Premier League Thread - Page 52 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 09.12.2008, 05:28 PM
MVP

Oh and why are you complaining about 'easy' draws!?

In the end the best team still wins the tournament....thats the nature of any sport.
Old 09.12.2008, 06:14 PM
MVP

A couple of years ago the FA Cup semi finals were Blackburn, Watford, Man Utd, Chelsea. This was to be the first FA Cup Final at the new Wembley. How did the semi-final draw go, yeah go figure. Yeah as if the FA wanted Blackburn or Watford in this prestigous event.

The FA's argument of not wanting either Blackburn/Watford is a fair point but its not in the spirit of the draw to fix it.

One year they had 2 dummy runs on a cup draw. Why? Is it that hard to pull balls out of a bag? They obviously don't have these things truly live and delay coverage to hide their blushes. Im convinced of it.
Old 09.12.2008, 09:00 PM
All Pro

Because you're convinced of it doesn't make it obvious.

If I saw some proof then I'd be inclined to consider the draw was fixed. As it is if you look at things statistically then if you have 2 Premiership and 2 Championship sides then the odds are that the Premiership teams will avoid each other (66.6% to 33.3%) so its not that hard to fathom why it works out.

Your theory is somewhat flawed however when if you look back to the 2004 Cup Final (i think it was 2004) when Arsenal lost to United in the semi's and went on to meet Millwall in the final. Millwall who had beat Sunderland.

Surely if the FA were so intent on rigging draws then they would have kept United and Arsenal apart?
Old 09.12.2008, 09:07 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
Actually the oval spheres opened up like an easter egg and a large piece of paper was pulled from a slit. There was more than enough room for two or three slits in each sphere to accomodate unfolding events.

I suppose the easy draws that Germany and England have got in the past could be down to coincidence and the seeding system, but then that wouldn't explain why the Southern European teams always get difficult ones. However what I am certain of is that Mr Blatter is corrupt and nothing will chance my mind on that.

You are probably a regular joe who will refuse to believe that anything ontoward takes place anywhere in the world, unless it is proved beyond a reasonable doubt or you hear it on the BBC. I think you would refuse to consider that a draw was corrupt even if it was performed by Derren Brown or Paul McKenna, because it makes your life easier to assume that everything is right in the world
The easy draws that England have got? I take you back to 2002 when England had the group of death consistenting of then a then very good Nigerian, Argentian and Swedish team.

I love these conspiracy theories. Anything slightly suspicious even if there's no proof and it must be the work of some evil power.

I think in general too much is made of draws in cup competition. There's this idea that I subscribe to that by and large if you're good enough you're going to have to beat good teams along the line and actually earn the cup - rather then being handed it by an easy draw.
Old 09.12.2008, 09:23 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaled View Post
Because you're convinced of it doesn't make it obvious.

If I saw some proof then I'd be inclined to consider the draw was fixed. As it is if you look at things statistically then if you have 2 Premiership and 2 Championship sides then the odds are that the Premiership teams will avoid each other (66.6% to 33.3%) so its not that hard to fathom why it works out.

Your theory is somewhat flawed however when if you look back to the 2004 Cup Final (i think it was 2004) when Arsenal lost to United in the semi's and went on to meet Millwall in the final. Millwall who had beat Sunderland.

Surely if the FA were so intent on rigging draws then they would have kept United and Arsenal apart?
It seems to occur more often than not, although in that case maybe they messed up the fixing
Old 09.12.2008, 11:25 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Duper View Post
A couple of years ago the FA Cup semi finals were Blackburn, Watford, Man Utd, Chelsea. This was to be the first FA Cup Final at the new Wembley. How did the semi-final draw go, yeah go figure. Yeah as if the FA wanted Blackburn or Watford in this prestigous event.

The FA's argument of not wanting either Blackburn/Watford is a fair point but its not in the spirit of the draw to fix it.

One year they had 2 dummy runs on a cup draw. Why? Is it that hard to pull balls out of a bag? They obviously don't have these things truly live and delay coverage to hide their blushes. Im convinced of it.
But its the nature of sport that these teams have to beat anybody to be deserved winners.
Old 10.12.2008, 01:26 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Duper View Post
It seems to occur more often than not, although in that case maybe they messed up the fixing
Only it doesn't.

I don't know where you're getting your information from in terms of it occuring more often then not but you only need to look at the last 10 FA Cup to be disproved.

There has been one indicent of there 2 EPL and 2 Championship Clubs in the English FA Cup Semi Finals. That was in the previously mentioned 04 year where Sunderland and Millwall were drawn together while Arsenal and Man Utd were drawn in the other semi.

In the last 10 years there have been numerous meetings of big clubs in the semi's while smaller clubs faced each other. How did West Ham get to the final against Liverpool a few years ago. After they beat Boro and Liverpool beat Chelsea. Surely by your logic the FA would have kept Chelsea and Liverpool apart.

Accept the draws as luck or come up with proof, or some statistical evidence to back up what you're saying. As it is now it seems like you're trying to dream up a conspiracy theory just so you have something to talk about.
Old 10.12.2008, 10:19 AM
All Pro

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen5 View Post
i swear some people just love these 'conspiracy theories'....

You are aware that you sound ridiculous right?
As opposed to you, whom I have exposed on various threads as actually being ridiculous?
Old 10.12.2008, 10:29 AM
All Pro

Quote:
The easy draws that England have got? I take you back to 2002 when England had the group of death consistenting of then a then very good Nigerian, Argentian and Swedish team.

I love these conspiracy theories. Anything slightly suspicious even if there's no proof and it must be the work of some evil power.

I think in general too much is made of draws in cup competition. There's this idea that I subscribe to that by and large if you're good enough you're going to have to beat good teams along the line and actually earn the cup - rather then being handed it by an easy draw.
That's the second time the Group draw fom the 2002 World Cup draw as been quoted to me. You all have 42 years to work with, is that all you have got ???

There could have course have been a sub conspiracy. England to beat Argentina with a little assistance from the Men in Black, win the Group (the other two teams perceived as highly average and beatable), and then avoid Argentina or Brazil until the semi final.

Slightly suspicious ? Do you think that the other half of that World Cup in South korea was slightly suspicious ?
Old 10.12.2008, 11:02 AM
MVP

Quote:
Only it doesn't.

I don't know where you're getting your information from in terms of it occuring more often then not but you only need to look at the last 10 FA Cup to be disproved.

There has been one indicent of there 2 EPL and 2 Championship Clubs in the English FA Cup Semi Finals. That was in the previously mentioned 04 year where Sunderland and Millwall were drawn together while Arsenal and Man Utd were drawn in the other semi.

In the last 10 years there have been numerous meetings of big clubs in the semi's while smaller clubs faced each other. How did West Ham get to the final against Liverpool a few years ago. After they beat Boro and Liverpool beat Chelsea. Surely by your logic the FA would have kept Chelsea and Liverpool apart.

Accept the draws as luck or come up with proof, or some statistical evidence to back up what you're saying. As it is now it seems like you're trying to dream up a conspiracy theory just so you have something to talk about.

Im glad you took the time to research it all, I'm impressed. Its all in vain, I still believe I am right. You've mentioned 1 game in the 10 year span. List them all if you want to provide all your damning evidence.