Formula One thread (2013 season onwards) - Page 51 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 11.09.2014, 07:19 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksgtmason View Post
He is close to ruining f1 because he keeps chasing the money.

If bernie had his way he would have monza silverstone and probably montreal gone immediately.

Thankfully he will be 97 when silverstone has to renegotiate its contract.
I wonder who will replace him when he goes.
Old 11.09.2014, 07:28 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartmoor Falcon View Post
I wonder who will replace him when he goes.
I wouldnt hold your breath on it though. Its not a case of just a hiring and firing of him as boss of F1. He is the CEO of the parent company that runs F1. So he will have to step down/sell his shares etc, cant see that happening any time soon.
Old 11.09.2014, 01:11 PM
MVP

I would imagine Bernie is probably planning to keep going in F1 until the Grim Reaper claims him. He's looking in quite good nick for a man of 83, and he could well carry on for at least as long as the Duck of Edinburgh (93).
Old 21.09.2014, 02:58 PM
MVP

Lewis Hamilton got his winner's trophy from the deputy prime minister. How much of a thrill was that -- meeting Singapore's version of Calamity Clegg?
Old 04.10.2014, 08:02 AM
MVP

So the driver merry go round starts in earnest...

Vettel to move from Red Bull to Ferrari as Alonso moves on it seems too, possibly to McClaren.

Where to for Button after this? Not sure I can see him driving for a team scrapping for the minor grid places.
Old 04.10.2014, 03:19 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
So the driver merry go round starts in earnest...

Vettel to move from Red Bull to Ferrari as Alonso moves on it seems too, possibly to McClaren.

Where to for Button after this? Not sure I can see him driving for a team scrapping for the minor grid places.
I think graceful retirement is looking like Jenson's only option.
Old 04.10.2014, 03:37 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by JensonF View Post
I think graceful retirement is looking like Jenson's only option.
Yeah, can't see him wanting to move to a lower team and McLaren don't look to keen on keeping him, I could see him ending up either in Indycar or Sports Car racing.
Old 04.10.2014, 08:01 PM
Super Moderator

I have my steel hat on for this one, but Button IMO should be immensely thankful for the last few years of his career.

When Honda pulled out, he was essentially on the brink of the scrapheap. A driver who had never fully lived up to his potential.

Brawn got the deal done, used the (superb) modified Honda cars that were looking like wasted metal, and JB was able to waltz to a (deserved) championship.

Without Brawn, I'm not sure JB would have stayed in F1. Nobody was headhunting him back then.
Old 04.10.2014, 11:51 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post
I have my steel hat on for this one, but Button IMO should be immensely thankful for the last few years of his career.

When Honda pulled out, he was essentially on the brink of the scrapheap. A driver who had never fully lived up to his potential.

Brawn got the deal done, used the (superb) modified Honda cars that were looking like wasted metal, and JB was able to waltz to a (deserved) championship.

Without Brawn, I'm not sure JB would have stayed in F1. Nobody was headhunting him back then.
I know where you are coming from, but I'll back Button on this one. He was a very promising driver and then went to BAR and was meant to go back to Williams. It ended with him staying at BAR.

BAR challenged, but never had the money to keep up through the year (the one year they did iirc was the year Schumacher and the Ferrari were insane), I think Button had a couple of high championship finishes (just looked, 3rd and a 6th as well as a 9th with 4 races DQ/non starter).

BAR then fell away and with the new rules coming up they started focusing on those (about two years previous) and as a result had shocking cars.

Button had the option at one point to move to a challenging team due to his previous performance and ability to get the best out of a very bad car (equivalent to taking this year's Sauber to the edge of the points fairly consistently, while his team mate was fighting with backmarkers), but chose to stay with BAR/Honda due to the focus of the previous years and the previous issue with Williams.

Honda then pulled out due to money and the two years worth of design etc for the new rules was going to be wasted. Ross Brawn put him money in, didn't have the money to keep developing which is why the Red Bull and McLaren caught up at the end of the year, but Button won his (as you say, deserved) title. He obviously then moved on, Brawn for all intents and purposes dissappeared and Mercedes was a new team.

Now I don't think he is the fastest racer in the pack, but he is a good driver and he has some brilliant drives (the win in Canada a couple of years ago, the best imo).I think he deserved the chance to race for a title challenging team, but he showed he wasn't quite there as a driver. He can race a well set up car very very well, but he can't drag a car higher than it should be, like Hamilton and Alonso can (a fault I find in Vettel as well imo). I don't think he'll get a drive with a challenging for the title team, but he would/has been a good 2nd driver at one imo. I think he'll either retire or he'll move to somewhere like Williams for a couple of years.

Last edited by jai13; 04.10.2014 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05.10.2014, 06:11 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by HSTDriver View Post

Spot on.

A decent driver but never in the same conversation with the likes of Hamilton, Alonso and Vettel.