Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 01.11.2014, 08:58 PM
Starter

You people are spoiling this season with all your negativity
Old 03.11.2014, 09:58 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bracewellno View Post
However that's what good coaches and GM's do, they have schemes in place and select players that fit into those schemes,
I completely agree on this. For me it is the most important thing, to have scheme and players who fit that scheme.

I think this is the bigger issue above any on the defence. As I mentioned before, I see talent as an issue. But talent is relative to what you're being asked to do. For example, I've seen people asking why we don't blitz very often. For me the answer is personnel. Our best corner (Jennings) is a zone guy. The reason we landed him was because he struggles to play man-to-man. Similarly, we don't have guys who are able to take on blockers playing LB. Guys like Briggs, Greene, Williams etc are only going to be effective pass rushers if they are unblocked.

The biggest issue, and it's not really anyones fault I don't think. Is that I'm not sure what we are at the moment. I think Tucker and Emery are trying to put together an Attacking 4-3 in the Denver mould. But right now we have guys who are pure cover-2 players. So we're playing elements of both. We have the weaknesses of a team doing both. When you look at the pickup of Houston, moving McClellin to OLB, drafting Bostic those are moves to generate downhill play. McClellin as your OLB rusher Bostic is a downhill player. Houston can set the edge to allow the push inside, It's a good theory. I'm sure they figured Tillman and co could play man and we'd mix in some zone. Whatever the case, it's not worked.
Old 03.11.2014, 03:15 PM
Starter

What makes the entire scenario even worse is everyone in football knows you need players to fit a system, if you don't have the players then change the system to fit until you can sign/draft the players you want.

We are halfway through the season and we are running a system we don't have the players for but seem unwilling/unable to change the system to fit the players we do have.

I think if we cut out the silly mistakes and play a simple game plan we have the players to win more games than we lose but we always seem to dig ourselves into a hole and then scrap and fight to claw our way back out.
Old 03.11.2014, 03:47 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky QB View Post
What makes the entire scenario even worse is everyone in football knows you need players to fit a system, if you don't have the players then change the system to fit until you can sign/draft the players you want.

We are halfway through the season and we are running a system we don't have the players for but seem unwilling/unable to change the system to fit the players we do have.

I think if we cut out the silly mistakes and play a simple game plan we have the players to win more games than we lose but we always seem to dig ourselves into a hole and then scrap and fight to claw our way back out.
That's true. Although, most teams go through a transitional phase. Especially when you run the Tampa-2 since you tend to have so many under-sized guys. Tampa have never been able to do that, and are going back that way with Lovie. Indy had the #1 pick before making the move and they're still a work in progress.

While that sounds like an excuse, I don't think it is. It's just difficult to make the systemic changes, unless you hit on your draft picks and Free Agent signings. The big misses have been with McClellin and Bostic. The fact that they haven't worked has made us spend more on guys like Williams, Allen or Young (who are good players) and thus taken the focus away from strengthening other areas.

I don't think we're that far away though. If we could get a dominant DT (that's the tough part), a bit of quality at LB and Safety I think the Bears could be a decent defence.

It's also worth keeping in mind that if we can come back firing after the bye and shock Green Bay I don't think this season is write off just yet. It's a long, long shot, but we've seen teams get momentum if a few of the next guys up are better than we've anticipated.
Old 03.11.2014, 07:56 PM
Starter

Agree with that, we've had 2 weeks to put a solid gameplan in place so it will be interesting to see the performance. A win could kickstart a half decent second half to the season but another blowout defeat could be disasterous for this teams future.
Old 04.11.2014, 09:29 AM
Super Moderator

Logic suggests that we'll get soundly beat by Green Bay. On the surface everything points that way. On the road, against a Packer team the are undefeated at home. We've not beaten anyone good. The Bears D is even more banged up without Houston adding to already numerable injuries. We're coming off a blowout defeat against New England and have been exposed by every elite QB we've faced, including Rodgers. I suppose that's why the line is +7.5 for Green Bay.

In a strange way though, it's all of the above that gives me hope. Some hope anyway. It seems like a typical letdown game for the Packers in some respects. Nobody is expecting them to be challenged. Yet it's a divisional match-up. The Bears have had a chance to regroup and prepare with the Bye Week. The Bears really are playing for their season so have no excuse to not be fired up. Not only that, the Bears are not quite as bad, I don't think, as people are saying. We were battered by New England and Miami, but Miami destroyed San Diego and New England did the same to Denver. They're much better teams than we thought. The Packers showed some vulnerability by losing to New Orleans.

I think that things are often closer than they appear in the NFL, so if the Bears were to shock everyone and get a win I wouldn't be that surprised. I still expect the Packers to win, simply because we have such a lack of quality personnel on the defensive side, but I think we have a chance. Which is more than I would have felt a week ago.
Old 04.11.2014, 05:44 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punky QB View Post
we've had 2 weeks to put a solid gameplan in place so it will be interesting to see the performance.
It will define the current coaches ability to game plan and motivate the players. I just feel that all our eggs are in one basket and that's Cutler. I know its not all his fault, however when our team matches the opposition its his mistakes that ultimately cost the team the W. Trestman could help here by giving less for Cutler to think about, allowing roll outs, cutting out those awful cross field screen and not abandoning our run game early.

When I look at him and other top QB's I just get the feeling that Cutler does not move in the same way and does not 'feel' proximity of defenders, he's a bit jumpy. Often I have seen other QB's sense pressure and move, throw away or tuck and run, Cutler to me, does not, never takes a good sack (if you know what I mean) ball always likely to come out!

I fear that even if we play well, Cutler has to be faultless or the other QB has to have a stinker, sometimes against good opposition its a lot to ask for.
Old 07.11.2014, 09:39 AM
Team Captain

I took some time away from football as did the Bears with the bye week and I have to admit I feel no different. Did I want the Bears to make wholesale changes through the BYE week? No. I did however feel Tucker had run his course as DC following the Pat Gate.

The quicker we get Dennis Allen in the better

My heart says if we can sneak something at Green bay then why not? Do we need to see improvements sure as hell we do but the run in if we time our momentum right could be perfect.

My head says give up don’t bother aim for a good draft pick.

What do we need to get better on? Forgetting play off’s just to see a good second half of the season and something to build on.

Offence

Running the football, this will force teams out of their shell of sitting deep and waiting to hawk on balls being forced through coverage.

There is a reason why Matt forte is one of the top receivers; he is our check down guy. It’s good that Jay is using his check down’s and not forcing the ball to B Marsh what it however does mean is defences are screaming dump to forte for a yard before hitting him hard.

Our offensive line apart from Kyle long needs to step up, the pocket has collapsed literally around Jay far too many times, Mills in particular needs to step his game up.

Defence

Defensive rush has to be better, we have to hurry and hit QB'S a lot more. We need QB’S regardless of their ability to not have time to scan the field.

The secondary needs to be tougher, EVERYONE know their jobs, if we are playing man be tough on your man. If we are playing Zone EVERYONE PLAY ZONE.
Get off the field on third down especially third and long
Special Teams

Give us a good enough starting turf, don't force our offence into drives starting from their own 10 yard line!

Penalties need to stop, FULL STOP. They are costing us valuable field turf resulting in drives needing far to many plays from a spluttering offence.
Old 09.11.2014, 09:08 AM
Starter

Sounds like a template for most teams doesn't it - you're right wev've been poor in most areas and only five or six players are ccoming out of this with any credit

Just really worried if the players honestly believe in this season anymore ? After tonight that could be even more difficult to establish

Forte again should have a decent night on the ground and in the air but the secondary are sure to give up plays to Rogers ??
Old 09.11.2014, 10:42 AM
MVP

In short this is why we aren't very good...

Tuckers D schemes.

Trestman's play calling (Nowhere near enough targets for our 3 receiving weapons)

Prospect players just not being coached up - the likes of Shea, Bostic, Greene (Not sure if this on the coaches or the scouts for drafting them)

Lastly we still haven't recovered from the fact we let Lovies D just get old and fall off a cliff , the likes of Url, Peppers, Tillman and Briggs all got old together and the team wasn't pro active enough in replacing them.

Genuinely dreading tonight's game too.