At the moment the Defensive front 7 seems to be something like this:-

NT Goldman
DE Ratliff
DE Sutton/Ferguson
ILB Foster
ILB Bostic/McClellin
OLB McPhee/Allen/Greene
OLB Young/Houston/Jones

Will be interesting to see how the former Defensive Ends get on at Linebacker. McClellin and Allen haven't done much for us so far really.
Old 17.06.2015, 09:20 PM
All Pro

No-one believed it could happen

Old 26.06.2015, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post
At the moment the Defensive front 7 seems to be something like this:-

NT Goldman
DE Ratliff
DE Sutton/Ferguson
ILB Foster
ILB Bostic/McClellin
OLB McPhee/Allen/Greene
OLB Young/Houston/Jones

Will be interesting to see how the former Defensive Ends get on at Linebacker. McClellin and Allen haven't done much for us so far really.
I think looking at training camp that it's evolved somewhat from here.

I think the key thing Fangio wants is to be able to move people around on the front 7.

But Acho has been getting starting reps at OLB opposite McPhee.

Christian Jones is all but nailed on from what I read at ILB, he's impressed both Fangio and Fox.

Then it seems McClellin will take the 2nd ILB slot. That makes sense given his size is good for the 3-4 and he has experience taking on blockers.

Eddie Goldman has impressed also, but it will depend on if we use Ratliff at nose or end. I think we'll use a rotation of Sutton, Ferguson, Ratliff and Goldman in base situations.

It's also my understanding that we'll use 4 man front in Nickel and Dime packages which mean we won't really use the 3-4 that much if true. That is what Fangio said when talking of Allen moving to OLB anyhow. To be fair it will be like Baltimore where the OLBs keep the 8 or 9 tech but sometime

It's going to be interesting to see where Houston fits. he can't play OLB since he cannot cover. I think he has to play though, surely. Seems a good fit a DE in passing situations, but McPhee will likely steal that spot with Allen at the other spot and Ratliff +1 in the middle. I reckon he has a chance there next to Ratliff but it would be in rotation because it would be a bit soft vs the run imo.

I do think Willie Young will struggle to get snaps. Maybe in dime packages they could get him on the field, but it seems like a tough one.

Also, they've been testing out Kyle Long at tackle. I think thats a good idea. He has the athletic ability and pass blocking skills. Plus, Bushrod and Mills are awful.

Ducasse is getting first team reps at guard too. Not a huge fan of him, whereas I like Ola so I'm a bit surprised there. Also, Charles Leno is getting first team reps at RT. He can't be worse than Mills tbf.

The O-line will be interesting next year.
Old 14.07.2015, 01:39 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieBear View Post
No-one believed it could happen

Pah, details! Just sit back and enjoy the glory
Old 07.09.2015, 01:47 PM
Super Moderator

So the cuts are done and we're down to 53, ready for the season. I thought I'd post a bit about what the team looks like.

No major shocks, at least in my mind, with regards to cuts. The only marginally surprising ones being Tim Jennings last week, Jordan Mills and Michael Ola. Some might be surprised to see Mason Foster cut too, since I know a few had him in the starting two. David Bass is gone, useful player but we have enough depth on the outside I think.

I think Jennings was always a candidate for the cut, simply because he struggles so much in man coverage. A big part of the reason I did not like everyone piling blame on Rex Tucker was that the roster was dysfunctional on the defensive side. Emery did not draft Cover-2 guys but we still had a bunch on the roster. Jennings/Tillman are all about the zone defence and we will clearly play more man coverage now. It's a sensible move to let him go. Even if he is still a good corner, and one who will likely do well in Tampa.

Ola was a bit of a surprise to me. I quite like him and his versatility. I think the writing was on the wall when he was used at tackle though. I expect he'll catch on elsewhere since he looked decent. The big upshot from this move, coupled with the fact that Fox evidently likes Ducasse and our acquisition of Patrick Omameh is that the Bears will be a run heavy team - in between the tackles too. Ducasse is a big road grading run blocker and Omameh was viewed as a run blocker coming out. I expect that means we see Kyle Long move to RT.

Which brings me to Jordan Mills. He was terrble as a pass blocker. Whoever they put there is an upgrade. But I think it will be Kyle Long. If Long does not play there, it will be Leno I guess, but he seems to be preferred on the left. If Bushrod continues to play poorly I would not be shocked to see Leno get an opportunity to start at LT. Then there is Tayo Fabuluje who will be 4th choice I suspect. He had a very good outing against the Browns, but as a 7th rounder he'll have to earn it.

Mason Foster's release does not surprise me really. He was never a good fit in the 3-4. He did not have the physicality to handle the 3-4 ILB role and just couldn't get off blocks. Meanwhile, Christian Jones (who was his competition and the coverage centric of the two ILBs) has really bulked up and shown lots of promise. It's been evident since OTAs that Jones and McClellin were the likely starters. And Bostic is very safe as a recent draft pick in Round 2. Then it was Foster vs Timu. Timu obviously had the advantage of being a UFA and thus more cost effective showed enough talent that he beat Foster out for the final sport at LB.

We also have decided to go with 4 RBs. I really hope they get used. We have an awful lot of talent back there. Ka'deem Carey had a good pre-season. As did Langford. Jaquizz Rodgers offers us an outside threat. With that quartet we have some real talent. Using it could help keep Forte fresh and his average running production (excluding receiving) has, in my view, been somewhat due to a lack of rotation.

Two other players I am intrigued to see are Willie Young and Lamar Houston. I expect we'll see far more four man front that some anticipate. If so they will make good options in situational roles. Willie young impressed at times preseason. He may have more of an impact that I think many expect.

In the secondary, Terrance Mitchell looked very promising. It will be between him and Tracy Porter for the dime spot. Porter hasn't played through pre-season so it will be interesting to see where he fits. I think Mitchell has the edge since he can play the second slot role in the dime. But if either Ball or Fuller go down then Porter will likely get the nod outside.

The D-line is a bit of a mystery. Ratliff is nailed on, but suspended. Will he play Nose or End in base D? I suspect end but he got more snaps at NT in preseason so who knows? Sutton seems next most likely to start, at NT or DE. Then take your pick. Goldman will get time, but looked like he needed to be eased into starting, I don't think he's a day 1 started. Then it's Jarvis Jenkins, Ego Ferguson and Cornelius Washington battling things out. All have a shot I think.

I think the defence has some real flexibility which is what Fangio does so well. here are a few thoughts on the various situational lineups I think we might use.

1st down "base"

-------------------FS - Amos--------------- SS - Rolle-----------------------------
--CB1 - Fuller-----------------------------------------------------CB2 Ball---------
-----------ROLB:Acho----ILB1:McClellin--ILB2:Jones---LOLB:McPhee------------
--------------DE1: Ferguson------NT:Sutton------DE2:Jenkins--------------------

Nickel (2-4) (60% of snaps)
-------------------FS - Amos--------------- SS - Rolle-----------------------------
--CB1 - Fuller----CB3:McManis---------------------------------------CB2 Ball----
-----------ROLB:Allen----ILB1:McClellin--ILB2:Jones---LOLB:McPhee------------
----------------------DE1: Washington--------DE2:Sutton-------------------------

Nickel (3-3)
--CB1 - Fuller----CB3:McManis---------------------------------------CB2 Ball----
---------------LB1:Acho---------LB2:Jones----------LB3:McPhee-----------------
--------------DE1: Sutton-----NT:Goldman-----DE: Houston---------------------

Nickel (1-5)
--------OLB1:Allen---LB1--McClellin--LB2:Jones--LB3:Acho--OLB2:McPhee----
---------------------------------------NT:Sutton------------------------------------

Dime
--CB1 - Fuller----CB3:McManis-----------------CB4:Mitchell----------CB2 Ball--
-----------------------------------LB:Jones-----------------------------------------
-------------DE1:Allen---DT1:Sutton----DT2:McPhee------DE2:Young-----------

I think when you remember this shows the versatility we have on the front 7 to some degree.

I left Ratliff out, but his pass rushing gives us options. We can rotate Young and Houston in on long passing downs and use McPhee inside. We can also disguise coverage and pass rush with guys able to move around like Acho (can play inside) McClellin (can play outside standing and down), we can play Houston and willie young inside and we can be very stout using Sutton, Ferguson, Goldman and Jenkins. It's an interesting mix. I do think Fangio can use them creatively too.

Maybe none of this will lead to much success vs the Packers, but I am hopeful we'll be a much better team. Shame our schedule may yield the same record as last year though.
Old 07.09.2015, 03:09 PM
Pro Bowler

Interesting reading. Looks like we will run the ball more, hoping Carey improves a lot from last year, as we haven't really got a 'bang it in there' type runner.

Are we going to play a Full-Back this year and if so which of the Tight-Ends is assuming that role?
Old 07.09.2015, 03:20 PM
All Pro

Where Ratcliff plays might come down to what happens in the first 3 weeks, if he was starting week 1 I think he would be no.

Our pass rush will be decent, our coverage will get shredded, run d will be average. Fangio will need to rely on deception to elevate what we have, just to be competitive.

Offense wants to be conservative but that goes out the window 20+ behind, can Cutler play on the knife edge without reaching too far..hmm.

A lot of people have wanted to see long at tackle the whole time, it seems the most likely outcome of the cuts. Bushrod being banged up and below par probably all season is more worrying.

It'll be a miracle of coaching if we don't start 0-3, at that point our disjointed misfits need to be ready for the season to really begin.

I like Rodgers, blink and you missed him. Langford looks big and smooth, I think he will see a lot of the ball once the season is in the tank, audition for fortes departure.

Our wrs were looking like a good group...In May. We will be running a lot!
Old 07.09.2015, 03:25 PM
All Pro

I do think our d will be a little better than last year purely because we are far less predictable.
Old 07.09.2015, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADBEARSFAN View Post
Interesting reading. Looks like we will run the ball more, hoping Carey improves a lot from last year, as we haven't really got a 'bang it in there' type runner.

Are we going to play a Full-Back this year and if so which of the Tight-Ends is assuming that role?
Almost certainly not.

We did not line-up in the I-formation once in pre-season. The only possible candidate for that role was Bear Pascoe and we cut him.

I think we'll use an awful lot of singleback with 3 wideouts. Jeffrey and Wilson outside and Royal in the slot.

They might add to that as the season goes along with Bennett moving out wide and such but I think it's pretty vanilla from a formation perspective, at least until Kevin White is back.

I think the interesting thing on offence will be how they adjust the offensive line. I think we'll be very run heavy early on and if the line can open up running lanes everything will flow from that. If we cannot pound the ball it puts Cutler in trouble.

The other thing I am intrigued by is to what degree we play to Cutler's strengths. He is not a Qb who reads horizontal routes very well imo. Or at least he doesn't anticipate coverage so well which leads to him making bad reads. Therefore, I am really hoping they will not do a Trestman (whose offence suited mcCown and to a degree Clausen better) and make it a run heavy, play-action, vertical offence with some roll-out plays too where I think Cutler really can succeed. We'll see, I'm sure Gase has his own ideas, but it's something I will watch out for this coming week.
Old 16.09.2015, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

So a bit of a review of what we learned last week:

Good:
We are much better coached.

On offence i liked the pace of the offence. The team running a low tempo no huddle offence is a good thing. It allows Cutler to digest the defence and call out adjustments. It also allows us to control the opposing personnel. We did go away from it when we were down by two. But it has promise.

On defence we had no missed assignments. This is huge. Last year we had free runners is almost every games as players failed to understand their zones. When people go on about transitions to the 3-4 I find it pointless. The lineup does not matter a huge amount. The scheme does. Everyone knowing their job will alone make us so much better.

Cutler played smart. His passing accuracy was off by his standards but he took both sacks in the right way. In years past he would have forced it. Played with a different mentality on Sunday. Less flashy but fewer mistakes. In time I think he'll gain confidence and make more plays. I don't blame him for the pick. Good play by Matthews.

The run blocking was vastly improved. Bushrod did a fine job for a change on pulling outside. Really opened things up for Forte since we set the edge so well. Slausen being back was huge. Bushrod going out and Slauson setting the corner worked well.

I've been banging on about him all summer but I was impressed again by Shea McClellin at ILB. Played the run well and was active with engaging blockers and freeing up Jones to go and make tackles. Good from both I felt.

I liked what I saw from Rolle and Amos.

The Bad:
The secondary (all three corners) is a huge worry. Alan Ball was terrible. Could not cover James Jones. There are bigger tests to come and it's a concern. I was not at all impressed by Kyle Fuller. He was horrible from week 4-17 last year. I blamed injury, but he was poor again yesterday. Worrying.

Ducasse was appalling. Committed penalties and allowed interior pressure. I think they need a solution at either RT or RG.

The front 3 is flat. Jenkins was ok. Sutton was poor. Goldman was meh. Ferguson too. They need Ratliff back.

Martelius Bennett looked disinterested to me. Lacked a willingness to fight for the ball. The receivers looks at 50%. People were not getting open,, they were open through GB mistakes.