NO Pre-game show - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > 2019 London Games

Old 03.10.2014, 01:13 PM
Pro Bowler

Talking NO Pre-game show

Okay let me put this to you all.

In the US they don't "do" a pre-game show, and from all the comments over the years about how bad each years choice has been, isn't it about time that we did away with it.

Star Spangled Banner, God save the Queen, Coin Toss, Play ball !!

That gives everyone an extra 15 mins drinking time before KO !
Old 03.10.2014, 02:19 PM
Pro Bowler

But I enjoy moaning about the acts.
Old 03.10.2014, 02:26 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearguy View Post
Okay let me put this to you all.

In the US they don't "do" a pre-game show, and from all the comments over the years about how bad each years choice has been, isn't it about time that we did away with it.

Star Spangled Banner, God save the Queen, Coin Toss, Play ball !!

That gives everyone an extra 15 mins drinking time before KO !
Why don't you just go & have a drink for 15 mins anyway lol You don't have to listen or watch the pre game show, just stay at the bar. Some my sound better half way through your extra 15 minutes of booze lol.

Personally I like the shows, even if its an act that an oldie like me has not heard off, my younger family members seem to know them, its all part of the day & adds to a great family weekend.

Last edited by Bondstarpaul; 03.10.2014 at 02:28 PM.
Old 03.10.2014, 02:34 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bath_BTGOG View Post
But I enjoy moaning about the acts.
Ha ha doesn't everybody !
Old 03.10.2014, 02:37 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bondstarpaul View Post
Why don't you just go & have a drink for 15 mins anyway lol You don't have to listen or watch the pre game show, just stay at the bar. Some my sound better half way through your extra 15 minutes of booze lol.

Personally I like the shows, even if its an act that an oldie like me has not heard off, my younger family members seem to know them, its all part of the day & adds to a great family weekend.
I couldn't manage another 15 minutes of drinking in the CW Restaurants !

But you miss the point - in the U.S. there are NO pre-game shows, and if we (the Brits) are going to progress, then maybe the pre-games will soon cease to be !

And lastly- I could probably match/best you on age, and I certainly haven't heard of most of the bands on stage ! But FinBear (the rock-chick) has so she enjoys them.
Old 03.10.2014, 02:47 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearguy View Post
I couldn't manage another 15 minutes of drinking in the CW Restaurants !

But you miss the point - in the U.S. there are NO pre-game shows, and if we (the Brits) are going to progress, then maybe the pre-games will soon cease to be !

And lastly- I could probably match/best you on age, and I certainly haven't heard of most of the bands on stage ! But FinBear (the rock-chick) has so she enjoys them.
They do a lot of stuff different here compared to US games, for example the tailgates, where in the US people turn & play their own games & barbecue, don't think Wembley will allow that.

I see your point maybe when & if the franchise happens in London then the pre game shows will, might get one for the first home game or a special day IE Thanks Giving in the US sometimes they have an act.

Age wise I'm the big 50 next year and last year it was hard to put down on paper what I was calling ne-yo, but I will try I was pronouncing it anyooo lol. Lost the hip ages ago when it came to music lol
Old 03.10.2014, 03:00 PM
Pro Bowler

FinBear will happily tell you that I was abducted by aliens in the early 70's and cut off from all music !
She knows that I have since been returned, but have had a temporal block placed !

I agree about the American t/gates and stuff, the one at Jax was "almost" because they had burger vans etc close to the stadium, but the real t/gate parties were about 500 yds away.

Tampa was awesome c/park full of pick-ups and suv's all offering us "Bear and Fin" food and drink and chats about being there.
Old 03.10.2014, 05:26 PM
All Pro

Some of the pre-game bands haven't been my cup of Darjeeling, but I really hope they remain part of the London IS experience. Moaning about the acts chosen is just a bit of forum banter. Someone (like me for example) who is into bands like Rush, Led Zeppelin, Silversun Pickups or a host of others, is unlikely to get whipped into a frenzy by Tinie Tempah, but many others will think he's the dog's boz, while thinking a band like Rush are overblown, pompous prog' rock of the worst kind..... you get my drift. You can't please all of the people all of the time...

I keep saying this - Wembley has developed its own vibe, and it ISN'T trying to match a big partisan home crowd game like Seattle at home in Century Link....

We have big events in Trafalgar Sq or Regent Street, associated 'meet the commissioner' type of events, a tailgate area, pre-match bands, BOTH teams having their logo in the endzone, both teams probably feeling like it's a neutral venue, and, most importantly.... the '32 jerseys' aspect.

The bands are part of that, I hope they remain, and the Wembley IS games stand apart as true 'events' and retain the aspect of a 'Superbowl' atmosphere.

A London franchise changes the whole dynamic of course, but that's a discussion for another day / week / month / year / decade / lifetime...
Old 03.10.2014, 06:30 PM
Rookie

Are there any rumors as to the pre show performance?
Old 03.10.2014, 07:25 PM
Starter

I think the whole International Series has supposed to have been an exhibition and it hasn't disappointed so far, I like the pre-game show, it makes the game something special and not just another game.

Personally I thought Def Leppard were pretty good on Sunday, much better than Tinie Tempah last year that is for sure! Half the stadium was actually empty whilst they were on the stage but everyone around us seemed to be enjoying it.