Great Player for the Fins 15 93.75%
Not a great player 1 6.25%
Journey Man has played for 3 teams 0 0%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.01.2012, 07:28 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypergeek View Post
Its the Hall of Fame, not the Hall of Really Good.

I think JT is amazing, but I don't think he had that Reggie White / Bruce Smith edge.

If Cris Carter can't buy a bust then I don't think JT has a hope.
Yeah, but although not there yet, I think there is little doubt that Carter will get in eventually... it's just a matter of time, but he will get there.

It could be a similiar story for JT, where he has to play a waiting game for a few years... but he's got a great chance no doubt. I think you're selling Taylor a bit short. Perhaps he's not on a level with Reggie White or Bruce Smith, but he is on a tier just below those guys with other guys who are already in the Hall of Fame like Richard Dent (another guy who had to play a waiting game for a few years before finally making it).

By the way... JT is ahead of Richard Dent in virtually all statistical categories. He also has more pro bowls than Dent, more first team all pros than Dent. Dent has a Super Bowl MVP (that JT obviously doesn't have).... but JT has a defensive player of the year award that Dent doesn't.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced JT will make it to Canton some day. If Dent can make it... there is no reason at all to think JT won't.

Last edited by Cornishman32; 04.01.2012 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05.01.2012, 10:21 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cornishman32 View Post
Yeah, but although not there yet, I think there is little doubt that Carter will get in eventually... it's just a matter of time, but he will get there.

It could be a similiar story for JT, where he has to play a waiting game for a few years... but he's got a great chance no doubt. I think you're selling Taylor a bit short. Perhaps he's not on a level with Reggie White or Bruce Smith, but he is on a tier just below those guys with other guys who are already in the Hall of Fame like Richard Dent (another guy who had to play a waiting game for a few years before finally making it).

By the way... JT is ahead of Richard Dent in virtually all statistical categories. He also has more pro bowls than Dent, more first team all pros than Dent. Dent has a Super Bowl MVP (that JT obviously doesn't have).... but JT has a defensive player of the year award that Dent doesn't.

Actually the more I think about it, the more I'm convinced JT will make it to Canton some day. If Dent can make it... there is no reason at all to think JT won't.
My only issue with the "get in eventually" line is that there will always be more players retiring each year and no doubt the stats will keep going up.

The voters seem to think a ring is almost required, the likes of Marino were so clearly miles ahead of everyone else they got in.

I don't doubt JT's stats are stunning, I love the chap and how he plays the game.

I hope he gets in, but look at some of the players still not in from the purple people eaters and... is he really better than them?
Old 05.01.2012, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypergeek View Post
My only issue with the "get in eventually" line is that there will always be more players retiring each year and no doubt the stats will keep going up.

The voters seem to think a ring is almost required, the likes of Marino were so clearly miles ahead of everyone else they got in.

I don't doubt JT's stats are stunning, I love the chap and how he plays the game.

I hope he gets in, but look at some of the players still not in from the purple people eaters and... is he really better than them?
Two of the four Purple People Eaters - Carl Eller and Alan Page are already in the Hall of Fame. Jim Marshall certainly has a case that can be argued that he should be in the Hall of Fame, but there is no reason to think JT is not up with them. A different era, but he is among the best DEs from his era. JT doesn't have a Super Bowl ring... but neither do tons of players already in Canton. It's a factor.... but I don't think it's a huge factor TBH. Not as big a factor as people make out anyway.

Yes, guys are retiring every year... but how often does a HoF calibre player retire? Perhaps on average, a couple per year? They induct up to 6 per year (although of course that includes seniors who are past their eligibility and non-players).... but it shouldn't have a negative effect on JT's chances.... not unless we get a sudden influx of HoF calibre players over the next decade or so. And even then, the voters make an allowance for how the game evolves over different eras... and the inflated stats that seem to come with the modern game.

Perhaps he'll get in... perhaps he won't. Whatever happens, there is no doubt he has got a great chance. For my money, he will some day make it.