NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 27.12.2010, 12:47 AM
Rookie

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderbear1 View Post
Not trained her yet then?

My partner was very happy to sit up watching the Vikes game in her PJ's & Hester shirt.Not sure pink fluffy slippers will become a standard part of the uniform!
Trouble I have is peeling her off the ceiling everytime Hester has a breakout play
My wife is a Spaniard who still hasn't fathomed out the rudimentaries of "English" football (refuse to say soccer) despite her father being a Real Madrid season-ticket holder - I'm guessing that American football may be tougher on her....

Ps. I suggest coaching the rules by English terminology, ie 1st & 10 (etc) becomes 1st attempt out of 4 to get 10 yards. My wife understood it in the Superbowl last year.... But - yeah there is that selective memory...
Old 28.12.2010, 10:39 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meaker View Post

Ps. I suggest coaching the rules by English terminology, ie 1st & 10 (etc) becomes 1st attempt out of 4 to get 10 yards. My wife understood it in the Superbowl last year.... But - yeah there is that selective memory...
Only saw this after explaining NFL rules to my family during the Boxing Day match. I think they felt sorry for me during the second quarter, but I told them things can change quickly...

It is very difficult interpreting an octagenarian's attempts at charades whilst watching NFL. I did manage to ensure all of my turns took place during timeouts/breaks in play though.
Old 29.12.2010, 10:16 AM
All Pro

Well, we've got the bye, who would have thought it. Not only the playoffs as Division Champs but bye in the playoffs. Well done to Lovie and the boys.
Old 29.12.2010, 11:42 AM
All Pro

In a way, I am annoyed we have the bye already. I am of the belief that momentum is huge for the playoffs.

Are we going to rest our players/play a vanilla game? Because for me letting guys have two weeks off with no proper football is far too long.

Anyone else got any thoughts on the matter?
Old 29.12.2010, 12:20 PM
All Pro

I suppose the absolutely ideal scenario would have been clinching the bye by beating the Packers in Green Bay & knocking them out. But the flipside of that, losing to GB and then having to play them again the following week... Fine if we eventually win through, but pretty agonising if they'd beaten us twice. So I'm very happy with what we have.

In fact I'm thrilled. Well done Chicago, well done Lovie, you've exceeded even my most optimistic expectations for the season. Long may it continue.
Old 29.12.2010, 02:31 PM
All Pro

Thanks very much Joe Webb!

To sit or to play your stars is an endless debate.

If you could see into the future and know your top players wouldn't get a freak injury in a pointless game then you would play them every time.

I am in favour of sitting players and knowing you can field your strongest team when it counts.

I would sit Cutler, Forte, Peppers, Urlacher and Briggs by half time.
Old 29.12.2010, 04:04 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
Thanks very much Joe Webb!

To sit or to play your stars is an endless debate.

If you could see into the future and know your top players wouldn't get a freak injury in a pointless game then you would play them every time.

I am in favour of sitting players and knowing you can field your strongest team when it counts.

I would sit Cutler, Forte, Peppers, Urlacher and Briggs by half time.
The worry I have is we meet GB a third time. If Chicago had the chance to knock them out of the playoffs I would take it. Then again that depends on Tampa winning so perhaps it's better to sit a few. I would like to see Caleb at QB for a few reps as he is a much better option than Collins but he is No. 3.
Old 29.12.2010, 04:49 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaz View Post
I would like to see Caleb at QB for a few reps as he is a much better option than Collins but he is No. 3.
This a big bugbear for me. I really think Hanie has earned the right to play a little. Collins is awful and is nothing more than a stopgap.

Hanie has done some really nice things in preseason and it's worth getting him in there against a good team to see if he can actually be a backup QB/ one the staff would feel confident using if Jay goes down.

But it's the sort of thing that makes far too much sense to do, so probably won't happen.
Old 29.12.2010, 05:36 PM
All Pro

I certainly would prefer not seeing the Pack in a playoff game; but having said that, I don't see any genuine standout in the NFC, just plenty of good but not unbeatable teams.

If any, I would prefer to avoid the Saints.

Nobody would expect to see Collins around next season would they? So you do have to wonder why he is considered no.2 after that debacle when he did play.

If Hanie isn't considered any good why didn't the team pick up a good vet when the opportunity was there? He has always looked like a decent player to me.

I think our crappy field is hindering our D-line but helping our O-line- seems like a reasonable trade-off to me.
Old 29.12.2010, 06:04 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbaz View Post
The worry I have is we meet GB a third time. If Chicago had the chance to knock them out of the playoffs I would take it. Then again that depends on Tampa winning so perhaps it's better to sit a few. I would like to see Caleb at QB for a few reps as he is a much better option than Collins but he is No. 3.
If Green Bay beat us on Sunday they will still only be the #6 seed, which means we can't play them before the NFC Championship Game (and assumes they beat Philly, then Atlanta/ New Orleans on the road).