Okay let's talk about Tony Romo - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Dallas Cowboys

Old 10.10.2011, 03:15 PM
Team Captain

Default Okay let's talk about Tony Romo

This topic is actually a week out of date but I couldn't see another thread where it was being discussed.

Last week Romo probably lost the 'boys the game and the Inside The Huddle Podcast touched on the Good Romo/Bad Romo debate and how polarizing he is. Over the last week I've seen a lot of fans putting the boot in but that's nothing new - the thing that got my attention was hearing that apparently some Cowboys fans are talking about rebuilding and maybe drafting a new QB. I'm sure that's a small minority but are there any Dallas fans on here who are starting to think that maybe Romo isn't your guy?

I've only been following the game a few years and when I first became a fan the way the pundits talked about Romo I figured he was up there with Tom and Peyton. Having watched for a few seasons now I see that isn't the case but the hyperbole has also died away somewhat and I'm seeing more and more fans saying "this guy will never win a Super Bowl".

Romo's not up there with Rodgers, Brady and Manning but I still class him as being not too far behind. Other than those three there's maybe only Drew Brees that I'd pick ahead of Tony Romo. I'd still take Romo ahead of the likes of Eli, Flacco and Rivers

Anyone disagree?
Old 10.10.2011, 03:44 PM
Team Captain

its the inconsistency that annoys most. he is the nfl's answer to jekyll and hyde. we never know which romo we are going to get. when he is good there isn't many in the league that are better but then he goes and has a shocker the following week.

there is obviously no one else anywhere near his quality who is a free agent so whether we love him or hate him he is the only guy we have. i do think for the 2013 season we should look at a qb draft, romo isn't getting any younger
Old 10.10.2011, 03:49 PM
All Pro

Up until the Lions game i was 110% behind Romo and to a certain extent i still am. I'm not adverse to spending a high pick on a QB to push or replace Romo, in fact i think it'd be a great idea.
Old 10.10.2011, 08:00 PM
Pro

I think Romo is definitely a top 10 QB and part of his inconsistency over the last year or so can probably be put down to the O-line and problems establishing a strong running game. The polarised press reports would not exist if he wasn't playing for one of the "big market" teams. To a degree the headlines are just lazy journalism - it is easy to blame the QB (especially when he is turning the ball over!) rather than look more deeply at the reasons that things are happening.

With regards to drafting a QB... Kitna is decent back-up but clearly not a long term replacement and to be honest, I don't have a firm opinion about McGee's long term viability. There are some very good QB's at college level at the moment and if a deal whereby one of the better QB's could be acquired fell into Jerry Jones' lap then of course he should take it to start working on a post-Romo future whenever that may be. That said, I don't see a pressing need to replace Romo and the sensible option is to get behind him for the next few years and concentrate on the O-line and secondary.

Don't forget it is Jason Garrett's first full year in charge, Rob Ryan is new to the team and there was a restricted pre-season. Under these circumstances blaming everything on Romo can only be a knee jerk reaction. Give all of these components a chance to come together before making a firm judgement.
Old 10.10.2011, 08:16 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkinho View Post
I think Romo is definitely a top 10 QB and part of his inconsistency over the last year or so can probably be put down to the O-line and problems establishing a strong running game. The polarised press reports would not exist if he wasn't playing for one of the "big market" teams. To a degree the headlines are just lazy journalism - it is easy to blame the QB (especially when he is turning the ball over!) rather than look more deeply at the reasons that things are happening.

With regards to drafting a QB... Kitna is decent back-up but clearly not a long term replacement and to be honest, I don't have a firm opinion about McGee's long term viability. There are some very good QB's at college level at the moment and if a deal whereby one of the better QB's could be acquired fell into Jerry Jones' lap then of course he should take it to start working on a post-Romo future whenever that may be. That said, I don't see a pressing need to replace Romo and the sensible option is to get behind him for the next few years and concentrate on the O-line and secondary.

Don't forget it is Jason Garrett's first full year in charge, Rob Ryan is new to the team and there was a restricted pre-season. Under these circumstances blaming everything on Romo can only be a knee jerk reaction. Give all of these components a chance to come together before making a firm judgement.
Great post. I pretty much agree with all of it.

With regard the picking a QB theory, just have to look at the Eagles or the Packers when they had Favre. Having a franchise QB shouldn't be a reason not to spend a high draft pick on one as you can get great value for them down the line. If we draft one and Romo improves then you have an extremely nice headache and possible trade gold................................Its a shame our GM doesn't think like this, even though he is quite prepared to mortgage the house on a average WR.
Old 10.10.2011, 08:55 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman_8 View Post
Its a shame our GM doesn't think like this, even though he is quite prepared to mortgage the house on a average WR.
Well, Jerry Jones is of course the other great contoversial character that the Cowboys have. I dont disagree with the oft-heard argument that he should probably concentrate on being an owner and hire a "proper" GM but lets give him a little love - he spends a fortune and his main crime is that he cares too much.
Old 10.10.2011, 09:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkinho View Post
Well, Jerry Jones is of course the other great contoversial character that the Cowboys have. I dont disagree with the oft-heard argument that he should probably concentrate on being an owner and hire a "proper" GM but lets give him a little love - he spends a fortune and his main crime is that he cares too much.
I'd agree with that. I just can't forgive Jerry for the Roy Williams trade. Especially when i look at the pathetic draft he conducted with the picks we did have that year. Brewster over Mike Wallace
Old 10.10.2011, 09:40 PM
Banned

Oh for feck sake, another Romo thread. And a stink pack fan starts up a thread in another teams forum section, what a bloody shock. Please for the love of sanity, enough with the Romo stuff. I am sick of it now and so are most of the Cowboy fans. We just want to move on and look forward to the day we get a solid QB. When pigs fly i suppose.

Last edited by No Mo Romo; 10.10.2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 10.10.2011, 10:42 PM
Hall of Fame

Romo is great for entertainment, Favre like in that he keeps both teams in the game.

Only one dope on this forum thinks Romo is the worst QB alive.
Old 11.10.2011, 02:32 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Titletown USA View Post
Romo is great for entertainment, Favre like in that he keeps both teams in the game.

Only one dope on this forum thinks Romo is the worst QB alive.
well said my friend. i do not like romo but i would rather have him than cam newton of jay cutler. maybe if we did draft high for a qb that may give romo a kick up the backside and make him play better.
btw, it is a valid thread and don't feel that you can't post in the cowboys section.