When benched? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 14.03.2015, 04:34 PM
Starter

Default When benched?

Look, don't be offended, I have a real soft-spot for Cutler, for various reasons - he is a typical, old school Bears QB (in my humble opinion) so I'm not being truly awful here but, just for fun...... when does Cutler get benched (or to phrase it another way, when does he get put on the 'naughty step' next season - week 4...5.....6......? or maybe he does not?). Given his contract, if he does not produce the goods, what else can the Bears do?

I'll go for week 6.
Old 16.03.2015, 12:26 PM
Team Captain

I'm going to say that he doesn't!! !

Barring getting injured, Jay will start all 16 regular season games.
Old 16.03.2015, 12:28 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by britbear View Post
I'm going to say that he doesn't!! !

Barring getting injured, Jay will start all 16 regular season games.
I agree. He'll be on a strict shorter leash to keep the brain farts to a minimum.
Old 16.03.2015, 10:03 PM
Starter

Jay....brain-farts?.... really....?

Nah, the 'tight-leash' will become a choke-lead around week 4 - and just watch, he'll appear on an episode of the 'Dog Whisperer' (let that idea run amok in your heads for a moment....... - 'shh, don't throw the ball Jay, be calm and submissive to the OC, good boy, think before you throw...watch what the D is doing, double coverage!, not a good idea!...IMAGINE Brandon running down the side-line......yes,...... throw.... touch-down, yes......).

Sorry, my imagination getting away with me too.....love you Jay!
Old 18.03.2015, 01:19 PM
Super Moderator

I don't see him being benched.

I've said this until I am blue in the face, but Cutler is the least of our problems. He had a poor season last year, but strangely posted his best passer rating in his time in Chicago. He's not perfect, by any means, and doesn't live up to his deal. But those are fundamentally different criteria to whether he is the starter in Chicago.

On a league wide basis he'd start for more teams that he would not, never mind when it's only Cutler vs Jimmy Clausen. Cutler, even playing terribly is better than Clausen - period. So you start the best guy.
Old 18.03.2015, 03:45 PM
Team Captain

Clausen isn’t as bad as people make out. He has talent and a good accuracy. If he can get his head right and become a student of the game he can progress further than people think.

Back to cutler...every Chicago Bear's fans favourite topic. If you take the ball out of his hands and have a run heavy offense and get a good speed threat to lift the lid on defences then Jay Cutler will bloom.

Force the ball into his hands 800 times every game like last year his going to be throwing interceptions like santa chucks out candy canes.
Old 19.03.2015, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearsfanathalashall View Post
Clausen isn’t as bad as people make out. He has talent and a good accuracy. If he can get his head right and become a student of the game he can progress further than people think.
I'm curious to know what makes you say that?

I thought Clausen was over-hyped in college. Did well against extremely inferior opposition.

That then translated into his tenure with Carolina, where he was really, really bad.

I can't see any reason to revise that opinion since he's not played enough since.

Clausen has decent touch and accuracy. But I've not seen any evidence he has the mental capabilities to make multiple reads. He tends to look down one receiver. Lots of QBs do, but he's got a game manager arm - and so needs to be able to read the defence to overcome that.