Game Pass 2011 - UK Blackouts - Page 11 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > National Football League > NFL TV coverage

Old 18.08.2011, 09:23 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean49 View Post
It's the same for other services we use, first example that pops into my head is Xbox Live. We actually pay more than the US given the exchange rate and VAT (at least it was last time I checked, not by much but more) yet we don't get access to Netflix and Hulu and all that good stuff. Plus we don't get a lot of the demos and videos they get in the states, tis just rubbish. We do get Sky player though, so what does that tell you?
Hulu is only available in the US, Netflix in the US and Canada but with a more limited selection in the latter. Neither of them own the rights to make their services available in any other country. Nor are the cost of such services included in the subscription price anyway. It has nothing to do with Microsoft or Sky.

As for prices, international rates fluctuate so one will always be more of less than the other. But for what is is worth, £39.99 is £34.03 less VAT while $59.99 is currently £36.33.
Old 18.08.2011, 10:09 AM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul31 View Post
It's clear you are either missing my point, or deliberately ignoring what I believe to be a fairly obvious question.

Thanks for wasting my time.
Well said Paul. You're not the only one fed up of getting the politicians tactic of answering a different question to the one that was asked.

Notice how the "is it fair" question never gets a reply as if it's never written.

Last edited by martin3026; 18.08.2011 at 10:12 AM.
Old 18.08.2011, 11:48 AM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Best way to complain about the blackouts is to write directly to the NFL and/or Sky
Been e-mailing people at nfl.com for two weeks trying to find out the person who deals with the relationship between the NFL and Sky and no response so far.
Old 18.08.2011, 12:08 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by woof1989 View Post
Been e-mailing people at nfl.com for two weeks trying to find out the person who deals with the relationship between the NFL and Sky and no response so far.
Yeah, good luck with that!
Old 18.08.2011, 12:13 PM
Pro Bowler

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9 Bear (reregistered) View Post
Yeah, good luck with that!
They've said my original e-mail was passed on to the correct person but I've not heard back since then.
Old 18.08.2011, 12:16 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesp View Post
The answer is there, the rights & restrictions were clarified and are enforced for this season.
You haven't in any sense answered Paul's question, which to repeat was:

Why have these rights and restrictions been enforced this season and not the last two?

Reasonable replies to this could be of the form:
  • Sky were concerned that they might be losing revenue as a result of...
  • With the contract due for renewal next year, Game Pass felt that...
  • I'm sorry, I can't talk about...

You chose to go a different route, your answer is instead that the reason the restrictions are being enforced this year is that they're being enforced this year.

If you're not able to answer the question it's unclear to me what you gain by not just coming out and saying so - would you have us believe that the only person reading our feedback is incapable of understanding that feedback?

Last edited by PhilJ; 18.08.2011 at 12:28 PM.
Old 18.08.2011, 12:50 PM
All Pro

Quote:
As for why do we pay the same as other countries for an inferior service? Welcome to rip-off Britain. It's the same for other services we use, first example that pops into my head is Xbox Live. We actually pay more than the US given the exchange rate and VAT (at least it was last time I checked, not by much but more) yet we don't get access to Netflix and Hulu and all that good stuff. Plus we don't get a lot of the demos and videos they get in the states, tis just rubbish. We do get Sky player though, so what does that tell you?
Both Netflix and Hulu only have rights to broadcast in the USA. In the UK, we have LoveFilm and BBC iPlayer which americans don't get.
Old 18.08.2011, 06:46 PM
Team Captain

Would anyone ca to explain why the RZ Channel is not available in the uk?

Thats now Blackout AND No red Zone Channel for the same price as in most of Europe? Starting to feel a bit pi.... Aeh, annoyed.
Old 18.08.2011, 06:47 PM
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by bGZ Mic View Post
Would anyone ca to explain why the RZ Channel is not available in the uk?

Thats now Blackout AND No red Zone Channel for the same price as in most of Europe? Starting to feel a bit pi.... Aeh, annoyed.
Because Sky own the rights to RedZone, I would imagine.
Old 18.08.2011, 07:21 PM

Quote:
My guess is someone at Sky noticed this was in the contract and hadn't been enforced and then they threw a hissy fit. It's not the guys at Gamepass' fault, they're just abiding by the contract that was signed between the NFL (UK?) and Sky which is afterall a legally binding document. It sucks and I'll think twice before renewing if the situation is the same or, please no, gets worse next season but there's nothing charlesp can say or do to make it better.
I think Bean49 is on to something. But I have no official comment beyond what I've already stated.

Tags
black out , blackout , blackouts , game pass , gamepass