Draft TV coverage - Page 7 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 20.04.2012, 04:23 PM
Rookie

Ok, so here's the reply that I got from ESPN:

(NB My original query was on one of those contact form things so I can't remember what exactly I wrote, but I'm pretty sure the only "promo" I mentioned was the announcement by NFLUK in Feb)

Hello Mike,

Sorry for the time taken its to reply to your query. I had to investigate as to how you may have seen said promo.

The NFL Draft was originally scheduled to air on ESPN UK not ESPN America, but I?m afraid we no longer hold the rights to air the Draft this season in the UK and must apologize if you saw a promo promoting this in the UK.

It is likely you saw a vignette promoting draft prospects and processes which we use to help keep fans in the know about the upcoming draft but do not mention a tune-in time or date as we do not air the NFL Draft on ESPN America. Sorry for any confusion.

On the plus side for you J

The NFL Draft will be aired live by the NFL on line at NFL.com
http://www.nfluk.com/tickets-events/draft

Hope this helps and please let me know if you have any further queries

Best regards

Nick

Nicholas Smith
Marketing

Doesn't really explain much, but if they didn't have the rights, then why was it announced that they would be showing it? Did they know they didn't have the rights and were trying to pull a fast one before the NFL realised and put a stop to it? Did everyone just presume they had the rights and suddenly discover otherwise? Whatever happened, someone dropped the ball big time.
Old 20.04.2012, 04:37 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerEsiason View Post

(NB My original query was on one of those contact form things so I can't remember what exactly I wrote, but I'm pretty sure the only "promo" I mentioned was the announcement by NFLUK in Feb)

Hello Mike,

Sorry for the time taken its to reply to your query. I had to investigate as to how you may have seen said promo.

The NFL Draft was originally scheduled to air on ESPN UK not ESPN America, but I?m afraid we no longer hold the rights to air the Draft this season in the UK and must apologize if you saw a promo promoting this in the UK.

It is likely you saw a vignette promoting draft prospects and processes which we use to help keep fans in the know about the upcoming draft but do not mention a tune-in time or date as we do not air the NFL Draft on ESPN America. Sorry for any confusion.

Best regards

Nick

Nicholas Smith
Marketing

Doesn't really explain much, but if they didn't have the rights, then why was it announced that they would be showing it? Did they know they didn't have the rights and were trying to pull a fast one before the NFL realised and put a stop to it? Did everyone just presume they had the rights and suddenly discover otherwise? Whatever happened, someone dropped the ball big time.
Well, it was announced by NFLUK on this forum that it would be on ESPN. ESPN had it in their programme listings for a while but didn't specifcally announce it out loud to my knowledge.

It seems like something happened at the NFL end, maybe Sky had something to do with it, maybe a deal for just the draft wasn't possible, who knows? (I would like NFLUK to tell us)
Old 20.04.2012, 04:39 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerEsiason View Post

Hello Mike,

Best regards

Nick

Nicholas Smith
Marketing

It sounds as if they are saying that they did have the rights, however at some point between the original announcement and the subsiquent announcement about it not being shown lost the rights.

Why unless Qualcomm decides to provide any information we can only speculate.
Old 20.04.2012, 04:46 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10placestodie View Post
Well, it was announced by NFLUK on this forum that it would be on ESPN. ESPN had it in their programme listings for a while but didn't specifcally announce it out loud to my knowledge.

It seems like something happened at the NFL end, maybe Sky had something to do with it, maybe a deal for just the draft wasn't possible, who knows? (I would like NFLUK to tell us)
Yeah, I think he must have thought that when I said it was announced that the draft would be shown on ESPN that I meant I had seen an ad for it on ESPN. I wouldn't have said I'd seen a promo, mostly because I didn't see one, but according to others on here they had info about the draft on their UK website which was taken down subsequently.

They still have it listed on their Live Sports schedule on the UK website, which I have pointed out:

http://tv.espn.co.uk/gb/espl/live-fixtures-on-espn/

No point crying about it now though, just going to have to accept that I won't be able to watch it, disappointing as that it.
Old 20.04.2012, 04:50 PM
Starter

Just looked on the tv guide on virgin for the night of the draft. Its definitely not on the schedule. ufc is on instead. nfl.com it is then....
Old 20.04.2012, 05:04 PM
MVP

Anyone got Hanks mobile number? I feel like calling him and pleading with him to come back as he always gave us answers, Qualcomm gives us bad news and then silence, bad news then silence.

"we dont currently have a deal with ESPN" - well then NFLUK pull your fingers out. Like others have said, you only ever hear from Kirkwood in october when its the wembley game.

How can we have an existing deal with ESPN for MNF but not let them show the draft or has the contract to show MNF run out just like skys to show the 6pm and 9pm games??

Its a joke yet we get no explanation. Without us, the fans, NFLUK would be NOTHING yet what do we get for basically giving Kirkwood and everyone else a job? NOTHING

Joke
Old 20.04.2012, 07:46 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qualcomm View Post
Unfortunately we do not currently have an agreement in place with ESPN so at the moment there are no plans for the Draft to be shown on ESPN
Old 20.04.2012, 07:54 PM
Pro Bowler

It's a shame. Luckily I have nfl network, so I can still see it. It's on radio 5 live I think, if that helps.
Old 20.04.2012, 07:55 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
Anyone got Hanks mobile number? I feel like calling him and pleading with him to come back as he always gave us answers, Qualcomm gives us bad news and then silence, bad news then silence.

"we dont currently have a deal with ESPN" - well then NFLUK pull your fingers out. Like others have said, you only ever hear from Kirkwood in october when its the wembley game.

How can we have an existing deal with ESPN for MNF but not let them show the draft or has the contract to show MNF run out just like skys to show the 6pm and 9pm games??

Its a joke yet we get no explanation. Without us, the fans, NFLUK would be NOTHING yet what do we get for basically giving Kirkwood and everyone else a job? NOTHING

Joke
Unfortunatley I agree... BRING BACK HANK!
Old 20.04.2012, 09:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post

Joke
Pretty sure this is him on Twitter

@nflukhank