Cornerbacks - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 14.05.2015, 07:09 PM
All Pro

Default Cornerbacks

Both Carrs and Scandricks contracts are up for discussion, Carr apparently is on a big wage but says he loves being a Cowboy wheras Scandrick is a no show(i hate that) maybe if he wont agree to a revised pay slip he should go? especially with Jones biting the bit?
Old 14.05.2015, 08:26 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
Both Carrs and Scandricks contracts are up for discussion, Carr apparently is on a big wage but says he loves being a Cowboy wheras Scandrick is a no show(i hate that) maybe if he wont agree to a revised pay slip he should go? especially with Jones biting the bit?
Carr is a $12m cap figure. He isn't worth that, but it's the usual player/franchise stand off. Carr can be stubborn, and call the Cowboys bluff. If we cut him post June 1 then we'll spread the cap hit over 2 years. We still have to pay it though, and we get no cap savings due to the deal. We take $4m hit this year, and $8 next. So the $8m we save now, we lose next year. Basically we gain nothing by cutting him, and we have no cornerback.

Scandrick is our best CB. Byron Jones is a rookie, don't forget that. He may be a 1st round rookie, but he's still a rookie, a player who has proved nothing on an NFL field. Scandrick needs to stay. Although he has no real right to any extra money, I feel we need to realise he has outperformed his current contract (even though we gave him $9m upfront when he wanted it) and add to it. I'm not saying he should be given a 5yr/$50m deal, but perhaps add $2m/yr to the remaining 4 years of his deal.

The best scenario is to get Carr to agree to reduce his deal (reduce $12m/yr----->$8m/yr?), then take that money and use some it to make Scandrick feel better about himself (raise his base salary from $3m/yr------>$5m/yr?).
Old 15.05.2015, 05:32 PM
All Pro

Crazy numbers 9m up front and hes holding out, he may be better than Carr but i,m thinking attitude sucks-trouble is i suppose if Cowboys dont pay him and cut him, some other team will take it on
Old 15.05.2015, 09:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Crazy numbers 9m up front and hes holding out, he may be better than Carr but i,m thinking attitude sucks-trouble is i suppose if Cowboys dont pay him and cut him, some other team will take it on
Yes, and yes.

He's an abrasive character at times (which can be good on the field), but he isn't a 'bad egg' in reality. If he holds out of Training Camp and becomes a thorn in the Cowboys side my opinion might change. At this stage though it's no different to a number of other players around the league who think their deals are 'outdated'.

The market moves so quickly now, and the salary cap will have jumped $20m in just a couple of years, so everyone wants a bigger piece of the pie.

If Mo Claibourne was healthy and living up to the hype, then things might be different. That said, having Mo and Jones on the outside, and Orlando in the slot would be great!

Lets just see how it all looks in August and go from there.
Old 22.05.2015, 03:14 PM
Hall of Fame

Well, Scandrick has signed a 1 year, $9.5m contract extension.

Not sure how that works out over the course of the deal, but it's clear they value him as at least their #2 CB of the future, if not #1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post

The best scenario is to get Carr to agree to reduce his deal (reduce $12m/yr----->$8m/yr?), then take that money and use some it to make Scandrick feel better about himself (raise his base salary from $3m/yr------>$5m/yr?).
I think it's basically this. almost $2m extra per year over the course of the deal.
Old 22.05.2015, 08:52 PM
All Pro

As Carr agreed to this or dont we know for sure?
Old 23.05.2015, 07:49 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
As Carr agreed to this or dont we know for sure?
Not sure the money has come from Carr's contract (in fact I'd say it hasn't at this point), we had spare cap space anyway.

With Scandrick happy now, perhaps they can put a little more pressure on Carr to take a pay cut.