Los Angeles Chargers Thread - Page 320 - NFL UK Forums
NFL UK Mobile Logo
Go Back   NFL UK Forums > 32 NFL Teams > Los Angeles Chargers

Old 25.10.2010, 08:22 AM
All Pro

Agreed, thats our year now, its about pride. We might get away with one, like in 2008, but its out of our hands now imo. Kinda liberating in a way!

Finally got to watch us, and I have to say, I was really impressed with all except the general discipline on offense and of course ST (not as bad as it has been). Woke up the neighbours during the 4th quarter when I thought weddle had got that takeaway!

I know theres going to be a lot of negatives, so I thought I'd mention the positives:

-Our D was superb. I mean really, as good as '1st in the league stats' suggest. Made the Pats look very ordinary. Particulary impressed with Barnes and Applewhite. Weddle and Jammer as good as always.

-Our 2nd string O was dangerous. To be able to slice through a D as good as the pats that easily with 2nd string players was superb. I was particularly impressed by how well the 2nd string WRs fitting into Rivers' route timing. Just wish they'd catch it a bit more often. Not so worried about the run game, the play calls were much more 'last two years' pass heavy, as much to do with the situation as anything.

-Sproles is back (thank god). I want to keep him again. Was getting worried that he'd lost interest.

-ST was bad, but an order of magnitude better that it has been.

-Ajiro took some nice catches! woo!

-The donks lost big!

and the obvious bad:

-hold the damn ball!

-read the rule book!

-Oakland won big!

Anyway, now I've accepted that we're not likely to Playoff, I'm reasonably happy- after last week I was worried we were just bad as well as stupid.
Old 25.10.2010, 08:35 AM
Team Captain

I don't blame the kicker at all, not at that distance... I personally wanted Norv to go for the 4th down, especially after the penalty took them back the extra 5 yards.

I'm also not going to be hard on Goodman... it's a rookie mistake that he won't make again. The most frustrating of the turnovers had to be the pass to Hester (think we were slightly unfortunate with the ruling, but that's just one of those things). After the whole thing with Rivers last week, and Goodmans turnover this week, you'd have thought that they'd all have playing to the whistle on their mind.

Positives... The Defence were great (although the penalty Garay gave away was frustraing). Buster was ok again and Tutu took his chances (I really hope tptb don't try bumping Tutu to the practice squad, because I don't think he'd get there even though this probably won't be an issue for a few more weeks).

I'm still feeling positive for the future with the players we have. I really think the talents there, but it's the discipline thats lacking.
Old 25.10.2010, 08:38 AM
Team Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
Our D was superb. I mean really, as good as '1st in the league stats' suggest. Made the Pats look very ordinary. Particulary impressed with Barnes and Applewhite. Weddle and Jammer as good as always.
I can never enthuse enough about Weddle, and Jammer I kinda take for granted. Barnes though... what a star! I'm so glad we took him of the Ravens practice squad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyf View Post
Anyway, now I've accepted that we're not likely to Playoff, I'm reasonably happy- after last week I was worried we were just bad as well as stupid.
That's pretty much where I'm at

Last edited by vixbolts; 25.10.2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 25.10.2010, 09:06 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by vixbolts View Post
I'm still feeling positive for the future with the players we have. I really think the talents there, but it's the discipline thats lacking.
I agree. On the whole this roster is full of talent and with the picks we have in next years draft, i hope we can add even more talent.

Thats really the only thing keeping me going. Knowing that our 2-5 record doesnt reflect the talent thats on our roster.
Old 25.10.2010, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
I don't blame the kicker at all, not at that distance... I personally wanted Norv to go for the 4th down, especially after the penalty took them back the extra 5 yards.

I'm also not going to be hard on Goodman... it's a rookie mistake that he won't make again. The most frustrating of the turnovers had to be the pass to Hester (think we were slightly unfortunate with the ruling, but that's just one of those things). After the whole thing with Rivers last week, and Goodmans turnover this week, you'd have thought that they'd all have playing to the whistle on their mind.
I thought the Hester turnover had gone forward but it was too close to overturn on replay. When it bounced off his hands I was actually thinking at the time he should have fell on it just in case so its a shame he wasn't more alert. The Sky guys were saying its coaching but if you notice the Pats players switched off as well. It was disappointing to see Rivers get another tackle. He and Scifres have had way too many this year

As for Goodman, I seem to remember a certain Vincent Jackson making a similar mistake early on in his career and if a second round pick can do it, you can't really criticise a UDFA in his first involvement from scrimmage too much
Old 25.10.2010, 11:12 AM
All Pro

Quote:
you'd have thought that they'd all have playing to the whistle on their mind.
This is the biggest problem with us right now. Norv has needed to light a fire under the players for a few weeks now and evidently isn't doing it.

Whilst Goodman's error was the very definition of "rookie mistake" I'm not so sure he does it if Norv has prepared the team properly. (And I too believe Hester's pass was forward, but he still needs to get diving on that just in case given what has gone before)

Good to see Sproles mentioned, he had a cracking game and wasn't far from busting a few big ones. If he keeps that up we need to resign him.
Old 25.10.2010, 11:35 AM
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALkulon View Post
I'm not so sure he does it if Norv has prepared the team properly
One half of me thinks its not norvs fault i mean you can tell a player until your blue in the face, you can practice drills to prevent fumbles but ulitmatley once the players are on the field of play its their responsibility to hold on to the ball.

The other half of me thinks, is norv disciplining them enough for these mistakes because they keep happening. I cant believe these mistakes are just happeneing in the games, and even if they are then so what, punish them norv. Make them do laps, make them do extra hours of practice until these people get it.

Protect the ball or dont touch the ball, period!! - right?
Old 25.10.2010, 01:20 PM
Starter

It's definitely not the kicker's fault. 50 yarders are difficult to make, and Vasquez's penalty made Brown's job harder. Not his fault at all.

Indeed, the defence were fantastic, considering the injuries we've had this season as well. I could watch the video of the stop on 4th down all day long...if only we'd won.
Old 25.10.2010, 01:24 PM
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanLegend View Post
One half of me thinks its not norvs fault i mean you can tell a player until your blue in the face, you can practice drills to prevent fumbles but ulitmatley once the players are on the field of play its their responsibility to hold on to the ball.
Yeah, but at the end of the day it's the coaches responsibility to make sure it doesn't happen (be it by screaming at them, punishing them with push ups or cuddling them as they weep gently) so I go with your latter argument, not this one.

Just as well we're not copying the Jets idea of benching fumblers, otherwise we'd only have 6 offensive players every snap!
Old 25.10.2010, 02:35 PM
Starter

Just read Don Banks' snap judgements on SI and the caption on the NFL gamecenter: Did these guys actually watch the game, or even the highlights? Despite missing a couple of tackles on ST and messing up one kickoff, where were they actually horrendous? 50 yard field goals are hard to make at the best of times, let alone with a back up kicker. Plus we made the first positive play on ST with the onside kick - without that we wouldn't have even had a chance at a game tieing field goal.