new to nfl need a team.. - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > New to the NFL?

Old 12.05.2014, 02:58 PM
Rookie

Default new to nfl need a team..

Hey everyone . My brother moved to Canada 2 years ago and on his visit back to the UK last week he spent the whole week explaining American football to me and after watching a few games, the super bowel and this year's draft I was soon addicted. My main question is how do you pick a team to support ? I'm not a glory hunter and don't care if they have won a super bowel but I want a well established team, one that supports the younger players of the sport and has more of a future prospect like a super bowel in 5 years time.
Old 12.05.2014, 03:09 PM
Pro Bowler

Teams I like :- Denver, Balt, Pitt, 49ers, Seattle, GB, Det, N.Orl, Philly, Dallas

Teams I find OK!:- Cin, Ind, StL, Bears, NYG, Skins, Buccs

Teams I don't care about(at the moment!!):- KC, SD, Oak, Clev, Car, Tenn, Jax, Hous, Miami, Buff, NYJ, Ariz, Minn

Teams I don't like:- Pats, Falcons
Old 12.05.2014, 04:28 PM
All Pro

Hi Jenni

Sorry why do you have a Rams helmet if you only think their OK?
Old 12.05.2014, 04:45 PM
Rookie

Thanks jenni but I'm looking for a bit more info on teams ie who are up and coming , who has good / future potential with new drafts ect
Old 12.05.2014, 04:58 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by crestidgecko View Post
Thanks jenni but I'm looking for a bit more info on teams ie who are up and coming , who has good / future potential with new drafts ect
As a UK based-fan I'd say the Jacksonville Jaguars are a good team to follow because:

The UK links - playing games in London once a year (as it stands), UnionJax, etc.
Their GM/HC - You can't help but like HC Gus Bradley, he's just so positive, and a good coach to boot. GM Dave Caldwell is a likable guy too. Check out their draft press conferences on jaguars.com.
Their website - I find their coverage of the team and draft to be quite good. They often offer top prospects Pro Day coverage on their site for free, which often hard to find.
Their recent drafts - Top draft picks the last couple of years have given them some good young building blocks for the future. Luke Joeckel (2nd overall pick 2013) is their future LT, Blake Bortles (3rd overall pick 2014) is their future at QB, 2 2nd round picks (Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson) are the future at WR. There defence has a few young pieces too (Jonathon Cyprien, Dwayne Gratz, Aaron Colvin.....).
Established? - One of the 'younger' teams, in the league for about 20 years.

The St Louis Rams are another team loaded with youth. Lots of high draft picks in recent years. Have a very experienced HC in Jeff Fisher, and have been around for years under various names (LA Rams/St Louis Rams).
Old 12.05.2014, 04:59 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver&black View Post
Hi Jenni

Sorry why do you have a Rams helmet if you only think their OK?
Helmets are interchangeable silver&black, for those of us who tend to enjoy the NFL as an overall soap opera, rather than forming real or feigned attachments to franchises being run some 3000-6000 miles away.
Old 12.05.2014, 05:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenni Kohoutova View Post
Helmets are interchangeable silver&black, for those of us who tend to enjoy the NFL as an overall soap opera, rather than forming real or feigned attachments to franchises being run some 3000-6000 miles away.
I'm fully aware of that sorry if you felt in some way challenged or that I was "having a go at you" that was not my intention I was only mildly interested please do not feel the need to answer if you feel threatened in anyway and there was no need to change again to a Baltimore helmet? I would agree I am a NFL fan first and watch lots of games I cannot speak for you or anyone else on here but most people have one maybe two teams they "support" real or feigned more than any others it tends to make it feel a bit more exciting if your routing for your team to win.

I would use the team selector on this site if its still working to pick your team if you are new.
Old 12.05.2014, 05:10 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
As a UK based-fan I'd say the Jacksonville Jaguars are a good team to follow because:

The UK links - playing games in London once a year (as it stands), UnionJax, etc.
Their GM/HC - You can't help but like HC Gus Bradley, he's just so positive, and a good coach to boot. GM Dave Caldwell is a likable guy too. Check out their draft press conferences on jaguars.com.
Their website - I find their coverage of the team and draft to be quite good. They often offer top prospects Pro Day coverage on their site for free, which often hard to find.
Their recent drafts - Top draft picks the last couple of years have given them some good young building blocks for the future. Luke Joeckel (2nd overall pick 2013) is their future LT, Blake Bortles (3rd overall pick 2014) is their future at QB, 2 2nd round picks (Marqise Lee and Allen Robinson) are the future at WR. There defence has a few young pieces too (Jonathon Cyprien, Dwayne Gratz, Aaron Colvin.....).
Established? - One of the 'younger' teams, in the league for about 20 years.

The St Louis Rams are another team loaded with youth. Lots of high draft picks in recent years. Have a very experienced HC in Jeff Fisher, and have been around for years under various names (LA Rams/St Louis Rams).
Richard, you neglected to mention the Jags no5 overall pick in 2012 Justin Blackmon in that sell. Not just a first rounder, we're talking 5th overall here. Let's call a spade a spade. The Jags will be worth watching, when they start to contend for a playoff spot, and that's usually when a team starts winning more games than it's losing. That's not the Jags right now, and it's not going to be the Jags in 2014 or 2015 either, in my opinion.
Old 12.05.2014, 05:22 PM
Pro Bowler

Perhaps Buffalo Bills, i think they're the nearest team to Canada.
Albeit possibly the worse team in nfl.
Young and up and coming would go for Cleveland Browns.
What a team with a top three offence but a bottom three defense Philadelphia Eagles are the team
Old 12.05.2014, 05:34 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver&black View Post
I'm fully aware of that sorry if you felt in some way challenged or that I was "having a go at you" that was not my intention I was only mildly interested please do not feel the need to answer if you feel threatened in anyway and there was no need to change again to a Baltimore helmet? I would agree I am a NFL fan first and watch lots of games I cannot speak for you or anyone else on here but most people have one maybe two teams they "support" real or feigned more than any others it tends to make it feel a bit more exciting if your routing for your team to win.

I would use the team selector on this site if its still working to pick your team if you are new.
No need to apologise, silver&black. I wasn't feeling in any way challenged or threatened by your straightforward question. I'd feel much more challenged, if I felt that I had to form an alliance with the Jags, Titans, Panthers or indeed any other franchise next season, to have a fuller NFL experience! Swallowing the NFL whole, watching the better players and the better teams is the NFL's selling point for me, especially in a league where the status of being a better or worse team is often quite fluid over relatively short time periods.