NFLUK 2019 7 round Mock Draft-Discussion thread - Page 34 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL season

Old 22.03.2019, 08:13 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
Have to say I love Noah Fant - I think he’s the best TE in this draft and can be a top 5 TE in the league. Hockenson is good don’t get me wrong, but I see a much higher ceiling for Fant
I haven't seen much of Fant. Undoubtedly umber-athletic, as the Combine proved, but the one thing I keep hearing/reading about is dropped passes. That scares me. There are a few 'high ceiling' guys in the NFL who struggle to catch at times and there is nothing more infuriating.
Old 22.03.2019, 08:16 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarwinTheAardvark View Post
Djhdjh posting having PM'd Baltimore to let them know they are on the clock.

To elaborate on the trade-up and Ford selection. The most urgent need for Philadelphia is an heir to Jason Peters. There were three tackles I deemed worthy of the role and Ford was the last one left as well as probably the best player left overall (I don't create a board that exactly ranks each player). I felt pretty certain Houston would take an O-Lineman and I wasn't going to mess about hoping it wasn't him. The fact that Ford can also play Guard doesn't hurt as it means he can cover there as a rookie if Brooks takes time to recover while getting ready to take over from Peters at LT the year after.

I must say I'm loving the draft overall so far, really interesting and potentially great players like Ferrell, Oliver and Wilkins going higher than expected by most but more so where I think they should.
Is Ford potentially a RT candidate, like college, with Lane switching to LT when Peters is gone?
Old 22.03.2019, 08:21 PM
Pro Bowler

Djhdjh posting

Personally I think the difference between LT and RT in terms of requirements is overblown. The pass rush comes from anywhere these days and teams don't just run to the right either. Sure LT is marginally more important but I don't believe the position requires different types - hell Lane Johnson is the relatively small nippy one on the right and Peters is the big one on the left for us. In real life the Eagles will almost certainly not move Johnson when Peters leaves and I agree with that.

It is true, though, that Ford is considered more of an RT so that sort of idea would definitely come up if we took him.
Old 22.03.2019, 08:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Djhdjh posting

Personally I think the difference between LT and RT in terms of requirements is overblown. The pass rush comes from anywhere these days and teams don't just run to the right either. Sure LT is marginally more important but I don't believe the position requires different types - hell Lane Johnson is the relatively small nippy one on the right and Peters is the big one on the left for us. In real life the Eagles will almost certainly not move Johnson when Peters leaves and I agree with that.

It is true, though, that Ford is considered more of an RT so that sort of idea would definitely come up if we took him.
Agree, just wondered if you thought it was better to keep a rookie at the position he knows best (right handed) and move the veteran, or leave the established veteran alone and transition the rookie to LT. Obviously you answered that.
Old 22.03.2019, 08:44 PM
Starter

Probably on a hiding to nothing with looking for a trade partner on a Friday night, will give it another 15-20 minutes then post
Old 22.03.2019, 08:48 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCunliffe View Post
I haven't seen much of Fant. Undoubtedly umber-athletic, as the Combine proved, but the one thing I keep hearing/reading about is dropped passes. That scares me. There are a few 'high ceiling' guys in the NFL who struggle to catch at times and there is nothing more infuriating.
I think the catch/drops thing is a tad overrated because Hockenson catches literally everything and they’re compared to each other. Similarly Fant’s blocking is more than good enough, but is seen as a negative because it isn’t as good as Hockenson’s. But I think Fant is just a different level of talent as a pure receiver, put him in NE’s system running up the seam he’d be unstoppable
Old 22.03.2019, 08:49 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
Djhdjh posting from this account as I'm locked out of mine (thanks Wayne for being so accommodating!)
Good stuff! Great to see you found a way in Nice pick as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollyrules View Post
Have to say I love Noah Fant - I think he’s the best TE in this draft and can be a top 5 TE in the league. Hockenson is good don’t get me wrong, but I see a much higher ceiling for Fant
Yes, Fant's potential is so great. Pairing him with the Steelers would be very interesting.
Old 22.03.2019, 09:07 PM
Starter

Pick up, sorry for the essay explanation accompanying it. PM'ed Texans
Old 22.03.2019, 09:20 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOggy View Post
Ah you ba$tard I had my eye on Simmons at 32 now the TEs had gone! Think he’s going to be a steal for a team at the end of the 1st in real life and your explanation is bang on mate imo
Old 22.03.2019, 09:21 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenOggy View Post
Like that pick (and the explanation). I think a team in the 2nd half of the round, with an established roster, will find it impossible to pass on Simmons. A team who can afford to wait for Simmons to return to the field and get back up to speed, potentially in time for the play offs.