NBA Thread - Page 465 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

Old 22.06.2013, 03:26 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by tksgtmason View Post
how exactly does the salary cap work in the nba?
Its complicated but to simplify it basically teams can spend what they want though it gets very expensive when they exceed salary cap, Any outlay over the cap incurs whats called the luxury tax.
Old 23.06.2013, 03:54 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuds100 View Post
Its complicated but to simplify it basically teams can spend what they want though it gets very expensive when they exceed salary cap, Any outlay over the cap incurs whats called the luxury tax.
and said luxury tax is what?
Old 25.06.2013, 07:48 PM
All Pro

Probably been asked before but who do we all support?
Old 26.06.2013, 08:03 AM
All Pro

For anyone interested, after all my painstaking googling, I've found a place in the UK that will legally stream the draft (for a small fee).

The NBA player is showing it, it's £3 for a month's access so perfectly reasonable.

http://watch.nba.com/nba/
Old 27.06.2013, 11:03 PM
GOAT

Are we looking forwards to the Draft?

I don't follow College hoops much, but I'm hearing good things about Ben McLemore and Trey Burke - hopefully the Magic can snare one of them.
Old 27.06.2013, 11:46 PM
MVP

50/50 looks a weak draft but interested to see where Michael Carter Williams ends up and who the Jazz are picking. Utah need a guard so could be both questions answered with the same pick.
Old 27.06.2013, 11:51 PM
MVP

Victor Oladipo to the Magic huge pick by them should be the best player in the draft.

Edit- for those that have never seen him play he has some fans.

Quote:
In laying out a comparison for Victor Oladipo, we looked no further than the Indiana-Michigan State game in which ESPN broadcasters Magic Johnson and Dick Vitale lauded Oladipo as the next Michael Jordan.

Last edited by Goodfry; 27.06.2013 at 11:55 PM.
Old 28.06.2013, 10:59 AM
Team Captain

An entertaining draft with some surprising picks and trades. I'm happy with the Bobcats selection of Cody Zeller, an athletic seven foot PF/C. He'll slot in at PF. He's got the ability to stretch the court, shoot 3s, run the court if needed, amd overall he brings a decent option to the starting lineup. He was maybe a reach at #4, but sometimes it is better to reach and get your guy, than trade back to the 7 to 12 region and potentially miss out.

I think Oladipo going to the Magic will be a good fit. He's an imposing player with elite athleticism. He's got the ability to put up points, and also bring excellent defence. I think the Magic may try Afflalo to the Clippers for Bledsoe. A Bledsoe-Oladipo pairing could be an entertaining duo. For me the Magic have a very promising lineup with only PG left to address. If they pass on Bledsoe, they could try to grab a player like Jennings, or wait for Smart next year if they don't land a top two or three pick (ie Wiggins, Parker, and Randle are arguably the top three guys). The good times aren't far off for the Magic.

But my pick of the night was the Sacramento Kings taking Ben McLemore at #7. For me he was one of the best in the draft. He's got all star potential, and his jump shot is a thing of beauty (check it out on YouTube). At #7 he's a steal. They could shift Evans back to PG where he started his career, and that should help Evans because at times his assists where lower due to not having a player that can down shots, in McLemore he has a go to guy. Evans-McLemore has potential, but at the same time they may decide to move on from Tyreke Evans.

Last edited by Michael975; 28.06.2013 at 11:02 AM.
Old 28.06.2013, 11:18 AM
Team Captain

What do people think of the blockbuster Nets-Celtics trade?
Brooklyn receive: Paul Pierce, Kevin Garnett, and Jason Terry.

Celtics receive: Kris Humphries and Gerald Wallace, along with guard Keith Bogans, along with first-round picks in 2014, 2016 and 2018.
This is what nba.com says the deal is, other reports include other players going to the Celtics. But overall I think this is potentially good business by the Nets. Their starting line up of Williams, Johnson, Pierce, Garnett and Lopez has a ton of potential. Their title window is very small though, maybe two seasons, three tops. But if all stay healthy and gel, their starting unit is strong in each position. Their bench needs some work, but for me the Nets have a chance to be a serious contender next season if all goes well.

The Celtics grabbing three first round picks is a good deal, and it will be interesting to see how they rebuild - ie create a new big three, or through the draft. With Rondo I don't see him wanting to hang around for a few years while they draft and develop their own stars
. So I think a new big three could be an option next season when some big name free agents could hit the market, and if they can end up with a top three pick in next year's draft that will let them land a potentially franchise changing talent.
Old 28.06.2013, 06:00 PM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael975 View Post
An entertaining draft with some surprising picks and trades. I'm happy with the Bobcats selection of Cody Zeller, an athletic seven foot PF/C. He'll slot in at PF. He's got the ability to stretch the court, shoot 3s, run the court if needed, amd overall he brings a decent option to the starting lineup. He was maybe a reach at #4, but sometimes it is better to reach and get your guy, than trade back to the 7 to 12 region and potentially miss out.

But my pick of the night was the Sacramento Kings taking Ben McLemore at #7. For me he was one of the best in the draft. He's got all star potential, and his jump shot is a thing of beauty (check it out on YouTube). At #7 he's a steal. They could shift Evans back to PG where he started his career, and that should help Evans because at times his assists where lower due to not having a player that can down shots, in McLemore he has a go to guy. Evans-McLemore has potential, but at the same time they may decide to move on from Tyreke Evans.
I'm mixed on Zeller. He often failed to take over games last year as predicted and couldn't dominate games even when he had major sized advantages over the other team and also plays too soft too often. The positive on him is there is few big men out there that can play offence he certainly isn't a tall man project pick like so many in his size bracket that can't shoot and the potential is there for him to have a very nice career.

I don't like the trade from the Nets point of view think. When you get to the playoffs it helps having youth on your side two of the players 35 years old KG 37. It's going for broke with a team that isn't a few players away from being a contender. For the Celtics it's job done. They need to rebuild, they got something out of players that weren't going to take them far.