PHINS FANS OPINIONS! - Page 2371 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Miami Dolphins

Old 09.09.2013, 03:44 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolphin_Akie View Post
But there's no way Reggie would have had that sort of game behind our o-line. He rarely did last year.
Thank you.

If Lamar Miller doesn't reach 1000 yards this season most people will come onto forums like this and say it was stupid not to resign Bush, without realising that Bush didn't reach 1000 yards last season either. Remember the incredible start he had? What happened after that? He pretty much disappeared.

It was evident that Reggie Bush's departure was coming when we traded up in the draft to get Lamar Miller in 2012. Whether you agree with the decision or not, its the way the whole NFL works when it comes to contracts.

The best teams in the NFL draft players with the future in mind. Second contracts are expensive, agents often think their clients are worth more than they really are. Look at the defensive tacke position: the Dolphins traded up to get Dion Jordan partly because they could push Jared Odrick inside and avoid having to resign either Paul Soliai or Randy Starks. It doesn't make the team worse (I think Odrick is severely underated) and it saves cap space.

Jonathan Martin was drafted with similar intentions - it saved them having to resign a declining Jake Long.

Obviously there will be some cases where resigning is a better option than drafting a future replacement. Thats usually when you have an elite player at a position. Reshad Jones is elite, and good safeties are hard to find. Not resigning Hartline could have had a negative impact on Tannehill (lack of chemistry with replacement?), and I'm sure Mike Pouncey will be a similar scenario. And of course Cameron Wake and his newish deal speak for themselves.
Old 09.09.2013, 08:30 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman32 View Post
Sounds like Mike Wallace has already thrown his toys out of his pram about his lack of targets this afternoon.
In fairness the coaching staff made the changes at half time to get him more of the ball. Ultimately he was merely a decoy for Hartline and Gibson. I'm sure he will get more chances as the seasons progresses.
Old 09.09.2013, 09:06 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bomber View Post
In fairness the coaching staff made the changes at half time to get him more of the ball. Ultimately he was merely a decoy for Hartline and Gibson. I'm sure he will get more chances as the seasons progresses.
Yeah agreed. Although he wasn't making any catches, I did feel he was having an impact on the game. The Dolphins targeted him deep 3 times in the 2nd half. He didn't catch any of them, but the fact that the Fins were showing the Browns that they were prepared to throw deep to him, had to help Hartline, Gibson and Clay in the underneath game.

Wallace needs to look at the bigger picture. He'll have days like that... but I'm sure he'll have days where he gets his catches too.

Last edited by Cornishman32; 09.09.2013 at 09:12 PM.
Old 10.09.2013, 01:42 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2bomber View Post
A 60m dollar decoy? I hope not.
Old 10.09.2013, 01:46 PM
Hall of Fame

Lamar Miller getting a lot of stick, but I didn't see many gaps for him and the Cleveland front was for large parts as good as ours.

Miller is not built to break tackles so gaps have to be made for him to exploit. What like to see a more up tempo offense, create mismatches by not allowing the Defense to substitute. It was all a bit pedestrian.
Old 10.09.2013, 01:57 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
Lamar Miller getting a lot of stick, but I didn't see many gaps for him and the Cleveland front was for large parts as good as ours.

Miller is not built to break tackles so gaps have to be made for him to exploit. What like to see a more up tempo offense, create mismatches by not allowing the Defense to substitute. It was all a bit pedestrian.
Yeah agreed. The consensus around the web from so-called experts seems to be that it was an O-Line problem rather than a RB problem. And the fact that Daniel Thomas didn't fair any better, also suggests that it appears to be an o-line issue. I'm not going to judge Miller too much after that one game, especially as the Browns did appear to have a fairly stout front 7.

Last edited by Cornishman32; 10.09.2013 at 02:06 PM.
Old 10.09.2013, 08:18 PM
Pro

All the RB needs to do is run his line, and run it hard. The rest of the work (until he breaks past the D-line) lies in the hands of the O-line to create the space and block for the RB to run though!
Old 11.09.2013, 01:14 PM
Pro Bowler

Well even with the rb/ol misfires on occassion I am reasonably optimistic than we can have a really good run at the Colts
Old 11.09.2013, 02:05 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlock View Post
Well even with the rb/ol misfires on occassion I am reasonably optimistic than we can have a really good run at the Colts
Yeah... I think our D is good enough to keep most games close for us this year... and when the game is close, anything can happen.
Old 11.09.2013, 02:27 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman32 View Post
Yeah... I think our D is good enough to keep most games close for us this year... and when the game is close, anything can happen.
Agree D can keep it close and Tannehill showed enough poise to give us encouragement that we can keep the scoreboad ticking over

Also looks like we have a kicker who certainly has some range over 50 yards too