new to nfl need a team.. - Page 11 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Old 07.08.2014, 01:59 PM
Pro

Best thing about that pirate ship? The scary-loud cannon(s): -

(hopefully that works - should be an animated gif)
Old 07.08.2014, 01:59 PM
Pro

Again, not biased, but I vote Giants! When were bad, we're horrendous, but when good, we seem to win Superbowls! I only got into the NFL after the first Wembley game, like many here, i looked a little deeper into the teams before commiting. Ultimately, NY is the place i dreamed of visiting all my life, so that narrowed it to 3. My beloved Blackburn Rovers play in blue and white, which directed me more towards Big Blue. Also, JEST kinda sucked. Again like many, I didnt want a team that were guarenteed success, but at the same time didnt want a team who were going to get spanked every week. Winning the Superbowl that year, and defeating the 18-0 Pats, showed me i choose correctly!
Old 10.08.2014, 10:01 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kymie View Post
Welcome to the family :-) Check out beardownuk.com - great website and forums, chat room on gamedays, recognised by the Bears, well worth a look!
Cheers. Looking forward to the season and a run at the superbowl.
Old 11.08.2014, 04:30 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali Langford View Post
Cutler and Allen jerseys pre ordered. I'm a Bear.
Good choice. Great team and their UK fan base is also superb... Nearly as superb as Bucs UK I hope you enjoy the up coming season even more now you're a Bear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
I think so, although not sure if this is during a game or not!

Not during games unfortunately. I've been on it during a stadium tour though, pretty darn cool.
Old 11.08.2014, 04:34 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by roversgiant23 View Post
Again, not biased, but I vote Giants! When were bad, we're horrendous, but when good, we seem to win Superbowls! I only got into the NFL after the first Wembley game, like many here, i looked a little deeper into the teams before commiting. Ultimately, NY is the place i dreamed of visiting all my life, so that narrowed it to 3. My beloved Blackburn Rovers play in blue and white, which directed me more towards Big Blue. Also, JEST kinda sucked. Again like many, I didnt want a team that were guarenteed success, but at the same time didnt want a team who were going to get spanked every week. Winning the Superbowl that year, and defeating the 18-0 Pats, showed me i choose correctly!
Similar to the Bucs. We've only been good once though!!...
Old 12.08.2014, 07:45 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
Similar to the Bucs. We've only been good once though!!...
And the Jags. We were good 1995-1999, one Play Off win since then.
Old 16.08.2014, 08:19 PM
Pro

Do not worry too much about the form of your team, any of the teams have a chance of building and going on to the super bowl, well its not as rigid as soccer, with the same teams competing at the top. Take your time, look into the history of the Team, learn what their style is, and watch fits with you!

But most of all have fun, if you can be patient and wait for a team to build, then do so, if not, find out who is up there at the moment and go for it
Old 20.08.2014, 09:47 AM
Team Captain

Hi all

I've been following NFL ever since the early Channel 4 days but, in all those years, I have been unable to find a lasting attachment to a single team. I have, however, managed to find a life long dislike of some teams (Giants, Bears, Redskins, 49ers, cowboys and Steelers). I don't know why, but I just don't like any of those teams - never have and probably never will.

As for favourites, I find myself flitting between teams based on particular players I like to watch or teams style of play etc, but as they change personnel or style then I migrate to new teams. This is not a problem I have with "Soccer", I have been a one team guy for all of my years (and there have been many!). But then, for that I have a connection. I lived nearby and so could get an attachment. For gridiron, its different. Yes, I've visited the States but I've never lived there. Never got that affiinity with an area that I need.

I'm probably a hopeless case. If I haven't found a team by now then I probably never will (Unless we get a UK franchise - but that's a different thread). I'm going to watch the Falcons and Lions in October so maybe I'll manage to pin my flag to the Lions - the perennial underachievers. But I'm probably feted to live my days drifting from team to team changing allegiances like a Primary School child switches soccer teams.
Old 20.08.2014, 10:23 AM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgmeister View Post
Hi all

I've been following NFL ever since the early Channel 4 days but, in all those years, I have been unable to find a lasting attachment to a single team. I have, however, managed to find a life long dislike of some teams (Giants, Bears, Redskins, 49ers, cowboys and Steelers). I don't know why, but I just don't like any of those teams - never have and probably never will.

As for favourites, I find myself flitting between teams based on particular players I like to watch or teams style of play etc, but as they change personnel or style then I migrate to new teams. This is not a problem I have with "Soccer", I have been a one team guy for all of my years (and there have been many!). But then, for that I have a connection. I lived nearby and so could get an attachment. For gridiron, its different. Yes, I've visited the States but I've never lived there. Never got that affiinity with an area that I need.

I'm probably a hopeless case. If I haven't found a team by now then I probably never will (Unless we get a UK franchise - but that's a different thread). I'm going to watch the Falcons and Lions in October so maybe I'll manage to pin my flag to the Lions - the perennial underachievers. But I'm probably feted to live my days drifting from team to team changing allegiances like a Primary School child switches soccer teams.
By the sounds of it you don't like historically successful teams going off the list you gave. I think if you have watched the NFL for all these years and have not found a team, but you tend to like players or styles, then as you said yourself it might be very hard to choose a team and stick with them.

I've said in the past on here, the more time you invest in a particular team, and the more you learn about them, the more likely you are to stand by them. That may sound like stating the obvious, but the more knowledge you have on one particular team, the more comfortable you will feel following them.

You need a team you can 'grow' with. Someone who has an aging QB not far from being replaced, an unsettled QB situation, or a rookie QB who you know a bit about and like.

Others might not agree, but the Saints could be an option. You will have success over next few years (even though you might not be a fan of too much of that), Brees should be fine for 3 more years, but then in the not too distant future the rebuild will start. At the other end of the scale, but maybe the Texans too, their QB situation is far from settled. Watt and Clowney will give you a great D for years to come.

The only other thing is the whole 'blue collar' thing. Personally the northern, cold weather, industrial city teams have more of an appeal. Then again, that might just be me.

Good luck in your search anyway.
Old 20.08.2014, 11:41 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
By the sounds of it you don't like historically successful teams going off the list you gave.
I think you've hit the nail on the head with that. That is probably why I don't like those teams, I don't think I like the idea of "Dynasties" in NFL. I haven't gone completely off the NE Pats yet but that's probably more down to liking the maverick style of Belichick.

Maybe the Lions would be ideal for me, no danger of them ever becoming a Dynasty