Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 416 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 13.11.2013, 06:57 AM
MVP

As for our QB situation...

When McCown played against GB like he did, I thought the problem was solved, Cutler would be released and they would commit to Josh on a much smaller contract.....then I found out he was 34! I genuinely thought he was in his late 20's lol. So that's not going to happen...

I would rather they stick with Jay than roll a dice on a rookie in the draft, this offense is set and good for the next 3 years at least barring injuries. We finally have a line that gives protection to the QB. A rookie might set us back on that side of the ball.

As for this talk about Cutler leaving to save cap space....if you want to save some cash for FA. Get rid of Peppers and Tillman, that's about $20m straight away. Both these guys have been monsters for us but both are now well past their best and hitting mid 30's. Lance Briggs probably only has another year of top level play left in him...injury permitting.

We should keep Cutler and draft at DT, DE and CB and have a look in free agency for other defensive pieces.
Old 13.11.2013, 06:15 PM
All Pro

There are few superstar QBs in the league, the chances of drafting one are slim to say the least. You need a project rookie with (you think) the tangibles and the attitude to be outstanding. Throwing a rookie in the deep end and hoping they swim can crush and permanently damage a players psyche; they are only human after all.

The media lovers to make stars out of players who have achieved nothing yet; they get nicknames and idiots like Mayock crow on endlessly about what these "kids" (LOL) did at college. Look at how some of the new media darlings have played this season; better than Cutler? really?

Cutler is looking rather fragile, I don't just refer to the current situation; that bothers me a lot if he takes a large chunk of the cap.

You have to pay the going rate for a QB who has more upside than downside; unfortunately that is the way the market is.

A young cheap D draft is a better bet for a team that has got old on D, not a return to the revolving door at QB that a most of us have grown up watching.
Old 02.02.2014, 10:15 AM
Pro Bowler

Was wondering if my favourite non-eagle Peanut could extend his career by playing free safety?
As i've read the Conte thread and he seems to be a mediocre player (no offence intended).
Old 02.02.2014, 10:57 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweagle View Post
Was wondering if my favourite non-eagle Peanut could extend his career by playing free safety?
As i've read the Conte thread and he seems to be a mediocre player (no offence intended).
I don't think he has the speed to play FS.
Old 02.02.2014, 12:34 PM
MVP

Quote:
His strength has always been physical man coverage so I can't see him switching.
Old 02.02.2014, 12:39 PM
Team Captain

Quote:
On paper it sounds perfect: we get to keep Tillman and upgrade at Safety, but it doesn't sound like something either party is pursuing....

http://fansided.com/2013/11/15/charl...switch-safety/

http://midwaymadness.com/2014/01/cha...wer-at-safety/

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...st-free-agency
Old 04.02.2014, 02:09 PM
Team Captain

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf...oit_lions.html

Obviously only speculation but not something I would like to see...
Old 06.02.2014, 07:55 PM
Team Captain

Seen that Asante Samuel and Stephen Nicholas have been released by the Falcons.

Always liked Samuel, perhaps he could be a short-term replacement for Peanut if he's cheap.

The surprise for me is Nicholas. Ok so I didn't watch much of Atlanta this season but the year before I remember being very impressed by him. OLB if Anderson doesn't return / Bostic or Greene are not ready?
Old 07.02.2014, 08:29 AM
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staley View Post
Seen that Asante Samuel and Stephen Nicholas have been released by the Falcons.

Always liked Samuel, perhaps he could be a short-term replacement for Peanut if he's cheap.

The surprise for me is Nicholas. Ok so I didn't watch much of Atlanta this season but the year before I remember being very impressed by him. OLB if Anderson doesn't return / Bostic or Greene are not ready?
Hi guys,
Samuel has been average for the last 2 years (not as good as he was in 2011), he will be 33 before season starts and only managed 512 snaps last year. So not that surprised the Falcons want to upgrade at CB. I would pass on him.

As for LB... I wouldn't resign Anderson or sign Nicholas (only played 132 snaps in 2013; i though he was average in 2012; and he missed loads of time 2011 as well). Bostic or McClellin may take/share the SAM position anyway.
As for middle LB. Spikes is probably the ideal / best but prob way out of what we can afford with DL/Safety a higher priority, we amy be able to afford Dansby due to his age). If we can't afford/get one of the better MLBs then either resign Williams (who again looks like he could be injury prone) or sign/draft another newcomer.

Cheers
Geordie bear
Old 07.02.2014, 09:31 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganimal Geordie Bear View Post
Hi guys,
Samuel has been average for the last 2 years (not as good as he was in 2011), he will be 33 before season starts and only managed 512 snaps last year. So not that surprised the Falcons want to upgrade at CB. I would pass on him.

As for LB... I wouldn't resign Anderson or sign Nicholas (only played 132 snaps in 2013; i though he was average in 2012; and he missed loads of time 2011 as well). Bostic or McClellin may take/share the SAM position anyway.
As for middle LB. Spikes is probably the ideal / best but prob way out of what we can afford with DL/Safety a higher priority, we amy be able to afford Dansby due to his age). If we can't afford/get one of the better MLBs then either resign Williams (who again looks like he could be injury prone) or sign/draft another newcomer.

Cheers
Geordie bear

Yeah read afterwards that Samuel lost his job to Alford which is probably a bad sign!
For MLB I would be ok with Williams coming back, spend the money on the front 4 and back 4