3-4 entering Bye Week - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Rams

Old 28.10.2016, 01:11 PM
Pro

Default 3-4 entering Bye Week

Hi Rams,

Lets have it out as we have a week off.
Whats going wrong, who is to blame, who is underperforming and who's if anyone is out performing expectations.

How do we think we will finish with the following fixtures:

Panthers (1-5) - H
Jets (2-5) - A
Dolphins (3-4) - H
Saints (2-4) - A
Patriots (6-1) - A
Falcons (4-3) - H
Seahawks (4-1) - A
49ers (1-6) - H
Cardinals (3-3) - H
Old 28.10.2016, 01:47 PM
Pro

ok lets see:

Panthers (1-5) - H - lose
Jets (2-5) - A - lose
Dolphins (3-4) - H - win
Saints (2-4) - A - win
Patriots (6-1) - A - lose
Falcons (4-3) - H - lose
Seahawks (4-1) - A - lose
49ers (1-6) - H - win
Cardinals (3-3) - H - lose

the jets and saints games are close so I've gone with winning one and losing the other. takes us to 6-10 which would be a poor season and seeing us going backwards.

there are quite a few problems really.

on game day it's all about offence. Our only threat is Gurley so teams stack the box, our O line can't cope and we don't get a run game going. Keenum is too error prone and gives too many turnovers, and when he does hit a receiver it's 50/50 whether the balls caught or not.

We had a awful draft and didn't improve the team anywhere. Whats more worrying is we've probably given away too many draft picks so even if Goff it the next Brady we'll struggle to give him enough weapons now over the next 2 years.

We are lucky we currently have a good defence and Greg Williams to push us into the not quite cleveland category of teams. I don't trust Fisher or any of the scouting team to see us improve from this.
Old 11.11.2016, 10:06 PM
Starter

Totally agree. I've given Keenum the benefit of the doubt, but he's clearly not up to being a starting QB. If Goff is as far off as Chris Collingsworth suggests (although what he'd know I'm not entirely sure) we should let Mannion have a go.

I don't think the draft was awful, but Fisher doesn't use rookies so any draft is developmental. Cooper and Higbee have been forgotten down the depth chart and all other rookies have vanished. Spruce showed decent hands in the pre-season, got injured and they kept him on, taking up a roster spot.

Fisher needs to go. Give the job to either Williams and get Norv Turner in to run the offence or give it to Turner and keep Williams to run the D. Alternatively, give to to anyone bar Fisher. I like the thought of Kyle Shannahan as a young coach.
Old 15.12.2016, 11:45 AM
Rookie

Default Fisher gone

Well now that Fisher has gone, I do think that it is important that Snead goes too otherwise we will not attract a top coach in my opinion.
Old 15.12.2016, 08:54 PM
Starter

Not sure about Snead as I don't believe the mess is his fault. One of the conditions of Fisher taking the job over the 'Phins was that he had overall control and the GM (that he appointed) was under his control. Snead has pulled off some good trades - the RG3 trade and even trading up to get Goff (I think we could have given even more). How much influence did Snead have?

Its a tough one. We're getting a new coach. Is a new GM at the same time a wise idea?
Old 16.12.2016, 03:41 PM
All Pro

All depends on how much control he had, but the front office has made more head scratching moves than good ones imo. Look at the contracts that we've given out recently, look at the draft picks that have struggled to do anything consistently positive. The RG3 trade was fantastic for this roster, and most people consider it a huge win for the Rams, and yet look where we are right now.

This team is in a really, really bad spot, and the Goff trade is going to make it really hard to overcome quickly, so we might suck for a year or two more. We could feasibly end the year with a 1-11 record in the last 12 games. That's not a good thing when you only have 1 pick in the first 3 rounds of the upcoming draft, and already have an offense so bereft of talent.

It's going to require Goff to make massive strides over the next 6-8 months or a very creative coach to make this offense viable. That's the thing that's so sad about this situation, we haven't needed a good offense over the last couple of years, just competent and they haven't managed that.
Old 18.12.2016, 03:14 PM
Starter

I do agree, but I question what autonomy Snead actually had. I suspect he was doing what Fisher told him to do. As for the draft pick, I do think a lot is made of poor drafts. Every team has good and bad drafts and, to be fair, we hit on Donald, Brockers, Ogletree, Austin (IMO), Jenkins, Johnson, Gains, Gurley, Mason, Havenstein and others. Missed on Robinson, Quick and others. Robinson was universally liked at the time, as was Goff (jury out there). Other rookies (Cooper, Thomas, Higbee) were pretty much ignored (judging by the drop on Thursday, Thomas rightly!)

Biggest question, though, is who'll come in? I don't really like McDaniels, I have to say.
Old 23.12.2016, 06:56 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgerboy558 View Post
I do agree, but I question what autonomy Snead actually had. I suspect he was doing what Fisher told him to do.
I'm not sure you can blame the contracts handed out to people on anyone other than Snead and the FO and some of those are utterly ridiculous, including giving Fisher an extension, so I can't imagine Fisher having anything to do with those decisions, because they've been pretty horrible consistently.

I also can't see any argument that Austin was a hit, he would have been a hit as a 7th rounder, or UDFA, but he was #8 overall and his career right now is about as good as a great receiver having 1 great year and I think for the most part you've been really generous with some of the others as well (it's either to early to tell Gurley/Havenstein or they've not played enough Gaines/Mason).

As for the coach, I think we need someone with a decent offensive mind. We need to put Goff in a position to succeed, and the current offense doesn't look like that at all.
Old 26.12.2016, 11:01 AM
Starter

Fair point about the contracts. With Goff, he's had no chance. Drafted first overall and we were told how he was expected to play, then told he was back up. No line, no receivers, no running game. No chance. Same with Austin. We can agree to differ there, but when he gets the ball in space I get excited. He's one of the few players who can, in the right system, score at any time. He's just not had the right system. McDaniels has shown that he can adapt to suit the talent he has - my issue there is his man management skills.

We need to put all our skill players in a position to succeed. Gurley is 155 yards off 1000 yards but has faced 8 + defenders in the box every time he touches the ball. Then, when he starts to get something going, they've tended to abandon the run - even when we were leading (Dolphins game springs to mind).

The players look lost and have since London. Fisher clearly lost them around then, if not before.

As for the coach - we need defense as well. Williams' message has evaporated. They seem to have been coached to hit rather than tackle and they only play for 50 minutes. Personally, I'd like Mike Smith to come in and bring in a good co-coordinator to run the offence. As he did in Atlanta.