Draft - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Rams

Old 09.04.2016, 10:49 AM
Starter

Default Draft

So it's now under three weeks until the draft. Any thoughts on who will be the first LA draftee since 1994?

Personally, I haven't a clue! I don't think it will be a QB. It's not clear whether one would be available at 15 and I don't think we'll trade up - more likely to move down. Plus, and this is being totally ignored by the mock drafts, we drafted Mannion a year ago to develop. I've heard that Fisher and Snead really like him, so why draft another?

I'd go Hunter Henry, the top TE, after a trade down to pick up more day 2/3 picks. No drops last season, good blocker and we've all seen what a reliable, athletic TE can do (and that certainly wasn't Cook!).
Old 14.04.2016, 01:13 PM
All Pro

Looks like the Rams are going QB.

Given up so much for this though.

Last edited by BeaNo_Sco; 14.04.2016 at 01:19 PM.
Old 16.04.2016, 07:05 PM
Starter

Yea. As usual with the Rams I'm scratching my head a bit. I know we need a QB, but what use would Dan Marino or Joe Montana be on a team with no players who can catch?
Old 17.04.2016, 01:13 PM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgerboy558 View Post
Yea. As usual with the Rams I'm scratching my head a bit. I know we need a QB, but what use would Dan Marino or Joe Montana be on a team with no players who can catch?

I thought exactly the same to be honest, We have Tavon Austin (who needs to improve) and Todd Gurley (who needs to replicate his 2015 form), if we had one or possibly two more quality weapons that would make all the difference.

The cost of jumping into the top spot has cost us a lot and whoever we do pick had better be worth it.

We have a honeymoon period in LA but we do need to start winning if the Kroenke Palace is not going to end up a white elephant.
Old 17.04.2016, 02:59 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burgerboy558 View Post
Chicken or the Egg isn't it.

You could say the Rams O line isn't good enough too.

This is Fisher's 5th draft though:

2012 - 33rd pick on Brian Quick

2013 - 8th pick on Tavin Austin,

2014 - 2nd on Greg Robinson

2015 - 10th on Todd Gurley, 57th on Rob Havenstein.

2016 - Seemingly the 1st on a QB.

They also added Pead, Givens, Bailey, Mason, Brown and Mannion with Day 2 picks.

They might not have worked out but they've certainly tried to build/kick start the Rams offence without drafting a QB high, until now.
Old 18.04.2016, 10:39 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Chicken or the Egg isn't it.

You could say the Rams O line isn't good enough too.

This is Fisher's 5th draft though:

2012 - 33rd pick on Brian Quick

2013 - 8th pick on Tavin Austin,

2014 - 2nd on Greg Robinson

2015 - 10th on Todd Gurley, 57th on Rob Havenstein.

2016 - Seemingly the 1st on a QB.

They also added Pead, Givens, Bailey, Mason, Brown and Mannion with Day 2 picks.

They might not have worked out but they've certainly tried to build/kick start the Rams offence without drafting a QB high, until now.
That'll be because Sam Bradford was already in the house (2010 no.1 pick), yes we know he didn't work out but it took a long time for his injuries to surface and that coupled with his average performances led to his demise in St Louis.

The O line is young and will hopefully improve as they progress together.

Hopefully....
Old 18.04.2016, 12:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger1971 View Post
That'll be because Sam Bradford was already in the house (2010 no.1 pick), yes we know he didn't work out but it took a long time for his injuries to surface and that coupled with his average performances led to his demise in St Louis.

The O line is young and will hopefully improve as they progress together.

Hopefully....
True, I suppose a lot will depend on what you can do with those 4th round picks this year, and also what you can do in Free Agency now you are in L.A. Tax-wise it won't be too enticing, but I'm sure playing in L.A. will make it a favourable destination to some.

The roster you have in place is probably, as shown, 8-8/9-7/7-9. If you are picking in the middle of the round each year then you aren't going to have a shot at the top QB in the draft. Whether it's this year or next it's always going to cost you quite a bit to get the QB of your choosing.
Old 18.04.2016, 01:11 PM
Pro

Been a while but im back.

So they made the jump and it cost a lot in my opinion.

It is obviously by now its going to be a QB, Wentz or Goff.
Most NFL guys are saying Wentz. I do like the look of him but he missed 8 games due to a broken wrist in his senior year, so that runs in line with the trend of Rams picking up broken players.

Hopefully if they go for him he, he has Gurley first year luck of not re injuring.

I was happy to start keenum for one more season and go get some offensive options and re-enforce the secondary.

Alas that aint happening.

But I am positive the OL will be stronger this year with alot of the you guys gaining another years experience.

Maybe Wentz (who most say he should probably sit behind a vet for 1st year) could start starigth away with the luxary of handing it off to gurley alot. But then is that risking breaking our 'reliable' 1 year old toy for the sake of a new 'wait and see' toy.

You never know though, when Fisher and Snead come out and said Keenum is our starter some the beginning of the season maybe they meant it and Wentz is a backup till mid season.
Old 18.04.2016, 01:53 PM
MVP

I don't mind the move. In all honesty would I prefer to be at #15 and have 2 2nd round picks, 1 3rd round pick and a 1st and a 3rd rounder next year, of course I would. However, the bottom line is this franchise is going nowhere with Foles, Mannion or Keenum at QB. We have a new location in a big market and we need to sell tickets and seats and we need to be exciting as well.

We may not have all of the pieces we need but in terms of excitement, if the new QB provides the upgrade that I hope they will then we do have the makings. Gurley will hopefully continue where he left off, Austin is a great offensive weapon that can be used in many ways and will certainly help market the franchise. Then the young O-line will be a season more experienced, they will have past experiences to build on and have built up a years worth of knowledge together. Robinson, Havenstein, Brown, we just need them to make the step as they say.

If we go 7-9 playing exciting stuff, we will get the fans back, if we go 7-9 because our QB couldn't get the job done then the crowd will become bored very quickly.

Finally, a rookie QB gives the franchise time. Even if he does not set the place alight then then it won't be panic stations with a rookie QB. People will give him time, regardless of his price.
Old 18.04.2016, 02:36 PM
Pro

I think Wentz is the better choice, he is a big running QB who has a good arm.

If your a defender lined up against the Rams offensive with the possibility at snap either Wentz, Gurley or Austin running with it in one play, thats a head ache.

In fact as I talk about it Im started to get excited about a new QB.