What Position Need with 1st Draft Pick? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 22.10.2015, 12:00 PM
Pro Bowler

Default What Position Need with 1st Draft Pick?

What position would you like to fill for the Bears with the first Draft Pick in 2016?

QB/OT/OG/LB (Pass Rusher)/CB or something else?

Running-Back may also be an issue with Forte likely to be moving on after this season. We assume Cutler may not be here next season as well.
Old 22.10.2015, 12:17 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post
What position would you like to fill for the Bears with the first Draft Pick in 2016?

Running-Back may also be an issue with Forte likely to be moving on after this season. We assume Cutler may not be here next season as well.
Don't see us taking another running back wirh a high pick. Langford and Carey should be given a shot.

Offensive line is becoming an issue of late, Bushrod isnt all that and the likes of Vlad the imploder just cannot get it done.

The secondary too obviously is still a glaring need.
Old 22.10.2015, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

I think you always, always take the best player. Regardless of what position.

The Bengals taking two o-lineman this year with Whitworth and Smith on the roster made me happy.
Old 22.10.2015, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post

Having just made my BPA pitch, I will offer a few observations over the general needs we have next year imo.

The one area we do not need anyone is RB. Langford looks really good. Rodgers is a really nice "change of pace" back and by all accounts Ka'Deem Carey is good, but we simply cannot fit four guys on the roster. He's been good in preseason.

If they move on from Cutler in the summer they're all morons. Even if we draft somebody, that somebody cannot possibly be expected to be better than Jay immediately. Cutler should be the QB. He's fine. Not the problem.

The biggest "need" is cornerback. We're appalling. You can get guys in the top 3 rounds who are potential starters so I would be shocked if we didn't take one early in the draft. The Steelers are not laying Brandon Boykin and his contract is up after this year. I would like to see Chicago look at him. He is a good corner.

ILB is anoher area we should improve. I quite like McClellin there. Jones is fine. But they are not clear starters. If we can add players to form a rotation with a variety of skills that would be nice.

DE is a must. It's so vital in the 3-4. Ratliff is 31 or 32. Obviously, there is chance Sheldon Richardson hit the market. The Jets have replacement talent, he wants a fortune, they have some cap considerations and he's been suspended. We will have a lot of cap room too. Richardson is nut job but immensely talented. It would be interesting to see if we pursued him. Assuming he even hits.

OLB is so vital in the 3-4 that if there is a guy you like you take him. Pass Rush is key. Acho is pedestrian.

I'd take any O-line guys or a TE. Bennett will lobby to get out of Chicago soon I think. Bushrod is poor. Slausen, I love but is getting old. Then wherever Long isn't at Guard/Tackle needs to be better. Ideally I want Long at Guard.

Adrian Amos has been quality so FS is sound. SS is an area we could improve.
Old 23.10.2015, 03:24 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
Having just made my BPA pitch, I will offer a few observations over the general needs we have next year imo.
As usual I pretty much agree with olig23 - you don't go overdrafting because of need (looking to fill holes), you go BPA.

Ignoring that there are two key things to consider that haven't really been mentioned that will determine a lot;

1. How high will we actually be drafting? Positions tend to have a range. You'll hardly draft a safety at #1 or #2 picks and it's unlikely the top QB's will last past 3 or 4.

2. What is the free agency class of that year like? (assuming we spend on a player or two) You can't really consider the draft until you realise FA comes first and which positions have talented players available that will likely hit the market and their age profile.

Here is the 2016 free agents http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/

Quote:
The one area we do not need anyone is RB. Langford looks really good. Rodgers is a really nice "change of pace" back and by all accounts Ka'Deem Carey is good, but we simply cannot fit four guys on the roster. He's been good in preseason.
Agree we won't draft a RB in the first 3 rounds and especially not the first.

Quote:
If they move on from Cutler in the summer they're all morons. Even if we draft somebody, that somebody cannot possibly be expected to be better than Jay immediately. Cutler should be the QB. He's fine. Not the problem.
Cutler saves $4m (back up QB money) so they'll keep him regardless. Whether they'll draft a QB depends how high they pick, who picks ahead of them in terms of needing a QB & what they think of the prospects. I think we'll draft high enough and the prospects don't seem great but a lot of college football to play yet.

Quote:
The biggest "need" is cornerback. We're appalling. You can get guys in the top 3 rounds who are potential starters so I would be shocked if we didn't take one early in the draft. The Steelers are not laying Brandon Boykin and his contract is up after this year. I would like to see Chicago look at him. He is a good corner.
1st round corners don't have a good record of late. We need 2 corners so we'll likely have to draft 1 in first 3 rounds and pick one up in FA.

The two Rams CB's are FA - and it's likely they might lose one. They suit our press man style so I'd like to see us try get one (preferrablyTrumaine Johnson)

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agen...ms/cornerback/

Quote:
ILB is anoher area we should improve. I quite like McClellin there. Jones is fine. But they are not clear starters. If we can add players to form a rotation with a variety of skills that would be nice.
I'd happily spend our first or second pick here. I think you need to give Fangio a playmaking ILB in his system. McClellin and Jones have been okay but no real impact. Racking up tackles after 4/5 yard gains isn't anything to write home about. They can't get off blockers, get into the backfield and make tackles for loss. They look distinctly like average rotation players.

Demario davis is an interesting one to watch for free agency.

Jaylon smith one to watch draft wise.

Quote:
DE is a must. It's so vital in the 3-4. Ratliff is 31 or 32. Obviously, there is chance Sheldon Richardson hit the market. The Jets have replacement talent, he wants a fortune, they have some cap considerations and he's been suspended. We will have a lot of cap room too. Richardson is nut job but immensely talented. It would be interesting to see if we pursued him. Assuming he even hits.
Ratliff is 34 (now gone too). It's wilkerson hitting FA not Richardson. If it was Richardson no way we go after him given the McDonald situation.

Wilkerson I dunno? I reckon he'll get re-signed or tagged anyway.

Malik Jackson looks like a rising star if he makes it to FA that would be an interesting one. Good chance he will given they need to tie up von miller but will likely have Mannings cap to play with.

Quote:
OLB is so vital in the 3-4 that if there is a guy you like you take him. Pass Rush is key. Acho is pedestrian.
We've no pas rush opposite McPhee, in fact McPhee is largely genearating the teams entire pass rush with a bit of help from Jenkins & Goldman pushing the pocket. While Acho is good in coverage, brings physicality and energy we badly need a rusher to go opposite McPhee.

Will Irvin reach free agency? Fangio tends to like longer bigger rushers.

Will we draft high enough for Joey Bosa? One to watch may be Emmanuel Ogbah.

Quote:
I'd take any O-line guys or a TE. Bennett will lobby to get out of Chicago soon I think. Bushrod is poor. Slausen, I love but is getting old. Then wherever Long isn't at Guard/Tackle needs to be better. Ideally I want Long at Guard.
Tackle is very high on the list of priorities right now, and would roughly fit where we might end up drafting right now.

If we don't go tackle in round 1 I'd be happy to see one or a guard (right guard) in the 2nd or 3rd. We need at least 2 offensive linemen this offseason via the draft or FA.

Quote:
Adrian Amos has been quality so FS is sound. SS is an area we could improve.
Deshawn shead anyone?

Anyway that's just a few early thoughts. Way too early given we don't know where we'll draft, FA has to come and go and there is so much college football to play yet.
Old 23.10.2015, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kennyb3 View Post
1. How high will we actually be drafting? Positions tend to have a range. You'll hardly draft a safety at #1 or #2 picks and it's unlikely the top QB's will last past 3 or 4.

2. What is the free agency class of that year like? (assuming we spend on a player or two) You can't really consider the draft until you realise FA comes first and which positions have talented players available that will likely hit the market and their age profile.

Here is the 2016 free agents http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/
Agreed. You would guess we will be drafting somewhere in the 7-14 range. That is my assumption based on our current level and schedule anyhow.

That pretty much rules out a QB, at least one who is not going to involve some work. Mainly because it's not considered a deep QB class either.

I think it's the area of the draft where you can often find value in front-7 guys. But time will tell on that.

Quote:
1st round corners don't have a good record of late. We need 2 corners so we'll likely have to draft 1 in first 3 rounds and pick one up in FA.

The two Rams CB's are FA - and it's likely they might lose one. They suit our press man style so I'd like to see us try get one (preferrablyTrumaine Johnson)
I do agree you find corners in random places. There is a high bust rate toward the top of the draft. That said, you have to trust your scouting. If there's a guy you like, take him. But by no means should be set our hearts on a 1st or 2nd round corner - or any other position for that matter.

Free Agency is a good place to find supplemental talent. I like Boykin, as mentioned. I think slot guys are valuable more than ever the way the NFL has utilized that area with flex TEs and guys like Welker and Edelman with increased success.

Looking at that list there is talent there, but most of which I suspect won't see the market. McBride is a very good player, but the Rams would be crazy not to re-sign him I think.

Quote:
I'd happily spend our first or second pick here. I think you need to give Fangio a playmaking ILB in his system. McClellin and Jones have been okay but no real impact. Racking up tackles after 4/5 yard gains isn't anything to write home about. They can't get off blockers, get into the backfield and make tackles for loss. They look distinctly like average rotation players.

Demario davis is an interesting one to watch for free agency.

Jaylon smith one to watch draft wise.
I signed Demario Davis on Madden He's a good player, but if Wilkerson goes then the Jets have more room to work with you assume. Still, he'd be a coveted player if he hits the market. Young and solid.

I do think the Bears need to address it. I'm fine with Jones and McClellin on the roster but to be upgraded. Also, and this may seem old-fashioned, but I believe in the Bears staying true to tradition. I really believe that soldier Field is not conducive to high-octane passing offence teams. The field is garbage and the weather is a factor. The Bears need to have a stud ILB. It's part of their identity.

I always feel like some organizations collectively do better when they know who they are supposed to be. If that makes any sense? THe Steelers were always tough and ran it. Players who signed for them respected that tradition and knew what they needed to do. Free Agents knew that. It has extrinsic value. The Bears need to get back to being the Bears. They need to be tough and they need continuity. That way hard nosed defenders will want to play for them and draft picks will know what they are going to do before they sign. It's valuable.

It all starts from the ILB poisition.

Quote:
Ratliff is 34 (now gone too). It's wilkerson hitting FA not Richardson. If it was Richardson no way we go after him given the McDonald situation.

Wilkerson I dunno? I reckon he'll get re-signed or tagged anyway.

Malik Jackson looks like a rising star if he makes it to FA that would be an interesting one. Good chance he will given they need to tie up von miller but will likely have Mannings cap to play with.
I always get them mixed up. Oops. Wilkerson is what I meant to write...

He seems likely to hit the market, given how much he's complaining and how much they have invested in that D-line already.. If so he'll be extremely sought after, because he's excellent. We have the cap room to go hard after him and it would be worth it - for once (I'm a huge skeptic of spending big in FA).

Quote:
We've no pas rush opposite McPhee, in fact McPhee is largely genearating the teams entire pass rush with a bit of help from Jenkins & Goldman pushing the pocket. While Acho is good in coverage, brings physicality and energy we badly need a rusher to go opposite McPhee.

Will Irvin reach free agency? Fangio tends to like longer bigger rushers.

Will we draft high enough for Joey Bosa? One to watch may be Emmanuel Ogbah.
Getting another edge rusher is probably the biggest thing we could do to immediately improve. But it's hard to find them. I think Bosa goes top 3, but we have to hope for a steal.

Tamba Hali is a very good player, he's a very, very good person and will likely be available given the money KC have tied up on D. But he's 31 and as Jared Allen showed it's not usually a good idea. Draft seems like the best route.

Quote:
Tackle is very high on the list of priorities right now, and would roughly fit where we might end up drafting right now.

If we don't go tackle in round 1 I'd be happy to see one or a guard (right guard) in the 2nd or 3rd. We need at least 2 offensive linemen this offseason via the draft or FA..
As far as I am concerned you should never stop improving the o-line. You can draft them in the middle rounds too with success.
Old 23.10.2015, 04:25 PM
Starter

You are probably right re Wilkerson, as would make sense in terms of why they drafted Leonard Williams. But he might love Bowles and that might change things.

I'll have to look at richardson's contract as despite you mixing them up a lot might have to do with him (and his behaviour). If they need to cut him they'll want to keep wilkerson.

Totally agree re investing in defense and being a hard nosed football team.

Improving the Oline always makes sense (we've under invested in it for years) but especially so in our case if we are going to run the football.

So in summary i think we agree - CB (x2), 5 tech, OLB, ILB and Olinemen needed.

1 CB in FA makes sense anyway to me (two rookies would be mad) as does a starting guard as a minimum (again don't want too many rookies/inexperienced players). The wildcard is then making a play for Wilkerson or Malik Jackson.

(All way too early anyway (esp when you don't even know what FA's will even hit the market) but that's how things look in my head anyway)