Premier League Thread - Page 53 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 10.12.2008, 11:07 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen5 View Post
But its the nature of sport that these teams have to beat anybody to be deserved winners.
They do but sometimes the path to the gold can be made that little bit more easier.
Old 10.12.2008, 11:35 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Duper View Post
Im glad you took the time to research it all, I'm impressed. Its all in vain, I still believe I am right. You've mentioned 1 game in the 10 year span. List them all if you want to provide all your damning evidence.
Well the point is there is only one instance of 2 football league clubs getting to the semi finals.

And I mentioned another situation where Liverpool and Chelsea met in the semi's while less illustrious opponents met in the other.

Arsenal and United have met in the semi's on at least 2 occasions in the last 10 years (remembering the game with Giggs' wonder goal).

I'd be more interested to see what proof has led you to your belief. I fully expect not to be able to convince you otherwise despite what history suggests, because you want to believe this conspiracy more then you know you should believe it.
Old 10.12.2008, 11:44 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
That's the second time the Group draw fom the 2002 World Cup draw as been quoted to me. You all have 42 years to work with, is that all you have got ???

There could have course have been a sub conspiracy. England to beat Argentina with a little assistance from the Men in Black, win the Group (the other two teams perceived as highly average and beatable), and then avoid Argentina or Brazil until the semi final.

Slightly suspicious ? Do you think that the other half of that World Cup in South korea was slightly suspicious ?
Well in 1990 England drew Holland and Ireland (teams that had beaten them in the Euro's 2 years previously). Holland were widely viewed as one of the best teams there.

In 1998 England drew Colombia who were as shocking as this sounds, viewed as dark horses for the tournament and a very strong Romanian side before England met Argentina in the next round after qualifying. Maybe the refs were on England's side in that one as well as a debatable sending off and disallowed goal went against England.

Granted 2006, the draw went about as much in Englands favour as possible, but the previous world cup's were far from the case. Brazil have had easier draws (Turkey, Costa Rica and China in 02 or Scotland, Costa Rica and one team that escapes me in 1990).

The fact is all the evidence suggests to things evening themselves out over the years. Obviously England, like all the European teams are at a slight advantage because they're more likely to be kept away from other European powers, factored with the seeding system where England were ranked number 1 seeds for the last tournament means they aren't going to face Brazil or Argentina.

You could argue if this is fixing but I'd suggest it preserves the integrity of the tournament by making sure the most deserving teams get through to the latter rounds. And in any case its carried out in an overt manner and its not the point you're getting out.

Just because England don't draw a group with Brazil, France and Cameroon every year doesn't mean its fixed.
Old 10.12.2008, 08:34 PM
MVP

Its just a gut feeling Khaled. Im won't be swayed but I feel it does happen. Maybe on the years where it didn't seem any fixing went on due to the matchups, the teams that year were doing strongly in the Champions League or something.
Old 10.12.2008, 10:49 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Duper View Post
Its just a gut feeling Khaled. Im won't be swayed but I feel it does happen. Maybe on the years where it didn't seem any fixing went on due to the matchups, the teams that year were doing strongly in the Champions League or something.
Clutch at straws much?
Old 11.12.2008, 11:28 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch1 View Post
Clutch at straws much?
You've nothing constructive to add to the discussion then eh?
Old 11.12.2008, 11:36 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khaled View Post
Well in 1990 England drew Holland and Ireland (teams that had beaten them in the Euro's 2 years previously). Holland were widely viewed as one of the best teams there.

In 1998 England drew Colombia who were as shocking as this sounds, viewed as dark horses for the tournament and a very strong Romanian side before England met Argentina in the next round after qualifying. Maybe the refs were on England's side in that one as well as a debatable sending off and disallowed goal went against England.

Granted 2006, the draw went about as much in Englands favour as possible, but the previous world cup's were far from the case. Brazil have had easier draws (Turkey, Costa Rica and China in 02 or Scotland, Costa Rica and one team that escapes me in 1990).

The fact is all the evidence suggests to things evening themselves out over the years. Obviously England, like all the European teams are at a slight advantage because they're more likely to be kept away from other European powers, factored with the seeding system where England were ranked number 1 seeds for the last tournament means they aren't going to face Brazil or Argentina.

You could argue if this is fixing but I'd suggest it preserves the integrity of the tournament by making sure the most deserving teams get through to the latter rounds. And in any case its carried out in an overt manner and its not the point you're getting out.

Just because England don't draw a group with Brazil, France and Cameroon every year doesn't mean its fixed.
Can I ask you again. as you appear to have missed this part previously:

Slightly suspicious ? Do you think that the other half of that World Cup in South korea was slightly suspicious ?

I think this is important to the issue as it questions the creditability of FIFA, who conduct these draws.
Old 11.12.2008, 11:51 AM
MVP

Big Bird i think that draw especially was a fix, South Korea.
Old 11.12.2008, 02:28 PM
Hall of Fame

Once again Kenyon's complete dithering in the transfer market seems to have cost us, a goalscoring defender is just what we needed, seeing as Alex is probably on his way....( not sure about the fee as I am sure he was out of contract)
--
A.C.Milan have signed Brazilian defender Thiago Silva from Fluminense.

Milan beat stiff competition from Inter, Villarreal and Chelsea to win the battle for the 24 year old . Reports suggest the Italians have paid Fluminense around £8.9 Million for the Brazilian international.
Silva was a regular in the Brazilian squad, and played his part (as one of two players over 23) in the Olympic squad that won bronze. in his two seasons at Fluminense he scored 14 goals.

Last edited by vann_mcelroy; 11.12.2008 at 02:33 PM.
Old 11.12.2008, 02:33 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vann_mcelroy View Post
Once again Kenyon's complete dithering in the transfer market seems to have cost us....( not sure about the fee as I am sure he was out of contract)
--
A.C.Milan have signed Brazilian defender Thiago Silva from Fluminense.

Milan beat stiff competition from Inter, Villarreal and Chelsea to win the battle for the 24 year old . Reports suggest the Italians have paid Fluminense around £8.9 Million for the Brazilian international.
Thats not that much for a Brazilian international! no doubt Chelsea will buy him in a couple of years for triple that.