Premier League Thread - Page 54 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > Miscellaneous > Off-Topic - Sports

  #531  
Old 11.12.2008, 03:40 PM
Merch1's Avatar
Merch1 Merch1 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 30.05.2006
Posts: 1,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Duper View Post
You've nothing constructive to add to the discussion then eh?
I don't think much needs to be added when people who are claiming the draws are fixed have to come up with something as flimsy as:

'Maybe on the years where it didn't seem any fixing went on due to the matchups, the teams that year were doing strongly in the Champions League or something.'

Bravo on backing up your argument with such strong conviction, or something.
Reply With Quote
  #532  
Old 11.12.2008, 04:55 PM
Mark_Duper's Avatar
Mark_Duper Mark_Duper is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 18.09.2006
Posts: 5,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch1 View Post
I don't think much needs to be added when people who are claiming the draws are fixed have to come up with something as flimsy as:

'Maybe on the years where it didn't seem any fixing went on due to the matchups, the teams that year were doing strongly in the Champions League or something.'

Bravo on backing up your argument with such strong conviction, or something.
Yeah and your post is as about as much to do with attempting to be a windup merchant as it is constructive yet again.
Reply With Quote
  #533  
Old 11.12.2008, 04:56 PM
towen5's Avatar
towen5 towen5 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 16.09.2006
Posts: 9,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Duper View Post
Yeah and your post is as about as much to do with attempting to be a windup merchant as it is constructive yet again.
glad someone else has noticed this in him.
Reply With Quote
  #534  
Old 11.12.2008, 05:02 PM
Mark_Duper's Avatar
Mark_Duper Mark_Duper is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 18.09.2006
Posts: 5,147
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen5 View Post
glad someone else has noticed this in him.
How you doing towen5 mate?

You know me as well as anyone likes some banter. What is more boring than ever on this forum is just plain attempts at trying to rip someones beliefs apart without most of the time offering an alternative reason for their argument.

Its like the arguments I constantly have with my old man. Always trying to prove the other wrong or disagree for the sake of it.
Reply With Quote
  #535  
Old 11.12.2008, 05:12 PM
Bretts's Avatar
Bretts Bretts is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 02.09.2008
Posts: 5,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen5 View Post
glad someone else has noticed this in him.
Whats the matter with these cheeseheads!! I'm starting to think that they are all the same person!!
Reply With Quote
  #536  
Old 11.12.2008, 05:12 PM
Mark_Duper's Avatar
Mark_Duper Mark_Duper is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 18.09.2006
Posts: 5,147
Default

To expand on what I was saying about the Champions league or something. That if the top teams that year were having a strong run in the CL then they might have fielded weaker teams in the FA Cup games. Therefore FA wouldn't need to fix the draw as these teams might have been knocked out earlier in the rounds from a lower league team.

Going back to previous years, when maybe it was just Chelsea/Man Utd in the league top spots, teams like Liverpool/Arsenal might have fielded stronger FA Cup teams as they had been already knocked out of the CL. A chance to win some silverware.

Or that the teams remaining in the FA Cup might have made a weaker field due to the biggest teams commiting to league or CL, therefore we ended up with say a Millwall or Barnsley in the semi-finals.

All I'm saying is the FA might only fix the draw if not all of the big teams are left, to protect the final. If most of the big teams are left then theres no need to fix the draw as the final will still have some top tier premier league teams in it.

Last edited by Mark_Duper; 11.12.2008 at 05:55 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #537  
Old 11.12.2008, 06:20 PM
towen5's Avatar
towen5 towen5 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 16.09.2006
Posts: 9,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Duper View Post
To expand on what I was saying about the Champions league or something. That if the top teams that year were having a strong run in the CL then they might have fielded weaker teams in the FA Cup games. Therefore FA wouldn't need to fix the draw as these teams might have been knocked out earlier in the rounds from a lower league team.

Going back to previous years, when maybe it was just Chelsea/Man Utd in the league top spots, teams like Liverpool/Arsenal might have fielded stronger FA Cup teams as they had been already knocked out of the CL. A chance to win some silverware.

Or that the teams remaining in the FA Cup might have made a weaker field due to the biggest teams commiting to league or CL, therefore we ended up with say a Millwall or Barnsley in the semi-finals.

All I'm saying is the FA might only fix the draw if not all of the big teams are left, to protect the final. If most of the big teams are left then theres no need to fix the draw as the final will still have some top tier premier league teams in it.
I understood you completely and while i dont have much interest as i think you have to beat the best to be the best, i think its very likely that fixing is a possibility.

People are just trying to get a reaction and shoot others down.
Reply With Quote
  #538  
Old 11.12.2008, 11:15 PM
Merch1's Avatar
Merch1 Merch1 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 30.05.2006
Posts: 1,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Duper View Post
To expand on what I was saying about the Champions league or something. That if the top teams that year were having a strong run in the CL then they might have fielded weaker teams in the FA Cup games. Therefore FA wouldn't need to fix the draw as these teams might have been knocked out earlier in the rounds from a lower league team.

Going back to previous years, when maybe it was just Chelsea/Man Utd in the league top spots, teams like Liverpool/Arsenal might have fielded stronger FA Cup teams as they had been already knocked out of the CL. A chance to win some silverware.

Or that the teams remaining in the FA Cup might have made a weaker field due to the biggest teams commiting to league or CL, therefore we ended up with say a Millwall or Barnsley in the semi-finals.

All I'm saying is the FA might only fix the draw if not all of the big teams are left, to protect the final. If most of the big teams are left then theres no need to fix the draw as the final will still have some top tier premier league teams in it.
If this is the case then surely Manchester United wouldn't have been drawn against Arsenal (5th round) and Portsmouth (6th Round) in consecutive rounds last year, especially in he 6th round considering Chelsea and Boro were the only other premier teams left in the draw. If the FA were so intent on getting the top tier teams to the final why would they match up Arsenal - Newcastle and United - Spurs as far back as the 4th round?

As for 'Always trying to prove the other wrong or disagree for the sake of it.' Thats the point of a forum, you wouldn't put your opinion across otherwise.
Reply With Quote
  #539  
Old 12.12.2008, 12:14 AM
towen5's Avatar
towen5 towen5 is offline
MVP
 
Join Date: 16.09.2006
Posts: 9,807
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merch1 View Post
As for 'Always trying to prove the other wrong or disagree for the sake of it.' Thats the point of a forum, you wouldn't put your opinion across otherwise.
Im not going to play your childish games. Get your attention craves elsewhere.
Reply With Quote
  #540  
Old 12.12.2008, 03:47 AM
Merch1's Avatar
Merch1 Merch1 is offline
All Pro
 
Join Date: 30.05.2006
Posts: 1,948
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by towen5 View Post
Im not going to play your childish games. Get your attention craves elsewhere.
Excuse me? Did I refer or in anyway direct that answer at you? I'd have thought the quotation of Mark's post, an earlier quote of his given in quotation marks and answer to what he wrote would have given you a clue, obviously not.
PROTIP: Stop giving it the 'holier than thou' attitude when I said nothing to you, it kind of doesn't work.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +0. The time now is 02:13 PM.