Sky Price Rises - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 09.07.2012, 05:50 PM
Starter

Default Sky Price Rises

Got a letter this morning to tell me the sub prices are going up in September for different channel packs, Sports wise an extra pound/month for Sky Sports package and an extra pound/month for ESPN
Old 10.07.2012, 10:13 AM
Starter

It's so everyone can help fund the outrageous price paid for the TV rights for Premiership Football. I wonder if Sky managed to outbid themselves this time round..........

I've decided to cancel my sports package with them and will just opt for GamePass. I used the sports channels to watch NFL and Rugby (International). I've a very mild passing interest in Football, so decided I could do without. I'll just have to go to the pub to watch the Summer Internationals and November Internationals. At least I've got an excuse now! ;-P
Old 12.07.2012, 09:28 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by S7ani View Post
Got a letter this morning to tell me the sub prices are going up in September for different channel packs, Sports wise an extra pound/month for Sky Sports package and an extra pound/month for ESPN
No surprise at all. The prices were frozen for 2011. I haven't got a letter yet but fully expected it
Old 12.07.2012, 09:35 AM
All Pro

This might (might) be slightly offset with a free ESPN/Sky Sports Half Price for 3 months type deal as in previous years. They usually put some offer out in the summer for existing customers, that can still be taken right before NFL kickoff in september.

Fingers crossed.
Old 12.07.2012, 10:29 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoringSkins View Post
It's so everyone can help fund the outrageous price paid for the TV rights for Premiership Football. I wonder if Sky managed to outbid themselves this time round..........
I think BT were very aggressive and believe after the first round of bidding had more packages than Sky - which I guess forced them to up their bid.
Old 12.07.2012, 10:31 AM
Super Moderator

If they do the 3 months half price it is an okish deal. But I am thinking about going down the Gamepass route for the first time, better value and more for your
Old 12.07.2012, 11:04 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScoringSkins View Post
I'll just have to go to the pub to watch the Summer Internationals and November Internationals. At least I've got an excuse now! ;-P
I think Sky might find things somewhat tougher than they bargained for in the next few years as they turn to their subscribers to fund much of the lastest EPL deal. The current status quo with Sky Sports in pubs/clubs will come under increasing pressure - They get stung big time as well.

Sky's household prices are peanuts compared to their "commercial premises" prices.

Some larger pubs in London already hike their drinks prices during big EPL games to offset it, as the extra trade isn't enough in itself. (Not that I agree with this tactic, it's likely to p*ss people off and be counterproductive eventually).

My local football club has recently ditched Sky Sports - the price has reached a point where the extra trade simply dosen't cover it.
Another local pub has indicated they'll probably be dropping it soon (even though they attract quite a bit of extra custom with Sky's EPL games).

Ask your friendly "licensed premises" landlord/manager how much Sky sting them for Sky Sports (it varies depending on the business). The answer will make your eyes water.....
Old 13.07.2012, 10:28 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithyT View Post
This might (might) be slightly offset with a free ESPN/Sky Sports Half Price for 3 months type deal as in previous years. They usually put some offer out in the summer for existing customers, that can still be taken right before NFL kickoff in september.

Fingers crossed.
Hopefully so, although I just spoke with Sky who said that no such offer is active currently and they were not sure if one would be coming up.
Old 13.07.2012, 12:05 PM
All Pro

Oh well, they've got me anyhoo. They just released which Premiership rugby games will be shown in the first 8 rounds (Sky Sports and ESPN) and my Gloucester RFC are on 5 times...
Old 14.07.2012, 06:40 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithyT View Post
Oh well, they've got me anyhoo. They just released which Premiership rugby games will be shown in the first 8 rounds (Sky Sports and ESPN) and my Gloucester RFC are on 5 times...
I was down at Pembray, near LLanelli 2 weeks ago. The Gloucester squad were training on the beach.
It was as windy as hell, and they were still going through all their drills, while spitting out sand.