Draft 2017 - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 14.02.2017, 03:13 PM
All Pro

Maybe it is just me but I do not like getting corners at top draft positions. I don't know whether there is any evidence to back up that fear.

Other positions have leeway but corners get thrown in at the deep end.

The Eagles don't have a number 1 corner to my knowledge. They are all average to below average. We had a 7th round rookie marking Julio Jones at one point last year. And that rookie played a load throughout the year. Whoever came in at the position would be the number 1 guy.

I'd rather get veteran corners then take a chance on someone later on, after round one.

Wide Receiver round 1 for the Eagles. Wentz cannot have that load of rubbish for a second year. He might regress. He is the priority.

Last edited by RockyBalboa; 14.02.2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 14.02.2017, 03:33 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post
Maybe it is just me but I do not like getting corners at top draft positions. I don't know whether there is any evidence to back up that fear.

The Eagles don't have a number 1 corner to my knowledge. They are all average to below average. We had a 7th round rookie marking Julio Jones at one point last year. And that rookie played a load throughout the year. Whoever came in at the position would be the number 1 guy.

I'd rather get veteran corners then take a chance on someone later on, after round one.

Wide Receiver round 1 for the Eagles. Wentz cannot have that load of rubbish for a second year. He might regress. He is the priority.
Surprised you don't feel the same about WR's, after Freddie Mitchell and Nelson Agholor...
Old 17.02.2017, 08:44 PM
Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonestar1963 View Post
not looking good for the new coach then...watch out if he calls a pass when the games in the bag
That relies on the Niners actually being well in front in the fourth quarter in any match... I suppose there's a couple of games against Darren Gough and the Lambs
Old 24.02.2017, 08:09 AM
Rookie

I think we should definitely be going for a CB in the first round, we struggled when Jimmy Smith was injured. It would be good to get either of the Florida CB's in Quincy Wilson or Teez Tabor at 16th pick. Also, i'm a Newcastle fan so unlucky with the Wolves result today
https://www.facebook.com/NFL/posts/10154871521891263

Last edited by joneyyes; 24.02.2017 at 08:12 AM.
Old 24.02.2017, 02:57 PM
All Pro

Our 1st round pick will surely be an edge rusher or corner. All these mock drafts suggesting TT is going to use it on an RB or TE, or even a WR, are just baffling to me (or indicative that they haven't a clue).
Old 24.02.2017, 03:04 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyBalboa View Post

I think that's an interesting question: the value of corners in the top, lets say, 15 picks.

The first observation I would make is that, for me, the best two corners in the NFL are Richard Sherman (R5) and Chris Harris (Undrafted) definitely not first rounders. Beyond them, it's, for me, Josh Norman (R5), Patrick Peterson (r1), Jason Verrett (R1) (if healthy) and Malcolm Butler (undrafted). Even if you disagree with my choice of top 6 guys, it's only guys like Desmond Trufant (R1) and Darius Slay (R2) next, so you're looking at a ratio of 3/8 are first rounders. Only one, Peterson at top 20 pick. Two undrafted guys there too.

I think the premier players at other positions are often 1st rounders (with some notable exceptions:

Rodgers, Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Vonn Miller, Tyron Smith, joe Thomas, Earl Thomas, Luke Keuchly...

This is very much anecdotal, and based on a small sample size. But it certainly seems that there might be something in the notion that while a 1st rounder corner is not a bad thing. That you can get value in lower rounds more easily than other "premier positions".

I would speculatively suggest there might be some truth in the fact that the difference between corners is smaller due to the way the rules make it so much harder for them now. But I don't know if I even beleive that. It could be just a small sample size.

I think it's an interesting perspective though.
Old 26.02.2017, 10:57 AM
MVP

The mock drafts are largely laughable. I saw one yesterday suggesting we'll draft a TE with our 1st. Really? Our defense needs so much work, and we should still get more than acceptable numbers out of Witten next season too. To use a 1st on a guy that would spend at least the next 12 months behind our future HoF TE would be mind boggling to say the least.
Old 26.02.2017, 12:17 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick_chicane View Post
The mock drafts are largely laughable. I saw one yesterday suggesting we'll draft a TE with our 1st. Really? Our defense needs so much work, and we should still get more than acceptable numbers out of Witten next season too. To use a 1st on a guy that would spend at least the next 12 months behind our future HoF TE would be mind boggling to say the least.
Mocks just throw out scenarios at this stage. Although I've heard more than one person suggest offensive options for the Cowboys if the right name falls.

Some teams build on their strengths too. Look at the Colts with Manning, it was all about the offence.

With TE being pretty deep this year though I think the Cowboys could wait. If Jake Butt fell to the end of 2nd round I'd think he'd have the Cowboys name written all over him. Injured AND a TE, how could they possibly pass?! Probably good value though.
Old 26.02.2017, 04:22 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by olig23 View Post
I think that's an interesting question: the value of corners in the top, lets say, 15 picks.

The first observation I would make is that, for me, the best two corners in the NFL are Richard Sherman (R5) and Chris Harris (Undrafted) definitely not first rounders. Beyond them, it's, for me, Josh Norman (R5), Patrick Peterson (r1), Jason Verrett (R1) (if healthy) and Malcolm Butler (undrafted). Even if you disagree with my choice of top 6 guys, it's only guys like Desmond Trufant (R1) and Darius Slay (R2) next, so you're looking at a ratio of 3/8 are first rounders. Only one, Peterson at top 20 pick. Two undrafted guys there too.

I think the premier players at other positions are often 1st rounders (with some notable exceptions:

Rodgers, Julio Jones, JJ Watt, Aaron Donald, Vonn Miller, Tyron Smith, joe Thomas, Earl Thomas, Luke Keuchly...

This is very much anecdotal, and based on a small sample size. But it certainly seems that there might be something in the notion that while a 1st rounder corner is not a bad thing. That you can get value in lower rounds more easily than other "premier positions".

I would speculatively suggest there might be some truth in the fact that the difference between corners is smaller due to the way the rules make it so much harder for them now. But I don't know if I even beleive that. It could be just a small sample size.

I think it's an interesting perspective though.
I think Joe Haden deserves to be in your list. I'd have him ahead of Peterson.
Old 26.02.2017, 05:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
Mocks just throw out scenarios at this stage. Although I've heard more than one person suggest offensive options for the Cowboys if the right name falls.

Some teams build on their strengths too. Look at the Colts with Manning, it was all about the offence.

With TE being pretty deep this year though I think the Cowboys could wait. If Jake Butt fell to the end of 2nd round I'd think he'd have the Cowboys name written all over him. Injured AND a TE, how could they possibly pass?! Probably good value though.
Hmm, I'd still rather see any TE considerations taking place later in the draft. But yeah, it does also depend who's on the board to which way a team goes. I'd be pretty shocked if our first doesn't go on a DE though.