Sky Super Bowl Week Coverage - Page 2 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo

Sponsored Links

Old 28.01.2017, 11:15 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebluejay View Post
Don't forget Sky have big games like Bournemouth versus Swansea or Hull versus West Brom to promote, so that leaves little time for NFL coverage, even though it is leading up to the biggest week of the season. EPL and the massive amount of money that Sky put in to the footy coverage means there is little time or appetite from their top brass for much else that doesn't involve top flight football.

Look at the humongous coverage that their transfer deadline day will get on Tuesday when Jim White and his yellow tie will be wetting himself all evening long as Fred Bloggs completes a loan move from Colchester to Crystal Palace.

No Ringside, Boots n all, other magazine shows, correspondents being made redundant, all to fund their Premier League cash cow, and i am a football fan (both codes).

They've dumbed down their sports coverage so much, barring the Premier League coverage, it is unbelievable, yet they can still pay the likes of Thierry Henry 4 million a year or so.

If it is true that Neil, Jeff etc are going over to Houston to record stuff in Super Bowl week and then broadcasting the game from their studio in Isleworth, then that is unbelievable too.

Surely it isn't too much to ask, for Sky the main Super Bowl and NFL broadcaster in the UK, to devote some airtime every evening on one of their 5 channels for some pre game coverage and then at least send the broadcasters out there to cover the game.

Next thing we'll be having Don Johnson back in the studio, after all he must get cheaper every year!
Summed up perfectly! I remember when the Premier League rights were going on they said that choice was good for the consumer. I think it's been the opposite, Sky have had to put prices up because of the competition they had to fend off, whilst BT have done the same. Then all the other sports suffer as the money and resources have gone to football. Just my take.

As for the NFL on Sky, it used to feel like a toned down version of what America got. New NFL Films shows on, NFL Network news shows etc.. Now it almost feels like their coverage is a token gesture and the fans are an inconvenience to Sky.
Sponsored Links
Old 28.01.2017, 06:07 PM
MVP

Quote:

If it is true that Neil, Jeff etc are going over to Houston to record stuff in Super Bowl week and then broadcasting the game from their studio in Isleworth, then that is unbelievable too.

Surely it isn't too much to ask, for Sky the main Super Bowl and NFL broadcaster in the UK, to devote some airtime every evening on one of their 5 channels for some pre game coverage and then at least send the broadcasters out there to cover the game.

Next thing we'll be having Don Johnson back in the studio, after all he must get cheaper every year!
sure Sky will have other people in the stadium next week to do links from the game.think its better to have the main TV studio stuff from here rather than them all in a small suite in houston,that way Jeff can still play with his screen to break down plays during the breaks.guess Neil would only want to stay in the states if the Dolphins ever made the big game again.

guessing we will get a load of coverage during the week on sky sports news and on the weekend will get the superbowl preview show.
Old 28.01.2017, 06:58 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee harris 10 View Post

guessing we will get a load of coverage during the week on sky sports news and on the weekend will get the superbowl preview show.
I'm not sure we will get a 'load' of coverage on sky sports news, i'm guessing it'll be a 5 minute or so segment with soundbites, clips of interviews on media day and the like. Don't forget there is a full slate of Premier League games on Tuesday and Wednesday and it's trasnsfer deadline day on Tuesday as well, if anyone thinks that won't take up the majority of each hour on sky sports news then they have obviously never watched the channel.

We will get the obligatory preview on the Saturday i'm sure.

Don't care what anyone says, it looks to me as though Sky's commitment to the NFL isn't what it used to be, maybe that is for financial reasons. Perhaps i'm wrong, but that is what it seems. It is still decent enough, but could be much better. It also seems that it is like that for many other sports as Sky conserves its finances for bidding for the major football rights when they come around, i'm sure they'll want Champions League back, when the right become available again and everything else will suffer. They even gave up the TV rights to the US Open tennis to Eurosport, so masny sports are suffering as it seems to be football most of the way on Sky now.
Old 28.01.2017, 06:58 PM
Pro Bowler

Is it Fox doing the Superbowl this year? If so, it seems very funny to me that Sky seem to be downturning their NFL coverage in general and in particular the Superbowl, given that their paymasters are covering the event.
I guess it's down to them overbidding for the Premier League contract LIKE THE IDIOTS THAT THEY ARE.
Old 28.01.2017, 07:01 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunk247 View Post
Summed up perfectly! I remember when the Premier League rights were going on they said that choice was good for the consumer. I think it's been the opposite, Sky have had to put prices up because of the competition they had to fend off, whilst BT have done the same. Then all the other sports suffer as the money and resources have gone to football. Just my take.

As for the NFL on Sky, it used to feel like a toned down version of what America got. New NFL Films shows on, NFL Network news shows etc.. Now it almost feels like their coverage is a token gesture and the fans are an inconvenience to Sky.
Well said, totally spot on in my opinion.

Thank goodness for online opportunities now, we needed Sky in the 90's to broadcast the game, we don't need them now, or at least as much as we did.
Old 28.01.2017, 07:19 PM
Pro

I think 90% of what sports Sky show nowadays other than football (Premier League to be precise) is seen by their guys as just filler for their channels.

I was told that they wanted to drop most darts coverage other than the World Champs and Premier League but Barry Hearn played hardball with them and told them they had to have the other tournaments otherwise he would take the lot away from them. The World's give them nice viewing figures over the Christmas period.

Other sports as mentioned have suffered, no magazine shows, less coverage, even football that is non Premier League, their SPL coverage is a joke compared to the effort BT puts in, Sky only want the Old Firm games and are obliged to show other games.

So to see them treat the NFL the same way is no surprise, i'm sure the NFLUK people and Kirkwood say that Sky do a fabulous job, but i wonder how many think it is getting inferior every year, maybe just me!
Old 28.01.2017, 08:56 PM
Pro Bowler

The NFL claims they have millions of fans and people on here all moan about how it is a minority sport that hardly anyone they know watches.

Sky do not devoted hours to programming that will only be watched by a few thousand people and everyone they know wants to see it.

Same as it ever is.

Despite that, Sky are showing 112 hours of uninterrupted NFL programming in the lead up to their pre-game coverage. I believe the content Reynolds and Reinebold are producing in Houston next week will be also shown on a main channel as well as on-demand and online.

As to why Sky are not showing Fox's pre-game coverage as they did three years ago. Partly I imagine it is not worth the cost given how few people are interested. Fox and Sky are still separate companies so they still need to buy rights, but showing a feed still as its own technical costs.

But partly because it will be difficult not to breach broadcasting regulations. In 2014 the Fox coverage included an entire segment which was just a long piece of Pizza Hut product placement.

I have no idea how they were never sanctioned over that, it was a five-minute long live ad, at least no action was announced publicly. But given the ruling against BT Sport due to one of the sponsor spots read out by the commentators on an ESPN feed it is not surprise that Sky subsequently dropped most live relays.
Old 28.01.2017, 09:19 PM
Pro

Quote:
Well said, totally spot on in my opinion.

Thank goodness for online opportunities now, we needed Sky in the 90's to broadcast the game, we don't need them now, or at least as much as we did.
I remember when Fox last had the Super Bowl (Seahawks and Broncos). We had new NFL Films shows, dedicated media day coverage and all the Fox preview shows throughout the week! There was a 2 hour breakfast show, one in the evening (broadcast live at the same time as in America). We also had the Fox build up on game day with all the interviews we don't get on Sky (there was a great one with Manning in front of the Statue of Liberty).

They did the same with the NFL Network 2 years ago for Patriots and Seahawks.

Now apparently the game is bigger than ever, 4 London games are selling out in record time and even the casual fan is more interested in the game.. Yet the coverage is 10% of what it once was? It's baffling.
Old 29.01.2017, 09:21 AM
Pro

We might find with the changes that have been made this year post season with game pass the NFL might not want to give up its shows on the Network as they are trying to get paying customers. I have always been a bit surprised that given how close sky and fox are we dont get their build up shows on game days.
Old 01.02.2017, 08:08 PM
MVP

so for some reason Sky have changed the schedule again for the 5 days of nfl stuff,the classic games have now all gone and have been replaced by Road to the superbowl which is just bits of the NFL Films/mic'd up stuff from the regular season.

also no superbowl preview show.makes no sense.