John fox - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 13.01.2015, 09:45 AM
All Pro

Default John fox

Broncos have said tat-ah, be very pleased to see him come our way.
Old 13.01.2015, 09:51 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by payton3434 View Post
Broncos have said tat-ah, be very pleased to see him come our way.
Part of me does, part me of me is skeptical that he couldnt get over the line with all that talent in Denver - granted they were beaten by a very good Seahawks team in the SB last year.

We normally go for 'new blood' though, guys who havent been an NFL HC previously....maybe this time will be different.
Old 13.01.2015, 10:25 AM
All Pro

If ya lucky you get a rookie hc full of bright ideas who understands people management if not it can be very messy. I'm always in two minds about what is best.
Old 13.01.2015, 01:51 PM
Super Moderator

I think his style suits Chicago quite well.

I thought he did a good job in Carolina. Nothing special, but then who is? I'd say that there's maybe only a handful of guys who really coach a team above the talent they work with.

What I do like is that he's conservative on offence. As a fan I don't usually like that, but it's what Chicago need. Running the ball and playing the percentages is how you win in Soldier Field. We have enough talent that you can make big plays without being super aggressive. I think he'd be good for Cutler. Run the ball, hit teams deep on play action. It worked well with Delhomme and Cutler is like a more talented version of Delhomme.

Defensively, I really don't think it matters. It is all about getting a scheme and then finding players. You could put any DC you like in Chicago right now and we'd be degrees of bad.

As for the whole youth vs experience debate... the Bears do usually go with rookie HCs. It's a bit of a crap shoot, and relies on the front office's judgement. I don't know who the candidates are so I can't judge. I would not be shocked if they hire a rookie HC though.

One guy I don't want is Adam Gase. I feel it's hard to see what he did, when you have Peyton Manning, Julius Thomas, etc, etc. I don't like the idea that you judge on wins. It's all about adding value.
Old 13.01.2015, 10:58 PM
Starter

I am split 60/40 on this one, on one hand I think he could be very good for the Bears. A calming, conservative approach if not spectacular but getting us back to just winning games again and maybe even reaching the playoffs.

On the other side, he couldn't get over the line with all that talent in Denver but I suppose he got TO the line even if he didn't get over it.

I think overall I'd be happy for him to come in and steady the ship whilst Pace and co. accumulate some talent over the next 2-3 drafts.
Old 14.01.2015, 01:00 AM
All Pro

I'm not wildly excited by the prospect of John Fox as head coach, but you never know. I suppose he would be a safe pair of hands.

As Olig says, the Bears have historically preferred people who've never been an NFL Head Coach before. I could remember back as far as Ditka, but it turns out every single one has been a rookie except Paddy Driscoll (1956-57) who'd previously been player-coach for the Chicago Cardinals from 1920-22.

Vital information for Pace to bear in mind
Old 14.01.2015, 10:03 AM
Pro

I think as people have said, Fox would be a safe hire.

Rumours on twitter suggest that Kyle Shanahan will be a big part of Fox's interview as his OC.
Old 15.01.2015, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator

Fox isn't exciting, but excitement is massively over-rated in terms of how it pertains to success.

It seems increasingly likely that Fox is going to be the guy given how widespread the reports are circulating.

There are a few things I like about Fox.

His teams rarely have a bad defence. He tends to get quite quick results on that side of the ball too. Even during his final season in Carolina, where they went 2-14 their D was much better than our last season.

The other thing is that he tends to get good co-ordinators. This tells me people like working with him. It's key we get talented people to work with each unit and I think Fox can do that.
Old 15.01.2015, 08:07 PM
Team Captain

I am currently loving life under pace

John fox is exactly the type of head coach we need! Often winning is a habit and like it or not we have lost that habit! John fox knows how to make his team winners he knows why it takes to walk and talk like winners! What it's like to practice like winners!

He isn't a long term guy but he will most certainly leave us in a better situation without a doubt!

I am also liking the coordinators his planning on bringing in! Dennis allen as DC is a top draw choice he will bring multiple fronts and schemes and knows how to make players like lemar houston look top draw!

He was dealt a tough hand in Oakland but as a DC there are few better at taken poor talent and making it better.

Kyle Shannan will be OC and agin will bring a good run offence that in addition to John Fox's attuide of eat clock pound and ground will take the pressure of cutler!

Colour me complelty on board with this
Old 16.01.2015, 04:25 PM
All Pro

nfl.com suggests the hire is very close now.

Management style and who a HC can bring in to assist are the two main factors for me in who you hire. I've said plenty time Smith was a good man to have at the top but we had to get the begging-bowl out every year to find co-ordinators. Hopefully Fox can be that man.