Poor beyond belief! - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > San Francisco 49ers

Old 12.09.2010, 10:23 PM
Pro Bowler

Default Poor beyond belief!

Off to bed we've just gone 28-6 down there's no way am staying up when i gotta be up at 5am for this performance even if i wake up and we've pulled off some crazy comeback this has been shockingly bad performance from coaches to players all round Smith and crabtree look like they've never met still no O-line still can't convert a 3rd down still poor 2ndry still poor 9ers team on the upside we can only get better but we can't keep hoping to be good sooner or later something has gotta give be it Smith or even singletary who is a great motivator but his game management has to be under scrutiny at this point!SO dissappointed but hey the only way is up!
Old 13.09.2010, 08:32 AM
Super Moderator

Well, having slept on it, I still cannot find much positive to take from last nights game,....

I've been critical of Smith in the past, and that was a pretty good show case of the reasons why,.... He and Crabtree were not on the same page at all,.... One of the Ints I'll accept wasn't completely on Smith, although he threw the ball to Crabtree to hard and behind him I'd still expect Crabtree to catch that most times, but if you look at the replays he turns his head up field early. The Ball hits him and bounces up in the air and into the waiting hands of Babinaeux (sp?), (at least I think it was him for that one).....

The others were just bad throws by Smith, who didn't have much in the way of 'touch' to his passing all night, a case in point being the over throw to Norris that with little better placement was a TD for sure,.. OK a WR would have probably caught it anyway, but he should have been aware it was a FB he was throwing to,....

Also the PI call against Clements didn't help, when even a blind man could see it was in fact OPI, but all teams get duff calls made against them, just got to deal with it,... The decisions to go for it on 4th down, rather than just take the points we could of had, not once but twice,... Why??,... I know hindsight is 20/20 and all that, and if we got TD's both times it turns the entire game, we probably win and Sing is heralded for his gutsy play calling,.... But that didn't happen,......

Don't know what the solution is right now,... Hopefully that was more of a blip on the way to better things, I've posted before that I reckoned we'd drop at least a game that we were expected to win, all being well it's done and out of the way now,.... Sing has got his work cut out this week prior to the home opener, if being dismantled but the Seahawks isn't bad enough what are the defending SB Champs likely to do if the 'Niners put on another performance like last night's,...
Old 13.09.2010, 11:53 AM
Team Captain

The most worrying thing is the Seahawks are a poor poor team.

Our secondary was an absolute joke last night, Alex Smith was awful and the new O-Line failed miserably. No positives to take from it all.

I had spent the whole off season looking forward to Smith proving all his doubters wrong, seems I was the one who was wrong...very very wrong.
Old 13.09.2010, 01:08 PM
Starter

Gutted by last nights performance. Mistakes made all over the field by both offence and defence. Smith again misses easy passes for two TDs and folded as soon as any pressure was put on him. Not convinced we will ever get a winning season with him as the starting QB.

Last edited by Jute; 13.09.2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 13.09.2010, 04:26 PM
All Pro

I don't know why we didn't put Westbrook in on 3rd downs - maybe then we would have driven down the field a bit better - oh well,on to the Saints
Old 13.09.2010, 05:53 PM
All Pro

Send a message via Yahoo to WillyJLass

Well, it's definitely not the end of the world...or the season for that matter. Last year the Niners won their first two games and lost like 6 straight. So I'll take this loss if it reverses the trend from last year. Alex Smith was VERY inaccurate to say the least. I don't mind the 4th and 1 call to go for it. The right play was called, Moran Norris was WIDE open. Alex just flat out missed him from 6 yards away. There's no words for the secondary. The only two positives I can take away from the game is the run defense and the play of both TEs. It was pretty solid. The Niners, however, still have a problem on 3rd down. 1 for 15 is atrocious. They were better on 4th down (66%) than they were on 3rd down (6%). Next week at home on Monday Night against the World Champs...we'll see how that goes.
Old 13.09.2010, 06:50 PM
All Pro

Just finished watching the game on Gamepass Archive (don't have Sky) and all I can say is - ****.

There was bad play all round but apart from the two gambles by Clements and Brown that we got burned on the D held up pretty well I thought. The offense was awful though, I just hope it was a combination of nerves/noise that made the O-line play that way, they got no movement on the D-line at all.

Alex looked like he did when he first came into the league. When there was no pressure on him at the start he went 9 of 10 and yes, he missed a couple of throws, but he was looking good, but once the Hawks started getting pressure it was the same old run-for-your-life type of QBing. Lots of people are already calling for him to go, that's a knee-jerk reaction as far as I'm concerned and there's a looooooong way to go yet.

It's only week 1 and tbh we never seem to do well in Qwest but we need to get the false starts and delay of game penalties sorted out, can't keep killing ourselves like that. We were taking far too long to get up to the line, need more time to make defensive reads etc when away from home.
Old 13.09.2010, 09:21 PM
Pro Bowler

obviously we are all dissapointed with last night, but if i can draw on the positives:

iupati and davis where starting off tough with all the noise of quest field, they can only get better as the o-line gels more which i'm sure will happen.

smith initially looked in control of the offence which hes not done before, i'm not sure if he lacked confidence with what was coming from the sideline.

ginn didnt **** any punts.

last but not least i wouldnt want us to be too complacement thinking we were guaranteed our spot in the playoffs, this might be the kick we were going to need at some point in the season.

looking forward don't forget we are expected to lose to the saints so we have nothing to lose.....only to gain.
Old 14.09.2010, 07:45 AM
All Pro

I had predicted us going 0-2 to start tbh, at best 1-1, two of our toughest games to start. Agree about the tough intro for the two rookies and Ted Ginn is definitely an upgrade at KR and PR from Arnaz Battle (but then who wouldn't be?).

Will be interesting to see how Seattle fares in coming weeks though, I thought they'd be a bit more disorganised what with all the offseason changes they've made.
Old 14.09.2010, 03:52 PM
Pro Bowler

what a shower of **** !
1st 20 mins all the stats pointed to 49ers playin well but the worry was the lack of scoring .
then panic football seemed to be the order for the second half.
i have no confidence in alex smith as a team leader he looked like a rabbit in headlights ,throwing the ball away as if he was handeling a live grenade about to explode .
i know its only the 1st game of 16 and its away to a well supported team but its not that they lost its the way they all seemed to panic that worries me .

on an offensive view point no T.D'S in a game against any team is a worry !
and next its the saints .....................