, you might have to think he's not athletic enough.

Rick Henry (and the other Nebraska G Williams) is a late round/free agent type - from memory I saw him one time and liked him - another time not so much. I'm due to watch Nebraska/Texas A&M this week - so he'll be in my Week 12 review on the Diner - usually published on Friday - I'll make sure I have a close look at him!

Hagg I've been impressed with - he's not rated super high though - so I'm assuming his 40 time isn't great. The current trend for Safety is for them to have to be able to cover - so speed is becoming more important (e.g. Earl Thomas/Eric Berry).

I like Nate Williams - he sneaked into my Top 100 - he's probably a mid round pick - but Washington do stink, so he could well look better at the Senior Bowl/Texas vs Nation Game (not sure if the Shrine Game will be running this year - rumours were they went bust last year). Might even be a QLB convert.

One kid who has stood out for me is Vincent Brown - WR - San Diego State - he gave Davon House (2nd rnd type pick) real problems and made some big plays last week against TCU. Hands catcher.

I also have Matt Szczur - WR - Villanova higher than most - he's been hurt for a while - but hopefully will be back Saturday at Delaware (Pat Devlin) to make it a real go to game for pro scouts (Ben Ijalana for Villanova too)!

Quite like Alex Linnenkohl - C - Oregon State also - due to watch their game with USC on Saturday - will be interested to see how he matches up with Casey (thus the reason I picked the game to watch - that and USC aren't going to be in a Bowl game).

On defense - Steven Friday - DE - Virginia Tech is my biggest sleeper - he's 238 lbs - so will be a pro LB - but I love his effort and he moves well in space (made a real nice play on a long run last week - chased across the field and caught the play from behind).

A kid I was watching last night I like is another to mention Jaiquawn Jarrett - FS - Temple - he's my #1 Safety - moves really well, nice backpedal in coverage and supports the run well. Had a nice pick vs Ohio.

As mentioned elsewhere I really like Colorado's CB Jimmy Smith as well - he's #10 in my top 100 - probably 30 or so places more than anyone else.
Old 19.11.2010, 06:37 PM
All Pro

I have Matt Szuzur form Villanova - interesting guy and could easily be a Wes Welker type.

Pat Devlin still rates as my number 2 QB behind Luck - trememdous upside and play on what has been an average Delaware team

Adam Vandyck from Fordham is a beast of an Olineman especially in run blocking.

TJ Heath - DB from Jacksonville St - beast of a cover corner and seems to have a knack for the big play at the right time.

Keith Payne from UVA - Big 6-3 255 pound running back that will not doubt have the size and power the NFL will like.

Ras-I Dowing - CB - UVA - he has had several injuries this year which is a shame when last year he was playing at a higher level than Chris Cook who the Vikings drafted. Still feel he will be going in the early rounds

DeAndre McDaniel - S - Clemson - Still a beast and hard hitting safety. At Clemson we see him as Brian Dawkins v2. He has played through a broken wrist and turf toe.

Da'Quan Bowers - DE - Clemson - Is only the sack leader in the nation with 14 sacks. Big, stong and powerful as a JR. There is no reason if he declares, which he will he can't be a top 10 pick

Dwane Allen - TE - Clemson - Good hands, size and downfield presence. A decent runblocker too. Better than Michael Palmer who was a UFA and caught a TD for the Falcons earlier on.

Alex Wujciak - LB - Maryland. Reminds me in every way of former University of Miami and Carolina Panther ILB Dan Morgan. Has the same intensity, delievers the hits and understands the game to the point he raise the game play of those around him.

Torrey Smith - WR - Maryland - He has better speed, route running and hands than his predecessor Darius Heywood-Bey. Is a little shy over the middle of the field mind you!

Brandon Hogan - CB - WVU - This guy is the typical underachiver. Great coverage skills, great size and great understanding of the game. However he feels he is great an invincible and will happily tell everyone so. His attitude needs adjustment to succeed at the next level but he can do if he wors hard.

Jock Sanders - WR - WVU. - Very small but speedy and athletic. Someone will find a spot for him and use him well. He has changed many a game on catching a 2 yard slant pass and going for a TD.

Jeff Demps - RB - Florida - Seems to have fallen off the radar this year. Still a great explosive runner who has had a niggling injury and in my opinion has been underused.
Old 19.11.2010, 08:33 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by VABrit View Post
TJ Heath - DB from Jacksonville St - beast of a cover corner and seems to have a knack for the big play at the right time.

Keith Payne from UVA - Big 6-3 255 pound running back that will not doubt have the size and power the NFL will like.

Ras-I Dowing - CB - UVA - he has had several injuries this year which is a shame when last year he was playing at a higher level than Chris Cook who the Vikings drafted. Still feel he will be going in the early rounds

DeAndre McDaniel - S - Clemson - Still a beast and hard hitting safety. At Clemson we see him as Brian Dawkins v2. He has played through a broken wrist and turf toe.
I've got some more work to do on Jacksonville State - but Curt Porter stood out for me more than Heath in the big Ole Miss win - off hand I think he got beat for a TD and a couple of other times. But as I say more work required - but he's on my list to look out for. Looks like JSU should be involved in the playoffs - so plenty of chances.

Payne - been very impressed with him - he's got nice feet for a big kid. The question with him is going to be why he quit the team last year - he had better be ready for question after question on that in the post season!

Dowling - love him - got lucky and saw a game he played in this year! The FSU game. To be honest he looked like a first round talent - nice backpedal, quick out of his breaks and can turn and run deep. His latest injury I believe is a broken ankle - which may keep him from running before the Draft. That could cost him a round or two - particularly with his other injuries, which I understand have some scouts wondering about his ability to play hurt. Really because of his injuries, Jimmy Smith (Colorado) has overtaken him on my board. His stock's only going to fall now - but someone could get a steal.

I don't get why McDaniel isn't rated higher - he seems to be rated as a late first/early second type - but I would think more 10-20 area. Love him - thought he might have come out early last year as he was superb in the Bowl Game - but he's done nothing wrong in games I've seen this year.

I haven't done much work on Maryland yet - me thinks I need to get around to them! Want to watch some Abilene Christian too - the WR Gates has 60 receptions at an average of 18 yards a catch!
Old 19.11.2010, 08:41 PM
All Pro

Quote:
OK - Vermiglio - only managed to find my Cincinnati game notes - my filing "system" clearly needs work!!

I noted his power - but two things concerned me:

1) He was rotating - why? Injury? Stamina? A couple of other O-Line prospects have been rotating this year and it always worries me.

2) Pass protection technique - didn't sink his butt to anchor - his body was at that 45 degree type angle - / sort of angle if you are with me. It's tough to get leverage, to really dig your heels in to anchor without slipping and also tough to deal with swim moves/getting thrown off by a stronger opponent.

I've got more work to do on Nate Irving - so I'll note down to put some real time in with Vermiglio.

But if you like him - stick with him. Go back and watch him again - take note of any comments like mine and you might or might not change your mind!
Old 20.11.2010, 03:11 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by duesouth10 View Post

Payne - been very impressed with him - he's got nice feet for a big kid. The question with him is going to be why he quit the team last year - he had better be ready for question after question on that in the post season!
Al Groh told him he would never be useful as a running back at UVA in his offense because of his size and asked him to move position. He in turn said thanks but no thanks and carried on with his studies. It took a lot of convincing from Mike London for him to come out to practice. Groh deflated the young lad

Quote:
I don't get why McDaniel isn't rated higher - he seems to be rated as a late first/early second type - but I would think more 10-20 area. Love him - thought he might have come out early last year as he was superb in the Bowl Game - but he's done nothing wrong in games I've seen this year.
Injuries have slowed him this year. Last year he was all over the place - ask Christian Ponder! For some reason Clemson has an environment where not many players don't come out early. I think if McDaniel is on song by the combine he will be fine.
Old 20.11.2010, 09:58 PM
MVP

Daniel Thomas
Old 22.11.2010, 02:40 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by smw2020 View Post
Daniel Thomas
I think most are rating him as a 2nd or 3rd round pick.

I personally like him better than DeMarco Murray. They are similar types of backs - fairly big and physical - but Murray in every game I've seen at least once when he has had a chance to run someone over has just gone down cheaply. I watched the Baylor/Oklahoma game on Saturday and he did it again - sweep play to the left - no blockers and two defenders, but he bottled it and went down for a loss of one - don't think there was much of a tackle from either defender. I haven't seen Thomas do that once.

Thomas runs a little high - particularly before contact - which he'll need to work on - but he gets low at the end of runs and he can catch and block too. His 40 time at the combine will be important for him though - if he runs a 4.5 then he'll make himself some money. High 4.6 or 4.7 and he'll still be around on the third day.

Not sure which Juniors will come out (Mark Ingram, Shane Vereen and maybe Mikel LeShoure would go above him) - so his stock may drop a little.
Old 23.11.2010, 12:56 PM
All Pro

Quote:

From Saturday's Nebraska/A&M game (cracking game and a great atmosphere) I thought Hagg looked pretty good. He's not exceptional in man coverage - but he did OK - that might limit his value. But on a couple of swing passes to the back - he closed very well on both of them and lit up the back on one of them - cracking stuff! I'm thinking Strong Safeties value in today's NFL is going down - they want man coverage ability - but even so I like him.

Henry was pulling frequently and was very effective - he's got good power and I thought looked good in the run game. Question mark in pass protection - didn't sink his butt one time and lost the leverage battle - and also struggled with his feet on a stunt - he was unable to redirect inside quickly enough and got beat. That will probably limit him - but he's more athletic than Williams who's also got some pop, but looks heavy and slow.

Also from that game - Von Miller - fantastic!! Might not be for every 3-4 team as he's only 240 lbs - but he's very quick off the edge.

Also thought Pierre Allen of Nebraska played very well - better than I've seen so far this year to date.

I watched the Oregon State/USC game last night - Paea was great too.

Seems like it was the week for some defense!

Going to watch Mississippi State/Arkansas tonight and plan to finally get to an Abilene Christian full game in tomorrow. Then it's onto Week 13 - plan to watch:

Temple at Miami (Ohio)
Texas A&M at Texas
Louisville at Rutgers
Colorado at Nebraska
Boise State at Nevada
Hawaii at New Mexico State
Oklahoma at Oklahoma State
Boston College at Syracuse
Kentucky at Tennessee
Ohio at Kent State
Old 23.11.2010, 01:11 PM
MVP

Quote:
From Saturday's Nebraska/A&M game (cracking game and a great atmosphere) I thought Hagg looked pretty good. He's not exceptional in man coverage - but he did OK - that might limit his value. But on a couple of swing passes to the back - he closed very well on both of them and lit up the back on one of them - cracking stuff! I'm thinking Strong Safeties value in today's NFL is going down - they want man coverage ability - but even so I like him.

Henry was pulling frequently and was very effective - he's got good power and I thought looked good in the run game. Question mark in pass protection - didn't sink his butt one time and lost the leverage battle - and also struggled with his feet on a stunt - he was unable to redirect inside quickly enough and got beat. That will probably limit him - but he's more athletic than Williams who's also got some pop, but looks heavy and slow.

Also from that game - Von Miller - fantastic!! Might not be for every 3-4 team as he's only 240 lbs - but he's very quick off the edge.

Also thought Pierre Allen of Nebraska played very well - better than I've seen so far this year to date.

I watched the Oregon State/USC game last night - Paea was great too.

Seems like it was the week for some defense!

Going to watch Mississippi State/Arkansas tonight and plan to finally get to an Abilene Christian full game in tomorrow. Then it's onto Week 13 - plan to watch:

Temple at Miami (Ohio)
Texas A&M at Texas
Louisville at Rutgers
Colorado at Nebraska
Boise State at Nevada
Hawaii at New Mexico State
Oklahoma at Oklahoma State
Boston College at Syracuse
Kentucky at Tennessee
Ohio at Kent State
Thanks for the feedback. I agree it was a cracking game (Nebraska).