Mlb 2017 - Page 24 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 25.08.2018, 08:53 PM
Pro Bowler

Been off the forums and also US sport for a while, but of late have started to get back into watching them (actually looking forwards to football season now) and have also started watch the baseball again.

Sad to say I seem to have developed a (probably unhealthy) interest in the Mets.
Old 25.08.2018, 10:39 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamar Raider View Post
Sad to say I seem to have developed a (probably unhealthy) interest in the Mets.
They can say what they want about the Mets but they are rarely boring I'll give them that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stubbsy #21 View Post
After weighing up the options I'm leaving the car at the hotel and taking the metro & shuttle. I managed to get a ticket on the reserve level for $21 plus fees so went with that. Checked the view on aviewfrommyseat.com and found a view from 2 rows behind me which looks half decent:
I just got really jealous of you when I was watching the game last night because if my maths is correct you will be seeing Rich Hill Pitch. He's the best he runs like he's in a scooby doo cartoon, has a wicked curve and rakes. Not to mention he pitched last night under the name Dick Mountain for players weekend
Old 26.08.2018, 07:57 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_T View Post
They can say what they want about the Mets but they are rarely boring I'll give them that.
Last nights game was certainly an entertaining watch.
Old 26.08.2018, 10:16 AM
All Pro

Quote:
My commiserations.

I ended up supporting them in 2006 and outside of that initial year and the run to the WS in 2015, it's been a pretty miserable experience. And it's not going to get better.

They have one of, if not the worst ownership in the league, terrible player management and a manager who seems well out of his depth at the moment. Although it's only his first year so I'll give him a pass.

The most annoying thing is that they are so focused on improving this season's record, they are playing old guys who shouldn't* be on the roster next year at the expense of younger players either on the bench or down in AAA who should be getting playing time to see if they can play full time at the major league level.

* I say shouldn't but with this ownership, they probably will be back as they're cheap and no one else wants them.

Why is Jose Reyes on the roster at this stage when Peter Alonso and Dom Smith are in AAA? They might not be good enough but there's only one way to find out and that's by playing them. Reyes should never have made the team this year and his performances have proved that. The worrying thing is that the Wilpons will probably look to re-sing him for next season too. And they are going to continue to play Jay Bruce at 1B too. Madness!

Last edited by Jack Presley; 26.08.2018 at 10:21 AM.
Old 26.08.2018, 10:36 AM
All Pro

Quote:
- Batting out of order
- Shortstop colliding with OF resulting in game winning run scoring
- Starting pitcher contracting hand, foot and mouth disease
- Manager TWICE bringing in relief pitcher before other team officially announced the guy in the on-deck circle (both times the hitting team then changed their hitter wasting the pitcher)
- Winning a game by 20 runs / losing a game by 20 runs
- What they've done to Dom Smith this season
- Not being able to score a run for the most part whenever Jacob deGrom pitches
- Saying in Spring Training that they're going to go with the best players available regardless of name, ability etc. yet continue to have Jose Reyes (the worst player in MLB this season) on the roster.
- Worst ownership in baseball (Google Wilpons for plenty of backup)
Yes, rarely boring but not in a good way unfortunately.

I have an unfortunate love/hate relationship with them. I love them but they annoy me so much too.

Last edited by Jack Presley; 26.08.2018 at 10:55 AM.
Old 26.08.2018, 01:15 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Presley View Post
My commiserations.

I ended up supporting them in 2006 and outside of that initial year and the run to the WS in 2015, it's been a pretty miserable experience. And it's not going to get better.

They have one of, if not the worst ownership in the league, terrible player management and a manager who seems well out of his depth at the moment. Although it's only his first year so I'll give him a pass.

The most annoying thing is that they are so focused on improving this season's record, they are playing old guys who shouldn't* be on the roster next year at the expense of younger players either on the bench or down in AAA who should be getting playing time to see if they can play full time at the major league level.

* I say shouldn't but with this ownership, they probably will be back as they're cheap and no one else wants them.

Why is Jose Reyes on the roster at this stage when Peter Alonso and Dom Smith are in AAA? They might not be good enough but there's only one way to find out and that's by playing them. Reyes should never have made the team this year and his performances have proved that. The worrying thing is that the Wilpons will probably look to re-sing him for next season too. And they are going to continue to play Jay Bruce at 1B too. Madness!
Cheers for that, well they say misery deserves company so I guess i'll have someone to commiserate with going forwards.

I've been taking a look at the AAA affiliate as well, manly because the Raiders are moving there, they've not got a good record either.
Old 26.08.2018, 01:38 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I've been taking a look at the AAA affiliate as well, manly because the Raiders are moving there, they've not got a good record either.
This is the last season the Mets AAA team will be based in Las Vegas. From next season they're moving to Syracuse, NY.

It's great that it's happening as the it's been a detriment to the team having the AAA team so far away. Whenever there's a late injury or they need a call up quickly, the player has to travel across the whole country nearly to get there. And its LV are on the road, there might not even be a direct flight to NY so he could spend half the day just getting to the park so is mentally drained before he even gets to play. Whereas Syracuse is a short journey away.

It's also hard to judge players out there too. It's a very hitter friendly league due to the stadiums and conditions in a lot of the places so averages are usually artificially high and pitchers stats look poor.

The Nats currently are the team based in Syracuse so their AAA team will have to find a new home. I don't know if any other AAA contract is open but if there isn't one, they'll have to relocate to Las Vegas so they'll have the travel problems the Mets currently have. They're getting a new stadium though for whichever team ends up there.

The AAA season ends next week too so enjoy your last few days following the Mets in LV...!!!

Last edited by Jack Presley; 26.08.2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 26.08.2018, 05:46 PM
MVP

Quote:
The AAA season ends next week too so enjoy your last few days following the Mets in LV...!!!

I'm so happy about this I can't wait for september call-ups. Kyle Farmer getting some of Barnes' games can't come too soon also Kemp and Taylor have been bad in August hopefully the likes of Toles and Verdugo will either fire them up or take their spots.
Old 26.08.2018, 08:11 PM
All Pro

Quote:
I'm so happy about this I can't wait for september call-ups. Kyle Farmer getting some of Barnes' games can't come too soon also Kemp and Taylor have been bad in August hopefully the likes of Toles and Verdugo will either fire them up or take their spots.
There's still the playoffs though after that (which LV won't be in). No idea who the LAD AAA even is so no idea whether they're still in with a shout .

What's the norm for teams that make the AAA playoffs does anyone know? Do they promote players and sacrifice the chance of winning the AAA title or do they leave them down to try and win it?
Old 26.08.2018, 08:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
- Batting out of order
- Shortstop colliding with OF resulting in game winning run scoring
- Starting pitcher contracting hand, foot and mouth disease
- Manager TWICE bringing in relief pitcher before other team officially announced the guy in the on-deck circle (both times the hitting team then changed their hitter wasting the pitcher)
- Winning a game by 20 runs / losing a game by 20 runs
- What they've done to Dom Smith this season
- Not being able to score a run for the most part whenever Jacob deGrom pitches
- Saying in Spring Training that they're going to go with the best players available regardless of name, ability etc. yet continue to have Jose Reyes (the worst player in MLB this season) on the roster.
- Worst ownership in baseball (Google Wilpons for plenty of backup)
Yes, rarely boring but not in a good way unfortunately.

I have an unfortunate love/hate relationship with them. I love them but they annoy me so much too.
This needs to be updated to include getting hammered 15-0 today by the Nats.

According to someone on Twitter, in the space of 4 outs being recorded, Adam Eaton came to bat 3 times!