Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Washington Redskins

Old 17.03.2005, 11:14 PM
All Pro

Default Re:The Redskins Thread

He's also Courtney Brown's cousin....
Old 18.03.2005, 10:13 AM
All Pro

What is the situation with the possible signing of Courtney Brown?
Old 18.03.2005, 12:16 PM
MVP

Send a message via MSN to PaddyRamsey

Our meeting with him went really well apparently. Fortunately Gibbs doesn't seem to want to dive straight in and get his name down on a contract as soon as possible. He's being very logical about it and I suppose he'll be spending the forthcoming time discussing whether we really want to take this risk or not. I'd guess that by the positiveness coming from him, Brown is probably willing to accept less cash.
Old 22.03.2005, 04:10 PM
All Pro

Brown's obviously keeping his options open by visiting the Jags and is also due to visit the seahawks I think. Both these teams are waaaay under the cap so could afford more guaranteed money but is he worth that kind of risk. We can't afford the gamble....can they?
Old 22.03.2005, 06:25 PM
MVP

Just look at his record of seasons in the NFL/seasons on IR.

Way too big a risk for any team if you ask me.
Old 22.03.2005, 07:39 PM
All Pro

Right, this is my first in a series of post scouting people who are likely to be in contention when the Redskins are on the clock at #9 in the NFL Draft. I am doing this because I am a bit sad; a fact I wholly recognise

No.1: Carlos Rogers, CB, Auburn

Now, I must admit I know significantly less about this guy than I do about Antrel Rolle or Adam 'Pac-Man' Jones, but he's rising up the boards and Draftshowcase.com have us taking him at #9 in their mock.

The biggest reason for his rise is a blazing 4.31 dash at the Combine. Nice. He's also a good size to go with that speed - 6'1 and 191 lbs. However, scouting reports say he's best in zone coverage - last season our CBs seemed to be playing a more aggressive man-to-man scheme last year, leaving Sean Taylor free to roam the backfield and make big hits.

Super Santana, I know you're not wild about us taking a corner as you have faith in Walt Harris and have faith in the system. I see your point but I'm not convinced we'd pass up on one of the three top corners - especially if the best WRs are off the board. This guy seems okay, I like Pac-Man though.

Thoughts?
Old 22.03.2005, 09:34 PM
MVP

I may have faith but let's face the facts, do we really want to draft a WR anyway? Even if we lose Gardner (which seems wholly likely at this point), WR is still not a desperate need.

I like Walt Harris very much, but if the opportunity comes to take a standout CB I wouldn't turn him down... however... if I had it my way I'd want us to upgrade the D-line with a stud DE. It's our main weakness and would really turn us into an all-round defensive unit if we could upgrade it another notch.

Still, BPA and all that.
Old 22.03.2005, 09:40 PM
All Pro

[quote author=Super Santana link=board=1;threadid=9195;start=15#msg191846 date=1111527254]
do we really want to draft a WR anyway?[/quote]

The Santana Moss deal is growing on me all the time, because at the end of the day the guy has speed. He's an impact player and it's hard not to like him.

David Patten is the one I'm slightly more concerned about Don't get me wrong I think he's good, but he played in a NE offense where spreading the ball around was the name of the game. He was, IMO, a good part of a good rotation. That's different from being a definite number 2.

On the other hand, if the likes of Taylor Jacobs step up and give us that "unit" at WR then Patten (and the team) could really flourish.

Cooley and Royal are developing into nice pass-catching threats, which certainly helps. I like 'em both.

Bottom line is I wish we hadn't pooped away our 2nd rounder on Mark ruddy Brunell! > :-X Then guys like Chris Henry, maybe even Jerome Mathis would have been available for us in the 2nd and we could look for a quality DE or CB in the first. Ho hum.

~Edit~ Hindsight: great innit? 8)
Old 22.03.2005, 09:50 PM
All Pro

By the way, we have re-signed linebacker Chris Clemons.

I liked him alot in what I saw last year; very glad to have him back. I think he could be a breakout guy in Williams' system. Not as good as Antonio, granted, but I think he'll have a strong year in 2005.
Old 22.03.2005, 11:27 PM
MVP

I agree, that's great news for us. I reckon Clemons may have a break out year too, he and Lemar Marshall are both extremely talented players.