Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 408 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 29.11.2012, 07:22 PM
All Pro

Don't talk like that, Pete. Run the table and get it done!

(please don't)
Old 30.11.2012, 09:36 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteAtomic View Post
Every game the Bears play is a huge game here on out. It's between you guys and the Pack.
This week I have absolute faith in the Mighty Ponder
Old 03.12.2012, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

So....

I think a lot is being made of the fact that the Bears have not beaten a good team, and to an extent that is a fair observation. But I thought they were unlucky yesterday. Our previous three losses were, in my opinion, to three legitimate Super Bowl contenders, and the Packers games can always go either way. I thought yesterday was a good chance for Chicago to show they are a serious contender in the NFC.

However, it wasn't to be. I thought two big moments in the first half is why we didn't win. The decision to go for it on 4th & 1 and the drop by Earl Bennett on that long pass were points taken off the board.

Hindsight is wonderful thing, and I am generally in favour of teams being more aggressive on 4th and short. However, I don't think it was necessary in that situation. In the 1st half up by 7 in what appeared like it might be a low scoring game, I would have taken the points there and make it a two score game. Being up by two forces the opposition to call more passing plays and plays into the hands of our cover-2 defence.

With Bennett's drop I don't see any excuse really. I had another look and I'm convinced it is a TD if he catches the ball. I think that really could have made the game tough for Seattle because at that point it should have been 17-0, which really affects Seattle's gameplan.

However, we didn't execute and allowed Seattle back in the game, a chance they took very impressively. I've been really, really impressed by Russell Wilson and I hope the Seahawks make the playoffs because they have a very good young team and I like watching them play.

I also felt like my concerns about the D are being realised. We looked tired and without turnovers I think we struggle a bit more than people realise to stop opposition passing offences. Henry Melton looked solid up front yet again. But by contrast Julius Peppers has not performed well I don't think.

Cutler was excellent though I thought and the line held up quite well under pressure. He seems to be getting better as the season progresses.
Old 31.01.2013, 05:15 PM
Super Moderator

Repost from another thread. I figured it relevant here too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg M View Post
I would love to read you doing a rundown of how everything stands with the Bears' cap, if you've got 5 mins.
It's no as bad as many think. I actually think the Bears have managed heir roster very well. In fact I will continue to make the case that Lovie Smith did the best job anyone could do with the quality of players he was given. But that is an aside.

A point on cap rollover
One unheralded part of the new CBA is cap rollover. That means any free space from this year can be used next year. So while it's a pretty flat cap (moving up slightly to $121m) teams will be able to have far larger salaries if they're smart.

The Bears cap rollover is roughly $7.5m and thus their figure will be $128m roughly. Ultimately we have around $14m in cap space which allows us flexibility. It's not the most by any stretch (Bengals have $55m in space, Colts $46m and Tampa £31m) but it's around the top 10 in the NFL. Some teams have it far worse (NY Jets -$19m for example. Carolina, Arizona, Oakland, Pittsburgh, Dallas, Washington, Detroit are all in the red).

For next year

Peppers: $17m
Cutler: $10.5m
Marshall: $9m
Tillman: $8m
Forte £7m
Briggs $6.5m
Jennings $4.5m
Hester $2.8m

Free Agents

Players of any significance who expire are as follows:
Brian Urlacher
Henry Melton
Israel Idonije
Jason Campbell
Lance Louis
Nick Roach
Kelvin Hayden
D.J. Moore
Johnny Knox
Geno Hayes

Considerations
The first things to look at is the defence. The team is built to play a cover-2. However, I think Phil EMery under-estimated the loyalty of Rod Marinelli towards Lovie and now we have a problem of continuity on that side of the ball. Despite feeling it was a mistake to fire Lovie, I do like all of the moves the Bears made. I like Trestman's potential and I really like Mel Tucker. He did more with less in Jacksonville. His scheme is not the same a Lovie's but I think it has similar characteristics such as mobile DTs and prioritisation of turnovers.

Choices, choices

Re-sign Cutler. This will happen. They will want to do a deal that is back loaded to adsorb the escalation in Peppers salary. I cannot see them tagging him because of Peppers.

Extend Marshall. This might happen this summer or next. They will need some cap friendly deal for the reason mentioned above. It depends how aggressive the Bears are feeling.

Resign Melton. This could be tricky. He's a player who I have rated for a while now. But as a good situational guy not a star. You are always suspicious of guys who have career years as their contract is up for renewal. The Bears will offer him a deal but I would not be shocked if he asks for too much. not sure what the tag is on DTs but I doubt he is worth that. Had a stellar 2012 though. it's a tough one. If he's looking for upward of $7m a season it would be tough. One thing to bear in mind is that Geno Atkins will have to be renewed soon since his deal is up in 2014. The Bengals won't want him to even sniff a hint of the market so he'll command a mega deal. the Bears would be wise to resign Melton now before the market changes on DTs.

Idonije? It's a really tough call. he was excellent this year in run defence. he is our most consistent lineman. and yes that includes a certain Mr Peppers. BUT. They drafted McClellin and Wooten emerged. I would like him to stay but my feeling is he will walk.

Jason Campbell?. The Bears will try and keep him. I think he took a chance a putting himself in the shop window assuming cutler might get hurt. he did. But the 49ers were not the team Campbell needed. He was killed and his stock along with it. I think he'll test the market and if the Bears don't see a better option he'll resign. could go either way.

Resign Lance Louis?. I think they will. He's a subpar lineman but he's one of the better of an awful bunch. With Spencer and Rachal very unlikely to be back I can't imagine they will let him walk.

Moore or Hayden?. It will be one or the other as slot corner. Marinelli preferred Hayden who has more #1 or #2 type skills at Cb. I prefer Moore who is a true slot corner. Less athletic but simply a better player. It's up to the coaches who they like most.

Resign #54? I think it's important to say everyone I think wants him back, including Urlacher himself. I think it's a very tough situation.

what is his number? It's harder to mask short term deals.

It's a good class of MLBs... the Bears will see if Te'o, Ogletree or Kevin Minter fall to them. If they especially like one I wouldn't be shocked to see them take him.

They have to consider his leadership. Is losing Smith, Marinelli and Urlacher too much? I think so. Given they were strong on D.

He played hurt in 2012. was awful vs the run BUT still one of the best Lbs in the NFL in coverage. What is his health and true level?

In the end I think that unless they fall head over heels of Te'o or Ogletree they resign him.

Left tackles This could be the year where a few LTs hit the market. The Bears have the space to look at Jake Long but I doubt they're front runners. Webb's cap hit is so friendly that they may be persuaded by his development - he was improved.

I personally think young tackles always struggle. Some elite guys were awful early in their careers. Albert, Duane Brown, Ferguson, Trent Williams so I hope they don't quite give up on Carimi.

I would like us to fix the interior of the line. It's woeful.

Hester and Knox. Will I think be moved on.

That's all I have.

Last edited by olig23; 31.01.2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 31.01.2013, 05:31 PM
All Pro

nice read.....sign lach asap thats all i have to say
Old 31.01.2013, 07:39 PM
Pro Bowler

Great read Olig, some good points in there.

Does anyone know the injury situation on Johnny Knox, as I'd like to see him return if he was healthy.
Old 01.02.2013, 12:29 PM
Team Captain

From what I saw in December, Knox wont be returning to football anytime soon. Its a miracle he can walk, but he doesnt look like he will be able to do too much in the way of football at the moment
Old 04.02.2013, 11:38 PM
Hall of Fame

Ravens much maligned QB, old D with time short = Superbowl win

2013 season

why not your lot

Cutler fits the first part, and your D is getting old!
Old 05.02.2013, 12:31 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packman12 View Post
Ravens much maligned QB, old D with time short = Superbowl win

2013 season

why not your lot

Cutler fits the first part, and your D is getting old!
You're very sweet, TT

Hold on! This is another attempt to jinx us, isn't it? Just like last year when you picked us to win the SB despite the world and his dog knowing we had 4 cardboard boxes and one of those children's windmill things for an offensive line! You... Lucy!

ps - the answer to "why not?" is "rookie coaching staff".
Old 05.02.2013, 12:33 PM
Hall of Fame

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
You're very sweet, TT

Hold on! This is another attempt to jinx us, isn't it? Just like last year when you picked us to win the SB despite the world and his dog knowing we had 4 cardboard boxes and one of those children's windmill things for an offensive line! You... Lucy!

ps - the answer to "why not?" is "rookie coaching staff".
Trestman has been around the block though.
And was OC when Gannon was at his best.

Officially I am picking the Packers next season I was right when we won it.
Just noting how similar your story would be to the Ravens this season.

You just need Urlacher to say its his final year, switch to 52 and become preachy and its your title to lose!