Johnny Football - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NCAA College Football

Old 06.01.2013, 06:47 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer#95 View Post
I think people are naive if they don't think a lot of college guys aren't getting something from boosters, college or whatever. You see them with massive cars and great jewllery, most aren't that rich!

Here is Mark Barron, on the night of the draft. I imagine he couldn't afford a watch like that of his own accord! I don't think a lot of people would!
No doubt it still goes on. A&M problem is Johny Football he is very high profile and getting pictured in places he can't afford. People are going to ask questions.
Old 06.01.2013, 08:02 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buccaneer#95 View Post
I think people are naive if they don't think a lot of college guys aren't getting something from boosters, college or whatever. You see them with massive cars and great jewllery, most aren't that rich!

Here is Mark Barron, on the night of the draft. I imagine he couldn't afford a watch like that of his own accord! I don't think a lot of people would!

My dorms at LSU were in the same complex as the athlete housing.
A few LSU football players I saw driving around had a Dodge Charger (or something similar) with the exact same flash rims on them. Knowing the background of some of the players it wasn't exactly subtle that they must have been getting additional cash or gifts from somewhere. I think most just turn a blind eye to it unless it becomes rampant.
Old 06.01.2013, 09:52 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfry View Post
Question is how do you answer those questions about him doing things he clearly can't afford.
His family are well off so wouldn't think money is that much of a worry, once a guy gets as much praise as him then people will always look to criticise him for what he does.
Old 08.01.2013, 10:41 AM
All Pro

Also, once they declare for the draft they can accept any money they want as they've already declared themselves ineligible for NCAA competition.
Old 08.01.2013, 01:09 PM
All Pro

Underage drinking Dom Perignon (can't afford that without boosters!). Johnny Football doesn't care!

Got to love him.
Old 08.01.2013, 02:10 PM

I was surprised given Johnny Football was there - he didn't appear in the second half sandwiched between McCarron's mum and lady.

Thing to remember he's still a young guy with the world at his feet. He's allowed some time to blow off some steam a bit - and it didnt exactly harm his performance in the Cotton Bowl when he looked more confident than all year. It'll be up to Sumlin and his new staff to bring him back down to earth. Who the QB coach becomes is a huge hire for the Aggies.
Old 09.01.2013, 04:51 PM
Pro Bowler

As Dolphins_Akie says, his family are very well off, I wish people would stop trying to cause a stir.

He was spotted courtside at the Dallas Mavericks game a few weeks ago and people had the exact same reaction, just because he's a famous student athlete people just assume that he's not got that much money at home and that there's no way he could afford stuff like that.

My main concern with him isn't where he's getting the money, because I know how, my main concern is him posting pictures of himself drinking and generally pratting about. I've got no problem with people wanting to have fun, but Manziel surely wants a future NFL career, and if there's any concern about him possibly being a troublemaker, his stock will fall massively.
Old 09.01.2013, 11:28 PM
MVP

Make no mistake I am not going to have a go at a college kid for having fun with his success. Simple question with the cash being thrown around in public view can A&M explain it (the guys from Ohio State got in trouble for selling their OWN gear let alone getting free cash). If the NCAA is willing to accept this is a rich parent allowing him to spend his cash fine if not then A&M hopes of building to get to the SEC title game are over before things begin.
Old 09.01.2013, 11:35 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodfry View Post
Make no mistake I am not going to have a go at a college kid for having fun with his success. Simple question with the cash being thrown around in public view can A&M explain it (the guys from Ohio State got in trouble for selling their OWN gear let alone getting free cash). If the NCAA is willing to accept this is a rich parent allowing him to spend his cash fine if not then A&M hopes of building to get to the SEC title game are over before things begin.
With all the publicity there will have been questions asked but the media circus has been all about him enjoying himself rather than where the cash is coming from. My main concern is that he maintains his focus next summer when pre-season starts.
Old 10.01.2013, 06:47 AM
All Pro

Manziel's family has money. They bought him a Camaro as a reward for behaving himself after his arrest last summer.