Trademark board rules against Washington Redskins name - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 19.06.2014, 02:36 PM
MVP

Default Trademark board rules against Washington Redskins name

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...-redskins-name

Apologies if this has already been posted somewhere (I couldn't see it). If so, mod's feel free to delete.
Old 19.06.2014, 06:04 PM
MVP

Over 5 hours and not a single comment.

Is it me? Do I smell?
Old 19.06.2014, 09:28 PM
MVP

yawn

the courts have upheld the redskins name in all the other challenges.

wake me when they dont
Old 19.06.2014, 09:33 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riggo View Post
yawn

the courts have upheld the redskins name in all the other challenges.

wake me when they dont
That bit probably explains this largely dead thread I'm guessing.
Old 19.06.2014, 10:34 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smograider View Post
Just a non story as Dan Snyder lives

Note he said the name will be changed over his dead body
Old 20.06.2014, 12:35 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smograider View Post
It's also being discussed in the active name change thread in the main part of the board.

Having read the non-sensationalist articles about this, it appears that even if the Redskins do lose the appeal in this instance, the impact will be minimal. I posted two links to such articles in the other thread. Any significance of this ruling has been greatly overblown. Likewise, for those who talk about the "far-reaching consequences of this decision that extend beyond the name change argument".

That this has happened, though, does not help the Redskins in their fight, at the very least in terms of public perception. But public perception has been swayed by those who shout about it the loudest. I wonder how many of those who claim it is unequivocally offensive actually understand the argument presented as to why it is and to how it is not to do with reference to the colour of a person's skin.

In the end, I don't want my team to offend people, especially a population with a history like that of the Native Americans. But if the current campign leads directly to pressure from other areas to change the name and ultimately the Redskins are forced to do so, then this will have been achieved entirely by the wrong process and with little consideration for what the broader population of Native Americans believe, rather than people who claim to represent them.
Old 20.06.2014, 04:33 PM
All Pro

Most Redskins fans are sick of this story at this stage and have had enough of commenting on whether they should/shouldn't change the name. I've had enough anyway of posting on every new development on this story so have given up doing so. When there's something definite to comment on, I suppose we'll all post then.
Old 16.08.2014, 06:52 PM
Starter

All this started by non native american's who should concentrate on there own problems.
The Native American people just want get on with there lives and finally get help with more important things like health care etc.
For years they have been treated like 3rd class citizens.
More i think about this the more i feel its just another way for the Natives to be pushed out.
It seems to me they want the Native American out of sight and out of mind,after all they have been trying to kill them off for generations.
Old 04.11.2015, 01:26 PM
Starter

Unhappy

I think Washington will change their name as some point and will be applauded when they do. As a child in the 80s I loved everything NFL and all the logos etc and the Washington Native American on the helmet is so expressive. I would miss that.

Washington are a team with such a history that I don't think they deserve to be dragged through the mud when a name change (and rightly) could easily be done. Some native americans are insulted by a derogatory name and if it is wrong to call someone a redskins then surely it is wrong to call the team Redskins.

I didn't mean to go over the same old boring ground but it annoys me when half the coverage on such a great franchise is always negative
Old 26.08.2016, 04:55 PM
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX REDSKINS View Post
All this started by non native american's who should concentrate on there own problems.
The Native American people just want get on with there lives and finally get help with more important things like health care etc.
For years they have been treated like 3rd class citizens.
More i think about this the more i feel its just another way for the Natives to be pushed out.
It seems to me they want the Native American out of sight and out of mind,after all they have been trying to kill them off for generations.
Spot on Pal