Big Mack or Double Whopper? - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

View Poll Results: Big Mack or Double Whopper?
The House wins - Gruden is laughing all the way to Vegas! (Raiders) 3 13.04%
On Pace for the SB - The Monsters of Midway are back! (Bears) 13 56.52%
Everyone's a Winner - See you in Tampa baby! SB LV Raiders v Bears 1 4.35%
Fumble! - Gruden and Pace will be working in fast food before too long. 6 26.09%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03.09.2018, 09:21 AM
Hall of Fame

Default Big Mack or Double Whopper?

Unless you've been hiding under a rock lately you'll be well aware of the earth-shattering trade between the Raiders and the Bears involving All-World pass rusher Khalil Mack and a flurry of draft picks, notably the Bears 1st round selections in 2019 and 2020. Oh, and a market setting mega contract too (no, not John Gruden's $100m, Mack's 6yr/$141 million deal with $60 million guaranteed at signing and $90 million in total guarantees.).

So it's simple, who comes out on top in the long run? Cast your vote, give your view.

Last edited by RichardCunliffe; 03.09.2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03.09.2018, 09:35 AM
All Pro

I'm going to say there are no winners or losers here. The Raiders just don't value an Edge Rusher at $100 million plus. As I posted on another thread he was "all world" last year and what happened? 6 - 10. No point in signing a player to the kind of contract that hollows out your roster and prevents retaining other, dare I say, more important positions? With Carr's contract coming up what could we do? Even with the cap going up.

Bottom line is that we couldn't pay him or force him to play. Sitting out 2019 was a situation with no winners and 2 1st round picks seems fair. If the Bears could accommodate the contract, a situation made easier with their QB still in his rookie deal then good luck to them.

Obviously I'm gutted we lost him but in the end we get some extra draft ammo and 2019 looks loaded on the D, the Bears get a player that could put them over the top if Trubisky comes good and Mack gets his money. Having said that, we could easily blow those picks and getting Mack won't win them a Superbowl on it's own. I suppose that makes Mack the only true winner?

Last edited by LesterHayes; 03.09.2018 at 09:37 AM.
Old 03.09.2018, 09:36 AM
Hall of Fame

I've gone for the Bears being the eventual winner. Not to say they are SB bound, but a bird in the hand and all that. Contracts are only going up and up, perhaps QB's are different but how easily do we forget the last record setting QB contract when a new one comes along? Maybe that's going to be the case on the other side of the ball. Will Mack's contract look good when Myles Garrett needs a new deal?

The Draft is a lottery too, one that Gruden doesn't have a great track record in. Even if he hits on one of the 2 1st rounders he got from the Bears, which isn't that easy, then he's effectively beck to square one. The Raiders will have more money to spend but Free Agents will know that too. Will they have to pay over the odds for 'lesser' players as a result. I don't know, maybe the appeal of playing in Vegas will offset that (although that brings it's own problems).

The Bears have their young QB, on a cheaper contract. If ever there was a window to devote huge money to a pass rusher now is the time. If Mack is an All-Pro 2 or 3 times over the course of his contract then it's hard to argue against the move regardless of Championship returns. You can never have too many pass rushers, let alone a potential HoF one.
Old 03.09.2018, 10:25 AM
MVP

I know defensive systems can change, but don't the Bears run more of a base 3-4? Mack was more of a DE for the Raiders and obviously will slot in as an outside LB. He can get to the QB but is also excellent against the run so it probably won't make that much of a difference where he plays.
Old 03.09.2018, 10:49 AM
Hall of Fame

I might be wrong, but I think he was a 3-4 LB when he came out of college, or at least a SAM LB who tended to rush alot.

Like you say, with all the nickel played these days it might not matter. Tbh, I think he might be more effective rushing in space than with his hand on the ground.
Old 03.09.2018, 12:36 PM
All Pro

The Bears are the clear winner here - they've just picked up one of the top 3 defensive players in the NFL for a 1st round pick in 2019, and dropping a few spots in the 2020 NFL draft (potentially only like 10 spots) - and then some lower round picks which barely hit anyways.

Raiders fans seem to be loving the draft ammo side of it - but their team looks on a downward spiral, and the Bears look on an upward trajectory (especially if Trubisky progresses). Those 1st round picks the Bears gave up are far more likely to be in the 20-30 range than they are to be in the top 10. And if the Raiders continue this downward looking trajectory, there difference between the Bears 1st round and Raiders 2nd pick in 2020 could be something as little as 10 draft spots!

The whole point of the draft is to hit on players like Khalil Mack, and keep them on your roster for a decade plus. There's a reason the Rams have paid Aaron Donald, the Broncos paid Von Miller, the Panthers paid Luke Kuechly etc. You pay your best players!
Old 03.09.2018, 12:39 PM
All Pro

Bears win this one. Mack is worth those picks and Bears have the space to pay him.
Old 03.09.2018, 12:46 PM
MVP

Bears for me. They get an all-time great pass rusher and the Raiders get first round picks that could end up being disastrous. I'd rather have the guarantee of the quality player.
Old 03.09.2018, 01:28 PM
Pro Bowler

I feel sorry for Detroit mostly. Rodgers, Vikings defense and now Mack and co...gees.
Old 03.09.2018, 01:36 PM
Team Captain

Bears in so far as can be told at this point before we know what the picks are. Takes their defence from being the sort of solid unit that will keep you in games to an aggressive one that can win games.

Still don't see them making the play-offs, though. Minnesota are much stronger all round and Rodgers is more important than Mack. NFC North could have last place in 8-8 or something ridiculous like that.