The 2019 Draft and Mock Draft thread - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 01.01.2019, 04:13 PM
All Pro

Default The 2019 Draft and Mock Draft thread

Time to start looking forward to next season, so here is a thread for wishful hoping. I probably won't post as many mocks as last season, but here goes with my 1st top 10

1. Arizona Cardinals – Nick Bosa – DE
You don't overthink it, you take the number 1 prospect and move on

2. San Francisco 49ers – Quinnen Williams – DT
The 49ers have spent so much on 1st round D line its getting silly, but I dont think you can pass Williams if you can't trade out

3. New York Jets – Jonah Williams – OT
The Jets have very little to build around, but they do have Darnold, and he stays upright, they have a chance of progress. Williams is the best O lineman in the draft, and whether he plays tackle, or inside, he helps Darnold significantly, going defense here just seems like a GM playing too smart to me. Coming from Alabama he'll be ready to start day 1

4. Oakland Raiders – Josh Allen – Edge
The Raiders find pass rush.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers – Greedy Williams – CB
I don't know why the GM is being retained, but never mind. The Buccs need to do something about their secondary, but at this early stage, I put Williams as my CB1, the price feels a touch rich, but

6. New York Giants – Rashan Gary – DE
The Giants place a value on flexibility over pure talent, take Gary over Oliver and continue to work with Eli.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars – Noah Fant – TE
I think the Jags will go after an experienced QB, Flacco seems to make a lot of sense, so I've made this pick on the assumption they dont need a starting QB. People will say this is far too early for Fant, and by mocks standards, it is. But here is the thing, Fant is ridiculously good. I dont care about traditional logic about rookie Tight Ends. Fant would offer both a creative threat, and give blocking help. He is the best TE to come out since I don't know when. We have seen the value of elite Tight Ends in recent years, there is every reason to think Fant could become elite

8. Detroit Lions – Ed Oliver – DT
Ed Oliver shouldn't fall this far, he is a lethal interior rusher. I don't believe the character question marks, but someone naturally falls a spot or two. Bargain at this spot

9. Buffalo Bills – DK Metcalf – WR
We saw last off season the Beane valued physical specimens on days 1 and 2 (Allen. Edmunds and Phillips). Metcalf despite an injury question mark, is the archetype WR1, he is (and I've got a lot of video to watch on Receivers) my WR1, in a class I really really like. Don't believe the nonsense, this is the best WR class in half a decade, and arguably even deeper than the fabled 2014 draft, you will get stars on day 2. Metcalf, currently, is my WR1 and I think suits what the Bills want to do with Allen, perfectly.

10. Denver Broncos – Drew Lock – QB
I set my stall out last off season on Lock and I stand by it. We are seeing a new resurgence in gunslinging Quarterbacks and I think Elway will surprise people and go for Lock here, he starting to get on thin ice and he cant mess up the QB again.
Old 01.01.2019, 04:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Obviously you aren't projecting trades, but someone trading up to 2 or 3, especially 3, feels like a decent bet. Whoever the QB's in this draft are, one of them will rise as the draft nears. For instance, the Jets and Jags look like good partners. I like the Jonah Williams pick, but any of those top 6 players could help the Jets, and they could possibly recoup the 2nd rd pick they gave away last season by moving back a few spots. In your scenario the Jags sign.a veteran, and the Giants don't do deals with the Jets, so my view falls apart there. It's hard to see the Jets moving back to #10 or beyond too.

Interesting view on Fant. I've seen some question if TJ Hockenson is actually better than Fant (not sure if he declared off the top of my head).

As a Cowboys fan it'll be interesting to see how the WR class emerges. When the Cowboys traded for Amari Cooper the general thought was this class lacked a player worthy of a top 20 selection.
Old 01.01.2019, 04:49 PM
All Pro

The trade market is really hard to judge, there isn't the classic top 3 pick QB around, but it depends on who leaves FA needing a QB. And whether people feel the need to jump up. Right now, I see a lot of sellers and few buyers.

The WR class for will be rich well into day 2. I didn't like the Cooper trade because you have to pay a decent contract soon, but you have certainty which equally has its benefits.
Old 01.01.2019, 06:13 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloG View Post
The trade market is really hard to judge, there isn't the classic top 3 pick QB around, but it depends on who leaves FA needing a QB. And whether people feel the need to jump up. Right now, I see a lot of sellers and few buyers.

The WR class for will be rich well into day 2. I didn't like the Cooper trade because you have to pay a decent contract soon, but you have certainty which equally has its benefits.
the Cooper deal isn't so bad even with the 5th year option price still been below the $16m an average #1 WR can command but the Cowboys have some big contracts to sort out over the next 2 off-seasons and its going to hard to pay everyone and now they have Zeke and Dak who can now ask there agents to start asking about new deals.
Old 02.01.2019, 05:28 PM
Team Captain

Is this assuming that Haskins doesn't come out or you don't like him that high/think the league won't like him that high?

I think Jacksonville's cap situation means they pretty much have to have a rookie QB, they're looking at a $16.5m dead cap hit on Bortles and are right up against the cap already. I agree that their people would like a more experienced guy but don't think they can afford it.

Fant that high is interesting, it's a bold suggestion for sure but given the impact a great TE can have, why shouldn't they go in the top 10 if they're good enough. Not sure people will gamble on it given the low number of snaps he played at Iowa but I think you're more right than wrong about his ability - could rise after the Combine too, his jumps are ludicrous.

I can't see Denver going for Lock after the misfire on Lynch. He's not that bad by any means but screwing up on the same sort of QB twice would be a very bad look and I don't think they'll risk it.
Old 03.01.2019, 12:29 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh View Post
Is this assuming that Haskins doesn't come out or you don't like him that high/think the league won't like him that high?

I think Jacksonville's cap situation means they pretty much have to have a rookie QB, they're looking at a $16.5m dead cap hit on Bortles and are right up against the cap already. I agree that their people would like a more experienced guy but don't think they can afford it.

Fant that high is interesting, it's a bold suggestion for sure but given the impact a great TE can have, why shouldn't they go in the top 10 if they're good enough. Not sure people will gamble on it given the low number of snaps he played at Iowa but I think you're more right than wrong about his ability - could rise after the Combine too, his jumps are ludicrous.

I can't see Denver going for Lock after the misfire on Lynch. He's not that bad by any means but screwing up on the same sort of QB twice would be a very bad look and I don't think they'll risk it.
Haskins is because a) I've not seen much of him, I haven't prioritised the QBs this year because of the Bills not needing one and b) What I have seen hasn't especially impressed. I can imagine as we get further down the line I'll watch more and maybe he jumps up. I recognise the general consensus is he'll be QB1. With respect Lock, I was a Lock supporter dating back to last year. I think we've seen the league go after gunslinger types, and the likes of Mahomes and Mayfield were drafted higher than expectations. Sometimes its just case of liking someone

Denver are in a horrendous spot, you have an over priced backup starting in Keenum, but he is on so much money, its a huge admission of defeat to go elsewhere. Ultimately I think they do, because if they have another bad year Elway's job would under serious threat.

Jacksonville, you're right are in a tough spot but with the cap, but its only going to get worse, so I feel they will try and take their Super Bowl window whilst they can. They are a couple of years away from having to tear the whole thing down for the cap. So I think they will try and find a way to get in a free agent, Flacco being the obvious one, and try and win in the next 2 years.
Old 03.01.2019, 12:37 PM
All Pro

The more I watch of this WR class, the more I like it.

You could get double digit WRs who go on to become WR1s or WR2s in this league. I look and think on day 2 you may could get multiple true WR1s.

Take Anthony Johnson for example, probably a round 3 pick for a lot of people? Nothing to suggest he couldn't become a really solid WR2 in this league. I watch his tape, and he has a NFL game, shedloads of talent, and just the sheer volume of good WRs means he isn't going to be in day 1 conversation or even early day 2
Old 03.01.2019, 02:06 PM
All Pro

Way too early for mock drafts, but I wanted to do one, if anything just to see how much my mock draft changes.
This is not based from my own prospect rankings! I'm using another list.
I'm not factoring in trades.
I'm not factoring in who may fill needs in free agency.

1. Arizona Cardinals - Nick Bosa, DE, Ohio State
Considered the best prospect in the draft at the moment.

2. San Francisco 49ers - Greedy Williams, CB, LSU
49ers need another Cornerback opposite Sherman, who isn't get any younger.

3. New York Jets - Josh Allen, EDGE, Kentucky
Jets fans want an edge rusher and Josh Allen is near the top of the prospects.

4. Oakland Raiders - Quinnen Williams, DT, Alabama
Think Oakland will always go with the best player available.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers Dwayne Haskins, QB, Ohio State
Assuming that Tampa Bay will leave Winston behind, we could see the top Quarterback prospect being picked here.

6. New York Giants, Drew Lock, QB, Missouri
I think that Eli Manning will be back and starting next year, but in an unfriendly Quarterback draft, why not take the next best Quarterback prospect here to groom under Eli?

7. Jacksonville Jaguars, Jonah Williams, OT, Alabama
KEEP BORTLES! ...Kidding, I think his time is up and Jacksonville will draft a Quarterback. This scenario with Haskins and Lock already off the board isn't good for Jacksonville and reaching for a round 2 or 3 Quarterback prospect is a bad idea, so in comes the best offensive tackle prospect to fill a need.

8. Detroit Lions - Devin White, DT, LSU
Top 10 prospect and a huge position of need for Detroit.

9. Buffalo Bills - Greg Little, OT, Ole Miss.
Buffalo needs to protect their new Quarterback and need to improve their O-line. Little is the second best O-Line player on the list I'm using.

10. Denver Broncos - Ed Oliver, DT, Houston
A top prospect who has dropped down the draft a bit, picked up by Denver.

11. Cincinnati Bengals - Montez Sweat, OLB, Miss. State
Cincinnati needs a pass rusher.

12. Green Bay Packers - Rashan Gary, DT, Michigan
A player that would fit in at Green Bay.

13. Miami Dolphins - A.J. Brown, WR, Ole Miss.
If Tannehill is gone, they'll need a Quarterback, but the round 1 prospects have already gone, so they'll get the best Wide Receiver in the draft according to the list I'm using. We assume from here on that teams have used a veteran Quarterback to fill their need.

14. Atlanta Falcons - Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson
Atlanta needs help on their D-Line.

15. Washington Redskins - D.K. Metcalf, WR, Ole Miss
Team number five I could really see picking up a Quarterback, but at 15 the next best Quarterback is again a reach, but the next best Wide Receiver isn't.

16. Carolina Panthers - Clelin Ferrell, DE, Clemson
Carolina needs a new pass rusher.

Rest will have to come another time!
Old 03.01.2019, 02:35 PM
Hall of Fame

My draft views this year are based pretty much solely on what certain members of the media think paired with team philosophy/need.

So with that said, how good is Josh Allen? The general thought seems to be the Cards, 9ers and Jets would all happily take Nick Bosa, not only as he's possibly the best player in the draft, but it also fills a need. If Josh Allen blows up the combine would the 9ers take him over the likes of the Williams' or Ed Oliver for instance?
Old 03.01.2019, 05:33 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
My draft views this year are based pretty much solely on what certain members of the media think paired with team philosophy/need.

So with that said, how good is Josh Allen? The general thought seems to be the Cards, 9ers and Jets would all happily take Nick Bosa, not only as he's possibly the best player in the draft, but it also fills a need. If Josh Allen blows up the combine would the 9ers take him over the likes of the Williams' or Ed Oliver for instance?
Whoever drafts Allen is going to need a plan as to what you do with him. He is still raw, and I can see him getting bullied by decent NFL offensive tackles. 2 is rich for me.