Saints Draft thread. - Page 3 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > New Orleans Saints

Old 23.04.2010, 08:42 AM
Pro Bowler

Drafted another corner. Analysists reckon he's not first team ready and is one for the future.
Old 23.04.2010, 10:30 AM
All Pro

Patrick Robinson with his head screwed on is a phenomenal player. Patrick Robinson without his head screwed on can be a liability. This really is a boom or bust pick - but I wouldn't bet against Greg Williams getting him in form over a couple of years.
Old 23.04.2010, 07:40 PM
All Pro

So here's what I'm thinking...

A big fat run stuffer like Torrell Troup, I like Dekoda Watson as a speedy Blitzing outside linebacker, a powerful 3rd and short running back, Charles Scott please, multi purpose Jameson Konz, a back up development QB, Mike Kafka, Jevan Snead. Perhaps even an End, Greg Hardy I like... Ooo and a Guard

Will probably make up for that utterly boring Patrick Robinson pick...
Old 24.04.2010, 08:40 AM
Pro Bowler

offensive tackle and a tight end at 2nd and 3rd respectively.

The OT seems to gear towards a trade for J. Brown and will fill a hole over time. The T.E played basketball for 3 years before playing tight end for a year. Only caught 17 catches but 5 of those were for TD's. Seems the Saints are hoping to unearth the next Antonio Gates maybe??

Either way I think its been an average draft so far for the Saints. The trouble with picking last is there most be so many players you have your eye on that disappear in the mid rounds. The run of linebackers in the 2nd round last night showcased that. I don't think that there will be many DT's or LB's left that can slot in straight away now.

I reckon they will pick a QB next. There's still a few remaining and Brunell is leaving I think.
Old 24.04.2010, 08:49 AM
All Pro

Cam Thomas and Geno Atkins, might even go for Al Woods... Eric Norwood and Thaddius Gibson, Ricky Sapp might represent good value.

We had Patrick Ramsey and Simms in for visits. I think we probably go free agency for a back up QB.
Old 24.04.2010, 09:08 AM
Rookie

heres my take on the picks:

Pat Robinson CB - this probably means a shift of Malcolm Jenkins to safety. It also makes sense to get as many quality corners as possible. As one analyst pointed out, we score so quickly that teams will always be coming back against us. This means more teams trying to strech the field, meaning we have to play more nickel and dime packages

Charles Brown LT - again a suprising pick on the surface, but this fits Saints MO in drafts - take the best player avaliable regardless of position. Remember a few years ago, we took Deuce when we had Ricky Williams, Reggie when we had Deuce, and Meachem when we already had one of the deepest WR groups in the league. Also, Jammal Brown has the knees of a 50 year old, and while Jermon Bushrod played fine last year, he got owned by a limping Dwight Freeney in the Superbowl, and a dizzee DeMarcus Ware against the Cowboys. Charles Brown has first round talent, comes from USC, and I can see him starting some point this year for an injured player, and never leaving.

Jimmy Graham TE: again a similar kinda story to above. Has massive potential upside, an Antonio Gates type player. Sure we have Jeremy Shockey, but he is injured A LOT. David Thomas is great a filling holes, a hard worker, but will be a superstar. Billy Miller spent last season on IR. Giving Payton another weapon to work with is never a bad idea.

Now why haven't we drafted a linebacker or D-Lineman? Sure we signed two new guys, but I see Hargrove replacing Charles Grant as a run-stopper. DeMario Pressley showed potential as a run-stopper next to Sed Ellis. At linebacker, we effectively have Stanley Arnoux, a fourth round pick from last year, as a rookie who has had a year to learn the system.

Overall, I like the way Saints have drafted over the past few years. They dont follow convential wisdom, but thats why pundits arent working for our team. Plus, we seem to have a high hit rate in the later rounds.

WHO DAT!
Old 24.04.2010, 12:19 PM
All Pro

not sure greg williams values the OLB position that much. All about pass rush and aggressive blitzing and being nasty as **** to the opposing QB, then. And if you get by the pass rush you got a load of ball hawkers in the secondary, it relives the pressure in the middle anyway. I still expect us to go for one with one of the picks though. Probably why we're so vulnerable against the run.

Still think we need a power 3rd and short running back... and if Charles Scott or Jonathan Dwyer falls to us, I'd snap them up.

I'm still not sure we move Jenkins to safetly, he was the highest picked and rated "Corner" of last years draft, he's surely gotta be better at corner if Porter or Greer get injured. 4 teams passed on Pat Robinson, sure he's good an all but Jenkins is better. and if we wanted a safety why not try to trade down a bit for Nate Allen, and we drafted Chip Vaughen last year.
Old 24.04.2010, 01:19 PM
All Pro

I wouldn't bet on the Saints now to pick a single 'position of need'. I think they've set their stall out - Best Player Available.

The Robinson pick, the Brown pick, the Graham pick these are all high-potential guys. If Robinson develops the football smarts he's going to be a beast, if Brown can get a little more powerful (and injury concerns dry up) he'll be a great left tackle. If Graham can develop from Basketball to Football like Tony Gonzalez did - well he's got all the physical tools of a Gonzalez.

This draft may not be the best for the team next year but if it works out it'll be pretty dominant in a few years time. I also don't think it calls time on Jammal Browns career, or Jenkins at corner. I don't think these were strategic choices, they were just picking the best players. Down the line I'm sure we will see changes in those positions but I don't think they've been decided already - I think the Saints will go to camp and just see what happens and decide whats best for themselves.
Old 24.04.2010, 07:46 PM
All Pro

Well we kinda needed a big fat run stuffing nose tackle and Al Woods fits that, although I think they had they're eye on him coming into and before the draft... a guard or centre and we traded to get Matt Tennant