Super Bowl 53. Game day thread. - Page 17 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > Gameday Forum

Old 04.02.2019, 12:48 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonPatriot View Post
And isn't that the hallmark of Champions? I get the hate for the Patriots in general but not the hate for simply doing what needed to be done to win another SB?

As it happens, I feel a lot of you will get your wish. I was so nervous for last night and I think a large part of that is thinking that was probably Brady's last SB. Possibly not for BB, but it'll be a few years.

Now to savour every last bit of the victory for the next few weeks
Exactly which is why I offered my congratulations.

They didn’t panic or try and be clever. Just got it done. They have given us just about every type of SB win and loss over this amazing run.

Unfortunately I don’t think it is their last. If last night proved anything it proved that even when they don’t play their best and they are there for the taking opposing coaches can’t match up. They’ll walk their division again the other three are miles off and they’ll do what they do in the play offs.
Old 04.02.2019, 12:54 PM
Team Captain

Well I enjoyed that, admittedly it may help that I've just watched it rather than through the night.

I like low-scoring games because every moment matters as every drive could be the key. There was one good drive last night and it decided the game.

Plus I enjoy seeing the defensive players who get little credit and the general public just want to see look foolish bite back and get their moment. For all that Brady and Kraft in particular are awful there are some good guys and good players on the New England defence who go under the radar and the Rams played excellently as well until they tired, thought Littleton was outstanding given the talk that the linebackers were the weakness there.

It does feel like the way to get after these modern offenses is what New England and Baltimore have shown - lots of men up on the line to make it unclear who's coming and who isn't. But it does require a lot of savvy veterans, linebackers big enough to pass rush and a very good secondary to pull it off so don't know how replicable that is.

Didn't really care for either of these teams but I was ultimately disappointed we didn't get a 6-3 Rams win and Hekker as the MVP. Bloody Patriots ruin everything.
Old 04.02.2019, 01:30 PM
Pro Bowler

Worst thing about that game was, despite it being so tight point wise throughout, at no point did Goff look capable. Despite Brady not having a great game, it wasn't much of a question that he eventually do enough to out-score the Rams given how terrible the Rams looked on every offensive drive before the 4th quarter.

Was just a slow, dull descent into the inevitable conclusion of a Patriots win.
Old 04.02.2019, 02:32 PM
All Pro

Well I suppose we were due a dud Patriots super bowl - and boy did we get it to some extent last night!

Have to say I think the Pats on offence just shot themselves in the foot - first half they had an INT in FG range, a missed FG, and then a missed 4th down - three trips to within FG range and no points is beyond sloppy, and really the game should’ve been out of sight. Brady played poorly, outside of the TD drive where he was vintage Brady, the throw to Gronk was beautiful. Some credit has to go to Wade Phillips as he outcoached McDaniels mostly, and confused Brady particularly on the INT (Brady thought that was man when it was zone).

As for the other side of the ball - Belichick and Flores put an absolute clown suit on McVay coaching wise and the Pats D players simply were too physical for the Rams. Go back and watch that game, the Rams OL gets abused, particularly the right guard Blythe was shocking, and the Pats DBs played great again. The plan was simple - stop the run and make Goff beat you, and we’ve seen consistently now for a while he can’t do it when you get in his face (think Bears/Eagles games this year, Atlanta playoff game last year). The fact McVay had no trick plays or wrinkles to me was shocking, he seemed to just stick with what they do when it was clearly not working!

This playoff run has been incredible from the Pats coaching staff - first team since the 85 Bears to hold opposing sides to 7 points in the first half combined of three playoff games, absolutely dominated in the running game.

Looking at the future - I think Gronk retires now, a great way for him to go out, my favourite non Brady patriot of all time! Pats have decisions to make on McCourty twins and Hightower, who either need pay cuts or will retire/move on, and PAY TREY FLOWERS PLEASE! The mental thing is we should have around $35-40 million in cap space, and we have 6 picks in the first 100 in the draft (and 12 picks overall iirc). Pats are actually really well tooled to add a huge amount of talent this off season...
Old 04.02.2019, 03:19 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
Well I suppose we were due a dud Patriots super bowl - and boy did we get it to some extent last night!

Have to say I think the Pats on offence just shot themselves in the foot - first half they had an INT in FG range, a missed FG, and then a missed 4th down - three trips to within FG range and no points is beyond sloppy, and really the game should’ve been out of sight. Brady played poorly, outside of the TD drive where he was vintage Brady, the throw to Gronk was beautiful. Some credit has to go to Wade Phillips as he outcoached McDaniels mostly, and confused Brady particularly on the INT (Brady thought that was man when it was zone).

As for the other side of the ball - Belichick and Flores put an absolute clown suit on McVay coaching wise and the Pats D players simply were too physical for the Rams. Go back and watch that game, the Rams OL gets abused, particularly the right guard Blythe was shocking, and the Pats DBs played great again. The plan was simple - stop the run and make Goff beat you, and we’ve seen consistently now for a while he can’t do it when you get in his face (think Bears/Eagles games this year, Atlanta playoff game last year). The fact McVay had no trick plays or wrinkles to me was shocking, he seemed to just stick with what they do when it was clearly not working!

This playoff run has been incredible from the Pats coaching staff - first team since the 85 Bears to hold opposing sides to 7 points in the first half combined of three playoff games, absolutely dominated in the running game.

Looking at the future - I think Gronk retires now, a great way for him to go out, my favourite non Brady patriot of all time! Pats have decisions to make on McCourty twins and Hightower, who either need pay cuts or will retire/move on, and PAY TREY FLOWERS PLEASE! The mental thing is we should have around $35-40 million in cap space, and we have 6 picks in the first 100 in the draft (and 12 picks overall iirc). Pats are actually really well tooled to add a huge amount of talent this off season...
With Gronk possibly retiring, it leaves Brady with one receiver (discounting the RB's)
The experiment with Hogan as a starting WR has to come to an end - rarely makes a contested catch and held to zero catches from 6 targets last night

Is BB likely to draft a WR worthy of the name in the draft? Its pretty slim pickings in FA
Old 04.02.2019, 04:49 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash11 View Post
With Gronk possibly retiring, it leaves Brady with one receiver (discounting the RB's)
The experiment with Hogan as a starting WR has to come to an end - rarely makes a contested catch and held to zero catches from 6 targets last night

Is BB likely to draft a WR worthy of the name in the draft? Its pretty slim pickings in FA
Yeah it leaves the cupboard very bare at receiver! BB is good at many things but drafting WR's is not his strongest point, Edelman is his only success in the last 15 years and he was a college QB. Thinking about it him and Deion Branch may be his only successes when drafting wideouts!

I'm not familiar with this years receiver class yet, does anyone have a take on whether this a good class this year? I love Lil'Jordan Humphrey from Texas but I don't think he's eligible until at least next year.
Old 04.02.2019, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by manic_matt View Post
Yeah it leaves the cupboard very bare at receiver! BB is good at many things but drafting WR's is not his strongest point, Edelman is his only success in the last 15 years and he was a college QB. Thinking about it him and Deion Branch may be his only successes when drafting wideouts!

I'm not familiar with this years receiver class yet, does anyone have a take on whether this a good class this year? I love Lil'Jordan Humphrey from Texas but I don't think he's eligible until at least next year.
Looks quite a deep WR class, though one without any obvious stars. D.K Metcalf seems to be emerging as the consensus #1 at the position. Be interesting to see what happens with Josh Gordon.
Old 04.02.2019, 06:37 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
Edelman MVP. That’s deserved to be honest.
the only other options was Gilmore who had a great game or give it to the patriots linebackers,Hightower and Van Noy just had a field day.
Old 04.02.2019, 06:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by stocksy View Post
Exactly. The resident “Experts” claim they enjoyed it, as there is a certain snobbery and elitism In enjoying a low scoring game here but let’s be real, there were 3 big plays on defence, the MVP was undisputed but in any other SB wouldn’t have been in the conversation. The defensive schemes and shifts were interesting but not when both offences couldn’t come up with any plays. New England strung together 3 decent plays - all the same in a row - and punched in a TD with the 4 play on the goal line.

Was hardly a masterclass... nobody had their finest hour.

Pats never looked like loosing it after the initial interception.

Congrats to the Pats though as they put their head down and ground it out even though they weren’t at the races.
so maybe a high scoring game with plenty of blown coverage's and missed tackles next year.

this was maybe not a game for the casual fan but both defences had great game plans and the players executed,the Rams got enough push to make Brady throw early and it showed how average our receivers are outside of Edelman and the Patriots took away the Rams run game so limited the play action then played coverage's that confused the young Goff enough.

Peter King has a great write up on the actual TD drive where the patriots key was getting into 2TE/2RB's which don't think we see at all in a league based on spread offences.this game was a bit like the SNF game between the Bears/Rams which was a good watch but repeating it in a Super bowl doesn't seem everyone's cup of tea.
Old 04.02.2019, 06:58 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by djhdjh View Post
Well I enjoyed that, admittedly it may help that I've just watched it rather than through the night.

I like low-scoring games because every moment matters as every drive could be the key. There was one good drive last night and it decided the game.

Plus I enjoy seeing the defensive players who get little credit and the general public just want to see look foolish bite back and get their moment. For all that Brady and Kraft in particular are awful there are some good guys and good players on the New England defence who go under the radar and the Rams played excellently as well until they tired, thought Littleton was outstanding given the talk that the linebackers were the weakness there.

It does feel like the way to get after these modern offenses is what New England and Baltimore have shown - lots of men up on the line to make it unclear who's coming and who isn't. But it does require a lot of savvy veterans, linebackers big enough to pass rush and a very good secondary to pull it off so don't know how replicable that is.

Didn't really care for either of these teams but I was ultimately disappointed we didn't get a 6-3 Rams win and Hekker as the MVP. Bloody Patriots ruin everything.
people can hate on Belichick but 31 other teams would give anything to have him creating game plans,the Chiefs game saw Hill/Kelce disappear and last night we had Chung until his injury playing on the end of a 6 man line pretty much taking away the stretch play that the Rams rely on and J Jones playing 98% of the defensive snaps ahead of Harmon/JC Jackson.