Da Bears - Monsters of the Midway Thread - Page 417 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Chicago Bears

Old 13.02.2014, 09:37 PM
All Pro

Some thoughts...

Lions cut Delmas today. There is a lot of safety talent kicking around in FA at the moment. Ward is going to get franchised/re-signed and Bird is going to be too expensive, Clemons has just signed a new deal and Mike Mitchell will probably stay in Carolina but that still leaves some really good players.

I hope Pollard and Delmas are pursued actively.

I highly doubt the pass rushing problem will be close to being solved this off season, the draft looks pretty sparse in terms of 4-3 talent and going after somebody like Michael Johnson would be a very expensive mistake. Assuming Melton recovers properly, I'm hoping his off the field stuff will make him a lot cheaper to sign.

Middle linebacker is a huge area of concern for me. I've read lots of articles praising Bostic but I can remember maybe 1 or two plays all season where he actually made a play. A big knock on him coming out was getting stuck in traffic and that proved to be all too true. He was a rookie yes but good players find ways to make plays consistently. I'll give him a pass but I'm not convinced. I think DJ Williams should be re-signed.

It's sad to say goodbye to Tillman but it's time. A great Bear who was underrated for far too much of his career, one of the very few who could slow Megatron 1v1. I think we start next season with Jennings and a draft pick. Bowman should be re-signed as cover, he played surprisingly well for a time last season. Letting go of Corey Graham still bugs me.

The Oline played okay last season and Garza was hugely important, how much is he going to want? I wouldn't have thought he would be in demand but is he old and pretty has a job lined up with Hispanic TV. He doesn't need to take a deal if the Bears decide to low-ball. him.

Cutting Michael Bush saves 2mill and would leave $8.4mill in cap space. Earl Bennett would save another 2.5. Something will need to be done with Peppers, he is pretty much the only passrusher under contract right now but he is being paid far, far too much money.

This will be a very interesting offseason. Emery has done some really good things with the offense but his defensive moves haven't been good. All this team needs is a slightly below average D to really compete.
Old 15.02.2014, 07:27 PM
Team Captain

Great post, good read and I enjoy some debate

First of emery is nothing short of a god in my eyes, he worked miracles in the offseason last year and his press conference with coach Trestman this year was a breath of fresh air after the bull Angelo served up time after time. He took ownership of problems he should and also put the spotlight on under performers!

Fa is loaded with talent your right but I don't see us perusing anything that has big cost attached to it.. Or at the very least too many. Would I welcome Delmas if his knee can hold up? Yes I most def would however the fact that lions are trying to get him to restructure suggests he won't be cheap and as a rule I think that rules us out.

I can very much see us following the same formula as last year. Last year our primary needs were along the offensive line and at LB. We brought in Bushrod and Slausen and drafted Long and Mills. Not coincidentally they comprised our starting OL. We also had needs at LB so we signed Anderson and Williams and drafted Bostic and Greene. Not coincidentally they comprised our starting LB corps.
I can see the same happening this year we will bring in guys on one year prove it deals then sprinkle in one or two mid level signings which I think will be a secondary.
Out of those available I would take ward a great pass rusher and can play either safety slot.

I would keep melton and fully expect his off field antics to calm down once fit. I expect Bostic to come good this year and I firmly believe last years crud storm will do him the world of good learning in that environment

Yea Tillman is gone great servant but I fully expect after giving good money to Jennings that we will go for a draft pick in this position, shame as I like Tillman but numbers dictate this .

The O line was immense last year and I pray for another year of good things for this unit and that includes garza who is a leader on that side of the ball. Reading between the lines if the money is correct he will be back! I hear what your saying regarding the tv etc but this dude isn't ready to hang those boots up yet but I can't think he will want the earth.

Bush gone Bennett gone and I truly believe pep is gone too he is on too much cash and he won't re negotiate to the level A) we would want him to B) to the level he deserves he was found wanting too often last year! And I'm not sorry to see him go
Old 22.02.2014, 09:00 PM
Team Captain

Just seen on Bears board that the team are wanting to keep Ratliff and Hayden, tweet from a Michael C Wright.
Lots of opinions that Ratliff could demand more than a 1-year deal, perhaps meaning one or both of Collins and Melton are gone?

Also at LB, confirmation that McClellin is working at the strong side, with hopes of bringing back DJ in the middle.

Last edited by Staley; 22.02.2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 15.05.2014, 02:45 PM
All Pro

Smile

Pro Football Focus are doing another rundown of last year's top 100 players. Marshall comes 32nd overall, and first among WRs:

Quote:
32. Brandon Marshall, WR, Chicago Bears (30th in 2012)

On receiving alone Marshall would still have made the list but ranked a ways lower. He still had a phenomenal year (as does anyone who makes this list) with impressive touchdown (12), broken tackles (13) and yards (1,295) telling part of the story. But what propelled Marshall from a man who would have our fifth highest receiving grade to top overall receiver, was his unmatched run blocking. And when we say unmatched we mean that in our six years grading nobody has ever come close, with it being nearly three times as much as the next highest graded receiver. Rarely does a receiver contribute on every down, but Marshall was that rarity.

Best Performance: Week 14, DAL @ CHI, +5.7

Key Stat: Marshall ended the year with a +17.0 blocking grade, the best of any wide receiver and the highest we’ve ever given a player at that position.
Old 19.05.2014, 08:03 PM
Pro

Default Alshon Jeffery comes in at 73 in PFF list

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
Pro Football Focus are doing another rundown of last year's top 100 players. Marshall comes 32nd overall, and first among WRs:
73rd in PFF top 101 was Alshon Jeffery, WR, Chicago Bears (Unranked in 2012)

After a quiet debut season Jeffery exploded as the Bears offense revamped itself into a high-powered passing attack. Picking up a hugely impressive 1,421 yards (while not even being the top target on his own team) Jeffery showed the kind of playmaking ability this team craved. Whether he was lined up wide or in the slot he was a mismatch for defenders, finishing the season particularly strong.

Best Performance: Week 13, CHI @ MIN, +5.1

Key Stat: Incredibly productive when lined up inside, Jeffery averaged 2.89 Yards Per Route Run from the slot. No receiver could beat or match that number.

He's the only other Bear i can see. No place for Slauson who PFF had ranked as the 6th best guard.
Old 19.05.2014, 09:19 PM
Pro

Default Webb gets another chance to make a roster...

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports...,2302781.story

Thankfully not ours
Old 26.05.2014, 08:21 PM
Hall of Fame

NFL.com article rating who might be selected as the choice for Hard Knocks has Da Bears as the number 1 rated team to be picked for the show this season.

Any thoughts?

I like it, we can spy on our friendly rivals! (Friendly compared to the poisonous venom we get from Vikings fans)
Old 26.05.2014, 09:01 PM
All Pro

I think Phil Emery effectively ruled it out a few weeks ago, but you never know.

As much as I'd like to see a closer look at the Bears, I wouldn't want it to interfere with camp or to give opponents any kind of useful insight. So no thanks, I suppose.
Old 27.05.2014, 05:34 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
I think Phil Emery effectively ruled it out a few weeks ago, but you never know.

As much as I'd like to see a closer look at the Bears, I wouldn't want it to interfere with camp or to give opponents any kind of useful insight. So no thanks, I suppose.
Agree with this. After the debacle on D last year this is one of the most important off seasons to get things right I can remember for quite a while.

Could do without the distraction.
Old 17.06.2014, 01:23 AM
Pro

Default Hard knocks - Atlanta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Bear View Post
Agree with this. After the debacle on D last year this is one of the most important off seasons to get things right I can remember for quite a while.

Could do without the distraction.
I assume you all saw it's not us but just in case...
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap200...os-hard-knocks

There was a bit more debate (93 comments) for and against here
http://www.windycitygridiron.com/201...-chicago-bears